****Official 2020 KBO Season Thread****

3,345 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gil Renard
toucan82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think this is the year my Doosan Bears win it
bearkatag15
AG
12th man and A&M Reference a couple minutes into the broadcast
DallasAg 94
bearkatag15
AG
Here are some explanations on each teams situation

bearkatag15
AG
https://www.twitch.tv/kbo1

https://www.twitch.tv/kbo2

KBO is also shown on twitch
KT 90
AG
I knew there would be a thread on here. At least I'm not the only one watching Korean baseball at 12:50am
KT 90
AG
And tomorrow's KBO TV game comes on at 4:30 am CST. This will make west coast games a breeze once the mlb gets up an running

bearkatag15
AG
Back to back jacks for the Dinos
bearkatag15
AG
JABQ04
AG
Koreans love their baseball. I still kick myself for not going to a game I was invited to when I was over there.
astros4545
AG
JABQ04 said:

Koreans love their baseball. I still kick myself for not going to a game I was invited to when I was over there.

I went to Game 5 of their Workd Series in 2018

Stands about 75% full

Definitely a unique baseball experience with the organized cheers and cheerleaders and pyrotechnics

Also, at least 50% of the crowd was women, which was just very strange to see at a sporting event of any type
The Lost
It's interesting to see they're all owned by corps.

Kinda glad we don't have the facebook giants vs the morgan stanley yankees or exon astros vs budweiser cardinals, but it would also just add to some of the hate for the west coast since google would get in, at least one would build a nice park for oakland.
amercer
AG
The Lost said:

It's interesting to see they're all owned by corps.

Kinda glad we don't have the facebook giants vs the morgan stanley yankees or exon astros vs budweiser cardinals, but it would also just add to some of the hate for the west coast since google would get in, at least one would build a nice park for oakland.

Here we just make the owners of huge companies buy the teams with their personal funds. Interestingly in Korea, all the large companies are run by cartels of extended families.

Most of my neighbors are desperately waiting for Bezos to save the redskins
agsalaska
AG
I watched the opening day game and am in the 8th of this game. So far its been really good baseball.

I can tell you this, I will know an awful lot about these teams in about two months.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agsalaska
AG
Also, they look like they have a ton of fun playing.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Standings and stats. Interesting that they have a column for tie games in the standings.

http://eng.koreabaseball.com/Standings/TeamStandings.aspx
ptothemo
AG
Yeah, they call a regular season game a tie after 12 innings. Heard it during one of the broadcasts the other day.

Even more interesting is that a google just told me that they call playoff games a tie after 15 innings. No idea how that works.
I just turned on the KT Wiz and the NC Dinos game. There is someone in this empty stadium that has an
old-school whistle and is letting it rip. WTF? It's as bad (or worse) as the Vandy whistler.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Are they piping in crowd noise in these broadcasts? It doesn't sound like just the guys in the dugouts.
ptothemo
AG
Related to your question and the comment before about the Korean Whistler, they are letting the cheerleaders sit in the stands. The mascots too. No idea what the point of the mascot is other than a 30 second shot at some point during the TV broadcast.
I've watched enough of the games now to learn that the broadcast combo of John Sciambi and Eduardo Perez are uproariously funny in a very low key dead-pan manner. It took me a minute to figure out that Eduardo is Tony Perez's son, and he himself had a decent 13 year career in the bigs.

NC Dinos and the Doosan Bears have been involved in a good series. Doosan has a LHP that just threw a 49 mph curveball for a strike
agsalaska
AG
Im still with it and hope a lot of yall are too. Probably watching my 12th game tonight.

Clearly a completely different style of baseball compared to MLB. But I like it. I think anyone who is a fan of NCAA ball will like it too. They are mostly better than college players but they play a similar style. Its like watching the 85 Cardinals.

