Bolsinger Sues Astros

3,577 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AustinAg2K
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2020/02/10/mike-bolsinger-sues-houston-astros-says-cheating-changed-his-career/4712164002/

Lawyers will have to help me out, but I heard the Astros offered to double his salary to become their new batting practice pitcher. Doesn't that mean there are no damages incurred?
DallasAg 94
cc10106
Oh, pobrecito. This is such a joke. Dude was bad before he played the Astros and just needs to accept it. Maybe then he'll move on.
MaxPower
DallasAg 94 said:

MaxPower said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2020/02/10/mike-bolsinger-sues-houston-astros-says-cheating-changed-his-career/4712164002/

Lawyers will have to help me out, but I heard the Astros offered to double his salary to become their new batting practice pitcher. Doesn't that mean there are no damages incurred?
By offering double his salary, isn't that an admission by the Astros they believe he was wronged?

Would you want to work for an organization that cheated and as a result ended your career?

There are going to be many people who feel the Astros cost them big money.

And for him it doesn't appear to be about the money... remedy is supposed to go to charity.
User name checks out. And I don't think you read my post, they wouldn't be paying him because they wronged him. His services would have been invaluable here......
EVA3
AG
Last gasp money grab before he starts his second career.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
EVA3 said:

If he's going to give damages to charity, would you mind explaining how its a money grab?
03_Aggie
lda6339 said:

EVA3 said:

If he's going to give damages to charity, would you mind explaining how its a money grab?

Why am I not surprised that you need help understanding something...

Quote:

Yes, Bolsinger is seeking unspecified damages, but they're not all for himself. He wants the Astros to forfeit the roughly $31 million in bonuses from their ill-gotten World Series title, and for the money to go to charities in Los Angeles

Apparently the guy is just as bad at selecting lawsuit opportunities as he is at pitching.

MaxPower
Not really a big deal. If it goes anywhere Crane should sue Manfred for not investigating all teams and having those teams share in the damages. Now that would be some tasty discovery.....
Wabs
AG
This could open the door for thousands of lawsuits against MLB and other teams that employed players like Bonds, McGwire, Canseco, Sosa, Palmeiro, Clemens, Pettitte, Braun etc. If this dude can effectively pin his monetary losses to a few outings against the Astros, who's to say that there aren't hundreds (if not thousands) of players that lost money due to their poor performance against other cheaters?

How about poor performance against pitchers that used substances on their gloves (Whitey Ford, Hershiser, Perry, Tommy John, Pineda, etc.)?

What about pitchers that faced hitters that used corked bats (Sosa, Belle, Sabo, etc)?

wangus12
AG
Agreed. Losing one outing doesn't end a career. It was his 11th game for Toronto. If he was good in the first 10, getting destroyed in the 11th start doesn't end a career. Most pitchers in the league have had a terrible outing.
Frok
AG
Nice try buddy. I guess he gets his 15 minutes.

Aggies2009
AG
I feel like he's trying to make a point and keep the whole "CHEATING" thing in the spotlight, not necessarily win.
. . .
Quote:

bit.ly/2tKBQ5u

"It's anger, especially when you go back at the video of them being accused and kind of jokingly laughing about it," Bolsinger said in a telephone conversation Monday.

"That's what you gets you the most the lying to everyone, knowing that they were doing something. That's what angers me the most about the whole thing."

"To look back on it now ticks me off even more," he said. "I am a deceptive pitcher. That is how I pitch, and if I can't do that, if somebody knows what is coming, it changes the game completely.

"At the moment, I was thinking, 'What do I have to do to get these guys out?' I thought they were the best team I had played against. I looked at video to see what I had done wrong with my arm angle or my release, and I couldn't figure it out at the time."

He said he decided to file suit in the wake of what he considered the light punishments handed down by Major League Baseball.

"We were all surprised by the initial punishment," he said. "Let's face it, those guys who were suspended will get jobs again. That's how it is. Welcome to the real world."

He has not heard from Keuchel, his former college teammate, since news broke of the impact of the Astros' scheme against his career, and he doesn't think that apologies from anyone associated with the Astros will suffice.

"I don't think apologies are enough," he said. "If that were the case, Pete Rose would be in the Hall of Fame by now. No, I don't think that is sufficient."

