*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,758 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Bo starts an inferno. Dante's Bichette?

*I realize it doesn't follow the rhyming scheme.
Panama Red
AG
mazag08 said:

Planning on going live with the season thread Wednesday.

If you have "never been used before hotties or TOFA" now would be the time to PM me the gif link.
Its Wednesday. TICK TOCK!!!
mwm
You're not suggesting the yankees are involved, are you?
Big Al 1992
AG
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

And then will blame the Astros for when his career tanks
agsquirrel97
AG
My wife is getting rotator cuff surgery from Dr Lintner right now and he seems to be in mid season form!
bearkatag15
AG

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Mathguy64
AG
Looks like Toronto will use PNC Park for their "home games". Schedule conflicts with the Pirates home dates will force Toronto to play some "home" games while away against NYY and Nats.

What a joke.
Mathguy64
AG
They announced he tested positive? I thought that was not allowed?
Teddy Perkins
AG
bearkatag15
AG
I think stuff can still get leaked if beat writers have the sources. I guess all of our beat writers blow donkey nuts and don't have **** for sources
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Luckily most of the times we were at third it was just to jog by on a round trip....plus he wouldn't hold anyone on. I'd be a little worried about Yuli, he might have been the closest to him
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2688417/there-are-rumors-that-mookie-betts-could-be-signing-a-monster-extension-with-the-dodgers-and-i-think-i-believe-em

Well we better resign Springer ASAP if Betts gets the extension with LAD. If not, Boston will come calling George in the offseason for sure now.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2688417/there-are-rumors-that-mookie-betts-could-be-signing-a-monster-extension-with-the-dodgers-and-i-think-i-believe-em

Well we better resign Springer ASAP if Betts gets the extension with LAD. If not, Boston will come calling George in the offseason for sure now.

Have you seen Boston's payroll?

They have quite a bit locked up in Sale, Evoldi, JD, Bogaerts, & still paying some of Price.

Plus some of their cheap league min guys start hitting arbitration.
bearkatag15
AG

Ag_07
AG
There will be plenty of teams coming for George but I'm not sure BOS is one of them.

They were just trying to dump payroll this past offseason and with the loss of revenue with the short season I'm not really convinced they're ready to start throwing crazy money around again.
Mathguy64
AG
Ugh. 10/350 would send massive shockwaves through the system. 10/400 would be a nuke going off. Imagine what Judge will get in a couple of years.
Jackal99
AG
mathguy86 said:

Ugh. 10/350 would send massive shockwaves through the system. 10/400 would be a nuke going off. Imagine what Judge will get in a couple of years.
Injured again?
Mr.Bond
AG
If I am a GM/Owner Im very cautious right now giving a massive deal. The future of the game and its revenue is far from a sure thing.

That kind of goes for all sports, fan support on the surface seems to be way down. Every day sports gets more political it loses more fans
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

lunchbox
cpsencik04 said:

Luckily most of the times we were at third it was just to jog by on a round trip....plus he wouldn't hold anyone on. I'd be a little worried about Yuli, he might have been the closest to him
Or Maldonado at catcher...
Farmer1906
AG
Keep in mind Betts is 27. A 10 year deal gets you year 28-33/34 of prime with years 34-37 of decline at the same 35-40 M rate.

George is going to be 31 when he hits the market. Any deal he gets is going to only get a couple years left at peak or near peak. While Betts & George are the 2 best OFs that could hit the market, I don't think they'll see anything close to the other.

George's best comps are going to be Cespedes (4 year 110 M), Blackmon (6 year 108 M), Upton (5 year 106 M), McCutchen (3 year 50 M). All guys who signed in the 30-32 range. I think George will be on the high end. Maybe 4 year 115 M? 5 year 125 M?
tjack16
AG
It's funny to me that every Fanbase hates all the Astros and wishes physical injury upon them But they also all want George Springer on their team next year
Mr.Bond
AG
tjholley16 said:

It's funny to me that every Fanbase hates all the Astros and wishes physical injury upon them But they also all want George Springer on their team next year
Every fan base and team would trade for or take any of our top 7-8 players immediately with no remorse. Their jerseys would sell out in no time

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bearkatag15
AG
gig them
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

I've enjoyed our social media shift over the past 24 hours. Banners, rings, and a healthy reminder to the AL that the road to the WS still runs through the H.
Mathguy64
AG
"There were issues raised with other clubs as well."

Ok Rob. Name them. Go ahead. You have the mic and we are all listening.

No? Cat got your tongue?
Deluxe
AG
I think the problem with "raising issues" is that it turns into a game of he said/she said. Actually proving something is a different matter. From the commissioner's office, Manfred can't make accusations and levy punishments without a very high level of proof. Otherwise the accused can just deny or plead ignorance (like the Red Sox did in their "investigation") and file grievances if punished.

Manfred didn't do anything about the Astros when the complaints were initially raised because nothing could be proven. Fiers squeal-job and the YouTube videos gave him the ammo. Unfortunately the other cheaters did a better job covering their tracks.

But it's worth noting that even with such a high bar of proof necessary to advance punishment, the Red Sox and Yankees were STILL disciplined for cheating.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

Spineless.

Also, these idiots just keep making the chip on the Astros shoulder bigger. Looking forward to this season. I hope If we're up 12-3 on the Dodgers we're still playing like is 1-0 in the 9th.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

I think the problem with "raising issues" is that it turns into a game of he said/she said. Actually proving something is a different matter. From the commissioner's office, Manfred can't make accusations and levy punishments without a very high level of proof. Otherwise the accused can just deny or plead ignorance (like the Red Sox did in their "investigation") and file grievances if punished.

Manfred didn't do anything about the Astros when the complaints were initially raised because nothing could be proven. Fiers squeal-job and the YouTube videos gave him the ammo. Unfortunately the other cheaters did a better job covering their tracks.

But it's worth noting that even with such a high bar of proof necessary to advance punishment, the Red Sox and Yankees were STILL disciplined for cheating.

I get what you're saying, but two things:

1) Manfred had already issued letters, warnings, and made rule changes in relation to the issue going into 2019. He easily could have said "we have already taken care of the issue and addressed the situation."

2)He should have ran investigations simultaneously. At minimum he should have issued punishments simultaneously. By not doing that, he ensured no one else would talk.
Teddy Perkins
AG
2020 official season thread is up boys!
Deluxe
AG
Fair points
Ag_07
AG
Two simple follow up questions any reporter worth 2 shlts would've asked...

What teams were they?

Were investigations launched regarding those teams?
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Fair points

By the way, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I agree with you that he can't investigate without evidence based. It certainly was he said/he said type stuff.

I just think he didn't really want to dig deeper into the issue, but was forced to because of the evidence presented on one team and a former player who had an axe to grind. He showed that by not doing a deep investigation when he had a chance in 2017/2018.

And yes. The yankee/Red Sox stuff is frustrating since they were disciplined in the same year for cheating, but everyone wants to give them the benefit of the doubt now.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Two simple follow up questions any reporter worth 2 shlts would've asked...

What teams were they?

Were investigations launched regarding those teams?

No one really cares. The only reason people are asking now is because of the dumb headline ESPN ran this week about not being able to boo the Astros. If anyone really cared, they'd ask how the Red Sox got off so light for 2018 after getting in trouble in 2017 as well as continuing to cheat after Manfred's letter, which was apparently the most egregious part to Manfred in relation to the Astros.

I think I'm going to be bitter about the way this was handled for a while. A WS win this year would be a nice salve.
First Page
Page 282 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.