*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,686 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
BCSGrubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Post removed:
by user
the last of the bohemians
Cole was the obvious choice to bring in, when Greinke got taken out. We all saw Cole's post game reaction, he not only wanted to pitch, expected to pitch, but was besides himself that he did not get that opportunity.
Anyhow, this year's Astros team has the chance to be the greatest offense ever, let's enjoy it while it lasts.
Mr.Bond
AG
third coast.. said:

What was it for

Not allowed to talk about it...... Out of fear the hammer will drop again

But my premium membership which I just renewed for the first time in a year..... Will not be renewing in February
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Post removed:
by user
bearkatag15
AG
Quote:

The best version of Pruitt would be one who pounds the bottom of the zone with his plus curve and slider, fools hitters above the zone with his rising fourseam fastball, and uses his change to get groundballs along the way.

Quote:

Here's the thing about Pruitt's curveball: his spin rate is elite. The curveball is the one that's popped the most to me in researching Pruitt.

Where Charlie Morton's and Tyler Glasnow's curveball have averaged 2879 RPM this season, Austin Pruitt's has ranked sixth at 3,046 RPM. He's allowed only two base hits on the pitch this season. He can locate it alongside the slider pretty well too.

https://www.draysbay.com/2019/6/20/18692795/unlocking-austin-pruitt-rays-analysis

So this dude is the exact thing we look for...
the last of the bohemians
I like this trade
n_touch
third coast.. said:

You can PM me

Then you can PM everyone else
bearkatag15
AG
Quote:

Austin Pruitt had one memorable outing against the Yankees in 2018 where he flashed the curveball most of all (50% of the time) and cut the team to pieces in a four-out appearance. I wonder what his results would look like if the breaking balls were his bread and butter instead of misplaced heaters.

I like this
Deluxe
AG
Tons of controllability too. Hometown guy. Worth a shot.
bearkatag15
AG

Next Morton?
Mr.Bond
AG
n_touch said:

third coast.. said:

You can PM me

Then you can PM everyone else

They're always watching........
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Next Morton?

Low 90's fastball. Only 5'-10". I'd say no to CFM, but maybe he can approach an LMJ.
Deluxe
AG
Yea, I tend to think the team that currently has CFM wouldn't give up the next CFM for meh prospects. That doesn't mean we can't turn him into a solid innings eater though.
Farmer1906
AG
Ags #1
AG
Could care less about fines or draft picks. And not that concerned about suspensions for a month or more of AJ or Lunhow. Now if they ban Lunhow for life thats a different story.
Post removed:
by user
bearkatag15
AG
Today is a big day for arbitration with the deadline being 12pm CT. McTaggart put out a summary on the 6 arbitration eligible players.

Quote:

The Astros have six arbitration-eligible players remaining ahead of Friday's noon CT deadline to exchange salary figures. That list includes five former All-Stars -- outfielder George Springer, shortstop Carlos Correa, closer Roberto Osuna, infielder Aledmys Daz and right-hander Chris Devenski -- and veteran right-hander Brad Peacock.

Here's a closer look at the Astros' six arbitration-eligible players, with all projected numbers from Cot's Baseball Contracts:

OF George Springer
Stats in 2019: .292 average, 39 homers, 96 RBIs, .974 OPS in 122 games
Projected salary: $20.75 million
The Astros avoided arbitration with Springer two years ago by agreeing to a two-year, $24 million extension. In his final year of club control, Springer may earn almost as much as that two-year total in one season alone. Only four arbitration-eligible players have received $20 million or more, so Springer could be in elite company. The question remains whether the Astros will try to sign Springer to a long-term deal before he hits free agency after next season.

SS Carlos Correa
Stats in 2019: .279 average, 21 homers, 59 RBIs, .926 OPS in 75 games
Projected salary: $8 million
Correa played in only 75 games in the regular season last year because of two significant injuries -- a recurring back ailment that sidelined him for a month from August to September and a fractured rib he suffered while getting a massage, putting him out two months from May to July. When healthy, he's one of the elite shortstops in the game, a clutch player who has 11 career postseason homers before turning 26. He made $5 million in '19 and is in line for a pay raise ahead of his penultimate season before being eligible for free agency.

RHP Roberto Osuna
Stats in 2019: 38 saves in 44 chances, 2.63 ERA, 0.88 WHIP
Projected salary: $9.5 million
In his first full season as the Astros' closer, Osuna had his patches of inconsistency but put up a solid season and led the American League in saves. He became the youngest pitcher to notch 150 career saves and ranked fourth among qualified AL relievers in WHIP. Osuna made $6.5 million last season.

RHP Brad Peacock
Stats in 2019: 7-6 record, 4.12 ERA in 23 games
Projected salary: $4.75 million
The longest-tenured pitcher on the club, Peacock has served in various roles with the Astros the last few years. Last year, he began the season in the rotation before shifting to the bullpen, making two appearances on the injured list along the way. Peacock is projected by Cot's to make $4.75 million in his final season before free agency after making $3.11 million last year.