All Bolsinger wanted out of baseball, he said, was a chance to determine his own fate on the mound.

"That day, I don't think I was the one deciding my fate," he said. "Somebody knew what was coming out of my hand before I threw the ball.

"I don't want this to get swept under the rug, and it looked like things might be going that way. I don't want the next generation of baseball players to think that cheating is OK, or else the saying 'If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying,' will be true."
Deluxe
AG
Frok said:

Nice try buddy. I guess he gets his 15 minutes.
Yea, I think he probably views this as a no-lose situation for him. He gets his 15 minutes. He's angry at the Astros (rightfully so to some extent) and wants to keep them in the news. He could potentially get personal monetary damages and help charities. Why not?

But I don't think he's smart enough to understand the can of worms that this precedent would open. Also don't think he's put much thought into how bad it would be for the game if the Astros were able to use the full measure of the law to defend themselves. As an Astros fan, I'd love to see this get drawn out in court. Lots of people I'd love to see on the stand, with felony perjury hanging over any lies. But that would be bad for the game, as is this lawsuit. Hopefully it's dismissed sooner rather than later.
Flexbone
[url]https://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/82491/everything-you-need-to-know-about-sign-stealing[/url]

Maybe he should blame...every team in baseball?
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
03_Aggie said:

lda6339 said:

EVA3 said:

Quote:

Yes, Bolsinger is seeking unspecified damages, but they're not all for himself. He wants the Astros to forfeit the roughly $31 million in bonuses from their ill-gotten World Series title, and for the money to go to charities in Los Angeles

Apparently the guy is just as bad at selecting lawsuit opportunities as he is at pitching.

Never met a money grabber that also fights on behalf of charity
astros4545
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
03_Aggie said:

lda6339 said:

EVA3 said:

Quote:

The thought of the Astros giving back the $31 million reminds me of the scene in Ocean's 12 where the reunite and see how much money everyone has left from their take. You envision Verlander and Altuve have taken the money and grown it into more, while Josh Reddick has like $43 left from his cut.
MaxPower
I would love to see this go to discovery. The Astros dirty laundry has already been aired but Manfred and Co. haven't. I can only imagine Beltran getting deposed.

Astros Lawyer: Did you help implement the sign stealing system used by the Astros in 2017?

Beltran: Yes

Astros lawyer: But you were new to the team in 2017. Did you come up with the system all on your own?

Beltran: No

Astros lawyer: please describe where the idea for this system originated?

Beltran: I had experience with using technology for sign stealing prior to becoming an Astro.

Astros lawyer: You were on the Yankees and Rangers the season before. Is that where you learned of this system?

Beltran:......

I think you can put together his likely response.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
MaxPower said:

I would love to see this go to discovery. The Astros dirty laundry has already been aired but Manfred and Co. haven't. I can only imagine Beltran getting deposed.

Astros Lawyer: Did you help implement the sign stealing system used by the Astros in 2017?

Beltran: Yes

Astros lawyer: But you were new to the team in 2017. Did you come up with the system all on your own?

Beltran: No

Astros lawyer: please describe where the idea for this system originated?

Beltran: I had experience with using technology for sign stealing prior to becoming an Astro.

Astros lawyer: You were on the Yankees and Rangers the season before. Is that where you learned of this system?

Beltran:......

I think you can put together his likely response.
Take the tinfoil hat off my dude, you're embarrassing yourself
Beat40
Based on the articles coming out about Beltran now, where do you think he likely learned about other sign stealing schemes to the point where he told Astros staff that the stuff they were doing in regards to sign stealing was way behind everyone else?
DallasAg 94
Wabs
AG
Beat40 said:

Based on the articles coming out about Beltran now, where do you think he likely learned about other sign stealing schemes to the point where he told Astros staff that the stuff they were doing in regards to sign stealing was way behind everyone else?
This right here should warrant an investigation of the NYY. But for anyone believing that it will, I have some ocean front property........
. . .
. . .

https://www.scribd.com/document/447356426/Wallach-Lawsuit

annie88
AG
He's a p*ssy. Screw him.
. . .
AustinAg2K
Wabs said:

Beat40 said:

This right here should warrant an investigation of the NYY. But for anyone believing that it will, I have some ocean front property........
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.