****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,333 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The DBs have been hitting CBs like crazy and we throw them in the most predictable spots

We need someone who can blow the doors off with some power
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Because if it was easy, they would. I would wager any of our hitters 1-9 would be more likely to strike out than get a bunt single the other way.

Instead of attempting it he just hits the ball in the exact same spot 95% of the time. That's obviously working

There is a reason why pretty much everyone in baseball doesn't do what your saying.
Do teams not emphasize getting on base, anymore? I am not all that up to date on the modern game.

They do. Clearly they don't think that will get them on base often enough.
Less often than the ~33% of the time guys get on base in other ways?

For the record, I'm only annoyed by it some of the time

But that only factors in on base. What about those extra bases? You'd have to be successful more like 40-43% of the time for it to make sense.
This is the maybe the best argument I've seen. Again, I think it probably varies batter to batter...there aren't many Barry Bonds types on each team. Are the majority of big league hitters more likely to hit a double or homer than a single?

I enjoy this conversation, btw

You don't have to bunt to hit it to the 3rd. Inside out swing. Tucker never does it. And I agree that the entire mlb doesn't do it either. And I think it's odd for them as well

I've never understood that term very well. What is an inside out swing?

You keep the hands in and drag the barrel to force it oppo, even on an inside pitch.

redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yeah I'm It trying to pick a fight.

If you can bunt for a single 33% of the time, then your ops is 660 assuming your not walking or getting hit by pitches. Opposing teams would take that 100% of the time.
Wouldn't the chances of a bunt single go way up against the shift, though? At least to the point that teams may stop shifting against a batter as much?

Let's take Straw, for example. Hell , even Tucker. If either of those guys get to first, the defense and pitching change a lot bc of their threat to steal 2nd.

Someone like Gallo maybe isn't as big a threat. I do remember AJ talking about him, specifically, and how they'd gladly give him 1st.
Ags #1
AG
Sneed is the last guy we need to see out of the pen
Cromagnum
AG
Way to answer.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Because if it was easy, they would. I would wager any of our hitters 1-9 would be more likely to strike out than get a bunt single the other way.

Instead of attempting it he just hits the ball in the exact same spot 95% of the time. That's obviously working

There is a reason why pretty much everyone in baseball doesn't do what your saying.
Do teams not emphasize getting on base, anymore? I am not all that up to date on the modern game.

They do. Clearly they don't think that will get them on base often enough.
Less often than the ~33% of the time guys get on base in other ways?

For the record, I'm only annoyed by it some of the time

But that only factors in on base. What about those extra bases? You'd have to be successful more like 40-43% of the time for it to make sense.
This is the maybe the best argument I've seen. Again, I think it probably varies batter to batter...there aren't many Barry Bonds types on each team. Are the majority of big league hitters more likely to hit a double or homer than a single?

I enjoy this conversation, btw

You don't have to bunt to hit it to the 3rd. Inside out swing. Tucker never does it. And I agree that the entire mlb doesn't do it either. And I think it's odd for them as well

I've never understood that term very well. What is an inside out swing?
See Derek Jeter. (Bregxit beat me)

Basically you keep your hands close to your body, inside of an inside pitch, to try and keep the barrel angled toward the opposite field
htxag09
AG
Don't even need to inside out. Just go with the pitch. They are shifting to pull then pounding the outter corner of the plate.

I get odds and percentages and apparently they say you'll still get more runs by just swinging normally. What complicates this, IMO, is when you get into crunch situations, bottom of the 9th of a playoff game and a single to the opposite field will win the game.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Yeah I'm It trying to pick a fight.

If you can bunt for a single 33% of the time, then your ops is 660 assuming your not walking or getting hit by pitches. Opposing teams would take that 100% of the time.
Wouldn't the chances of a bunt single go way up against the shift, though? At least to the point that teams may stop shifting against a batter as much?

Let's take Straw, for example. Hell , even Tucker. If either of those guys get to first, the defense and pitching change a lot bc of their threat to steal 2nd.

Someone like Gallo maybe isn't as big a threat. I do remember AJ talking about him, specifically, and how they'd gladly give him 1st.

Yes. Tucker and Reddick aren't the (usually) in the 3-4-5 spot. They are 7-8 hole hitters. And when the team is down more than 1 run you have to have base runners to have a chance.

And look at that. Tucker might as well have walked the ball to the 1st baseman
Mathguy64
AG
Right now this is just not a very good team. The staff is all rookies who have frankly pitched above their weight and veterans that are injured or not good. And the hitters are lost. They need more than Yordan.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Why is straw in CF?
bearkatag15
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Why is straw in CF?
looks like Dusty pulled Springer even thought he's up to bat next. That can't be a good thing.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Why is straw in CF?
looks like Dusty pulled Springer even thought he's up to bat next. That can't be a good thing.
That's is what I was thinking.
cap-n-jack
Wow what a turn
Farmer1906
AG
5 star on that one!
Mathguy64
AG
What a DP.
redline248
AG
Extend Correa
Farmer1906
AG

At least we're not the only ones. And George didn't look like a jackass on his bad bounce.
Cromagnum
AG
So close
Farmer1906
AG
I thought that was gone. I think Tucker did too. He should've gone for it and let Start get the bounce.
cap-n-jack
Last night that would've been out in the county somewhere
redline248
AG
Baby Bartolo time
tjack16
AG
They shoulda opened the roof again
Mathguy64
AG
Last night straw didn't look very good going back on balls. Tucker didn't look good there either.
Farmer1906
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Last night that would've been out in the county somewhere
He barreled a fastball and it was short of 400. Last might those were going 415+.
6-4-3
AG
Scrubb!!
Farmer1906
AG
Efficient
Ag_07
AG
Y'all ever think that as he's taking the ball from yet another rookie BP arm Dusty thinks to himself 'Man I did not sign up for this shlt'
Mathguy64
AG
I'll say it again. The rookies are pitching above their weight class. Without them this team is somewhere near 3-8
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

Y'all ever think that as he's taking the ball from yet another rookie BP arm Dusty thinks to himself 'Man I did not sign up for this shlt'
There is probably a lot of **** this year that Dusty thinks he didn't sign up for
Farmer1906
AG
He went from unemployed and unlikely to get another job to a team that has won 100+ games 3 years in a row and the line up that is potentially all time good. He'll survive with a stable of unproven yet talented arms.
Mathguy64
AG
So what are the chances we find out later tonight that George has a pulled hammy and is out for a month?
W
AG
Altuve can swing for the fence here
W
AG
double --- that will work too
cap-n-jack
Come on Bregs
cap-n-jack
Terrible call
First Page Last Page
Page 207 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.