I find myself going for the guys from our hemisphere a lot. Especially when they are pitching. And I have grown to like the commentary.
agsalaska
AG
Oh. And this guy. Park Yong-taik. The all time hits leader that plays for the Twins. I like watching him hit.
The Shank Ag
Good amount of fans

Speaking of Hanwha, the front office just fired all of the coaching staff and demoted 10 everyday players to their version of the minor leagues. You don't see that every day.
agsalaska
AG
So I have this strange obsession with baseballs. I have it for golf balls too. I have several cool baseballs in a display case from parks I have gone too plus some older balls plus a few autographed(though I could care less about getting autographs). I also supply the balls for my son's baseball teams. Diamonds are, IMHO, the best ball out there.

That all being said I have been obsessed with the Korean ball and specifically how they just recently came out with a uniform ball across the league. So I bought one off of Ebay last week for $20 free shipping.

Cool ball. Really nice leather as you would expect. The seams are a tic higher than MLB seams but are not raised like high school balls. Somewhere in between. Most importantly it is made in Sri Lanka at a factory that Wilson used to make the A1010 in before moving to the evil communist country named after a virus.

Anyway I gave it to my son who took it to practice last night. I told him that it could stay in the bucket for a while but I wanted it in the display case before they beat it up too much. He got there with it in his hand but decided to just put it in his bag for safe keeping. I think he has the same obsession I have.
agsalaska
AG
To add to my own story about the ball, my son, who is 8, thinks the Korean balls bounce higher than MLB balls. He has this opinion after watching several hard hit ground balls with what appeared to be bigger second hops than first hop. I think he is just bored. He wanted to test his theory on the sidewalk but I had to put a stop to that real quick.
It's definately a hot ball. Dudes are hitting in the .480's, and balls are flying over the fences at a record pace for the KBO.

I find it very interesting that up until this year (or last year, not exactly sure when) that there were 6 different types of certified baseballs in the KBO, and that visiting teams often didn't know what ball would be used for any given game.
ptothemo
AG
That's really cool, and I am glad to hear that the obsession is moving down the generations in your family. I remember being a kid and having a ball that my dad cut in half for me and just marveling at the overall construction, particularly the length of the yarn inside and the actual pill at the core.

I don't have my hands on baseballs much these days, but I do share in your thoughts about Diamond making the best balls. I still have a ball that I got at a Baylor baseball camp years ago (1996ish) that was made by Diamond and was basically the ball to which other balls, in my opinion, should be measured. Big, raised seams, leather with some actual grip, etc.

Tying all of this together, I caught the very end of Keith Olbermann being a guest on the KBO broadcast this morning. In the part I caught, he had a really old ball in his hand and was telling the story behind it. I think that it was a part of a larger conversation about balls that he collects and the historical relevance of them.
agsalaska
AG
Cool. I watch the recorded games the next night. I will have to watch for that. I like Olberman as long as he is not talking politics.

Yea Diamond baseballs are the standard. I know nothing of synthetic balls, but from the cheapest leather balls up to the best high school balls, they beat everyone. Wilson is a close second. The Wilson balls are probably more durable but not quite as smooth. The Rawlings balls are fine too, but they seem to be less in quality at the lower price points. Obviously their higher end stuff is really good. Every other brand I have seen fall behind those three.

Most kids just reach in the bucket and grab the shiniest ball. My son goes for specific balls. I am not sure if that is a blessing or a curse.

To Bobby Petrino's Neckbrace, I was surprised by that as well but probably shouldn't be. Most soccer leagues including the Premier League only standardized their balls across all games in the last ten years. And I am pretty sure NCAAs are only conference wide across all sports, but that may be wrong. Hell I also learned that the Japanese baseball was slightly smaller until 2007 I think.
agsalaska
AG
So what happened? No longer in ESPN?
The games are still on ESPN.

Also, after losing 18 games in a row, the Hahnwa Eagles got off the schneid with a double header sweep!

Miracles never cease.
agsalaska
AG
Yea I found it. The time moved and it thre off my recording.

Watched the Eagles win like 9-0 the other night. They are going all the way!!!!
Gil Renard
AG
How can you continue to watch KBO after espn doesn't carry anymore?
I watched it this morning, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.