Tony La Russa had sign-stealing system with White Sox in '80s

1,440 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SquirrellyDan
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28503160/jack-mcdowell-says-tony-la-russa-had-sign-stealing-system-white-sox-80s

Jack McDowell said:

"We had a system in the old Comiskey Park in the late 1980s," McDowell, who coaches at Queens University, told the radio station Friday. "The Gatorade sign out in center had a light; there was a toggle switch in the manager's office and [a] camera zoomed in on the catcher.

"I'm gonna whistle-blow this now because I'm getting tired of this crap. There was that -- Tony La Russa is the one who put it in. ... He's still in the game making half a million, you know? No one is going to go after that. It's just, this stuff is getting old where they target certain guys and let other people off the hook."
03_Aggie
Where's that cardinals fan that talks to himself on the Cardinals thread? Isn't La Russa their most successful manager?
themissinglink
AG
Looks like he got a cushy gig with the Angels this season... Waiting on them to fire him.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Started in the 1980's...I'm sure it's just white Sox, Red Sox, and Astros
misterguinness
AG
They won't go after La Russa, no way. McDowell will be Canseco'd and spun to be a liar. Anyone who doesn't believe McDowell is very ignorant.
2+2=5
W
AG
I would be disappointed if he didn't have a system back in the day.

LaRussa was on the cutting edge/leading edge of everything back then...for better or for worse
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Show me the memo from the league office banning it, and LaRussa continuing it for the playoffs and another entire season, and I'll jump on the ban wagon.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Show me the memo from the league office banning it, and LaRussa continuing it for the playoffs and another entire season, and I'll jump on the ban wagon.

What will you do if he shows you? Give Astros their championship back? Make them one of the favorites again? Oh wait.....
JJxvi
AG
The system described by McDowell has always been illegal/banned
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

What will you do if he shows you? Give Astros their championship back? Make them one of the favorites again? Oh wait.....

I don't remember the White Sox winning a WS under LaRussa, much less a playoff series.
Harry Dunne
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

SquirrellyDan said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I don't remember the White Sox winning a WS under LaRussa, much less a playoff series.
You're right, he probably completely stopped doing it with the A's and Cardinals.

Like all the guys that quit steroids cold turkey and then got even better after doing so.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

SquirrellyDan said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Why do you think that might be? Think hard...what did the 17 Astros team have that the 80s Sox didn't? Hint: it starts with t and ends with alent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.