INF Aledmys Daz
Stats in 2019: .271 average, 9 homers, 40 RBIs, .823 OPS in 69 games
Projected salary: $3 million
The versatile Daz was held to a career-low 57 games due to two stints on the injured list in his first season with the Astros. He made 55 starts in 2019, including 18 at first base, 16 at second base, 15 at third base, three in left field, two at shortstop and one at designated hitter. He's in his first year of arbitration-eligibility.

RHP Chris Devenski
Stats in 2019: 4.83 ERA in 61 games
Projected salary: $2 million
After producing a 2.38 ERA and 0.93 WHIP across 110 games in his first two seasons in the big leagues, Devenski has a 4.56 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 111 games in the past two seasons. Still, he possesses a swing-and-miss changeup and could emerge as a key part of an Astros bullpen that has lost Will Harris, Collin McHugh and Hctor Rondn. He needs to get back to using his fastball/changeup mix to miss bats like he did in 2017-18 and that starts with good fastball command. Devenski is in his second year of arbitration.
Deluxe
AG
I think the Braves had a GM a few years ago who was banned for life for manipulating the international signing pool system. It is rare though.
astros4545
AG
Don't understand how projection for Osuna can be over $9M and Correa only $8M

More surprised at how Osuna can be so high
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Again, I go scorched earth if I'm the Astros if the penalty is too harsh.
Farmer1906
AG
Cards got fined 2 M and 2 1st Rounders when they hacked us.

Seems like MLB wants to try and end this and sweep the rest of the cheating under the rug. I wouldn't mind this being a rallying call for our boys. Put a giant chip on the shoulder and play up the whole us vs the world.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Don't understand how projection for Osuna can be over $9M and Correa only $8M

More surprised at how Osuna can be so high

Isn't Osuna in year 3 while Correa is year 2 and missed most of the year.
Deluxe
AG
When Passan's "harsh Astros punishment within the next two weeks" story broke within an hour of the Red Sox cheating story a few days ago, I resigned myself a bit to some pretty harsh penalties. It seemed like MLB quickly leaked info to Passan to discourage the idea of "everyone was doing it" as a legitimate excuse for the Astros and to continue setting the table for harsh penalties.

I thought cooler heads would ultimately prevail because this is whole situation is a bad look for the Astros AND MLB. The inner circles of MLB have known this stuff was going on for years, as evidenced by the fact that they issued statements and put new rules into effect to combat it. And even knowing all that, they still allowed replay rooms to be situated right next to the dugouts! They allowed the answers to the tests to be put right in front of players/coaches and stupidly assumed no one would look. These recently surfaced revelations against the Astros and Red Sox show they were either incompetent or willingly negligent in their ability to police the game. Now they're acting all faux surprised.

The Astros deserve to be punished for getting caught breaking the rules and a certain level of punishment is necessary to appease the outrage out there. But I would have also thought MLB wouldn't want punishments to be too draconian so as to risk Astros blowback (i.e. messy appeals process and various leaks about similar cheating incidences around the league... which would be bad for league credibility). Sounds like MLB doesn't care about any of that, but I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising given their incompetence in other aspects of managing the game.

Assuming the penalties are harsh, I'll be interested to see Crane's next move. He doesn't seem like the type to just go down quietly.
agproducer
AG
It's pathetic to see the reactions to that tweet on Twitter. All other fans whose teams cannot compete are calling for a so-called "death penalty" and postseason ban for the Astros in the hopes their teams will finally be able to make the playoffs.

I'm concerned about the punishment, but as long as the players aren't suspended -- I think we'll be ok. Also, I don't see the MLB stripping the title or banning postseason play because that is penalizing the players. The MLBPA would have a LOT to say about that.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm assuming all this proof is going to come out with the punishment correct? What about the Red Sox what's their punishment for all their b*******

bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe
AG
It will be very interesting to see how much detail MLB offers to support its punishment, in the press release and subsequent media availability. It will also be interesting to see what the Astros response is. Will we issue a press release of our own countering some of MLB's claims? Will we have media availability? I suspect Hinch especially will have something to say.

(I'd rather Hinch be made available for comment than Luhnow. Luhnow can get kinda bumbly when addressing serious topics. Hinch is much more direct and confident sounding)

With regard to the Red Sox, I suspect they will ultimately be punished harshly as well for continuing the practice after MLB told them not to. But I think their punishment will be less than ours because, in fairness, it was a bit less egregious (based on what is publicly known anyway).
HossAg
AG
I hate sports
Teddy Perkins
AG

Changing diapers or changing teams? Who knows what this is in reference to.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Also, Mookie is staying with the Sox.

astros4545
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Also, Mookie is staying with the Sox.

He was always going to come to an arbitration agreement
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.