No-Hitters and Near No Hitters

3,320 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The fun of last night's Astros game and the two morons who decided to try and "jinx the thread" had me thinking about times I've just missed seeing a no-no. Never a real one at the MLB level, but a couple of near misses.

In 1988, I was with my mom and my best friend when Mike Scott threw a 1-hitter vs. the Braves. Ken Oberkfell broke it up with 2 outs in the 9th on a seeing-eye single. My idiot best friend who had never been to a baseball game had proudly exclaimed in the 9th "Hey the Braves don't even have any hits!" and was destroyed by the guys sitting behind us.

In 1994, I saw the Astros play the Rockies with 3 buddies from A&M. Doug Drabek took a no-no to the top of the 8th before the very unlikely John Vander Wal hit a leadoff homer to break it up. Charlie Hayes later hit a single with 2 out in the ninth.

And the real doozy: In 1989, my brother had gone off to college at the University of Arizona. My mom and I went to visit him and went to see a Tucson Toros game one night. Darryl Kile was pitching for the Toros and threw a 9-inning no-hitter but the score was 0-0.
Bottom of the ninth, Toros load the bases with no outs, and Kile's spot comes up to bat. Figuring that all they needed to do was get a run across and the game would be over and the no-hitter cemented they pinch hit for Kile.
Greg Gross was down in Tucson for an injury rehab so they bring him up. He smashes one down the line that the third baseman of the Las Vegas Stars spears, steps on third, and whips a throw to second for a triple play to end the inning.
Toros lost 1-0 in 13.

expresswrittenconsent
Man, how dare those two guys on the texags MLB board trying to "jinx" the athletes hundreds of miles away who dont even know they exist.
Its sunday, be sure to pray to your imaginary sky being of choice today that this wont happen again.
Agnzona
I had tickets to Nolan's 1981 no hitter. But at the last minute decided not to make the drive from college station. I kept the unused tickets thinking that was kind of cool but lost them over the years. So I lost twice......
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
_lefraud_
AG
May 9th, 2014.

With two outs in the 7th inning, David Ortiz hits a fly ball to shallow right against Yu Darvish and it falls between the 2B and RF, it was a windy night, and the scorer ruled it an error (the ball should have been caught). With the no-no intact, Ortiz comes up again in the 9th, with two outs, and smacks a base hit into the outfield...
Harry Dunne
I was at the Mike Fiers no hitter. I believe he set them down in order from the fourth inning on and struck out five or six guys in a row at one point. It was an awesome atmosphereEspecially towards the end when his pitch count was getting up there and he was going just on adrenaline.

I have taken some heat from the many resident "baseball PhDs" we have on the Astros thread because I say he has great stuff. He may be inconsistent but we had great seats that game down near home plate and the movement on those curveballs was unbelievable.
htxag09
AG
The jinx believers crack me up with modern technology. Anytime a pitcher (or team) goes 6 innings without giving up a hit millions of people (including myself) get instant alerts and inning by inning updates going forward. Guess we'll never have a no hitter again, oh wait....
chico
AG
I was at Darryl Kile's No hitter. It was a meaningless game towards the end of the season and the astrodome was fairly empty. The crowd was pretty quiet but around the eighth or ninth inning people started to take notice that it was a no-hitter It seems like the event got very little attention at the time
mwm
I remember that one. I was in my second year of school and did not have a television. So, watching the game was not something I could easily do. But, I had it on the radio while I was studying. It got to the 6th inning and the buzz about a no-hitter got louder.

I couldn't stand it. I closed the books, got in the car & went to the local HEB where, on one of the aisles, they sold TVs. Big, hulking TVs. So, I asked the manger if he would tune in to the game. He obliged.

Before long, guys would come by & ask me what was happening. I told them about Nolan's bid and they, too, began to watch all abandoning wives & children who continued to shop. At the end, there must have been 50 guys all watching the game with me.

When the game was complete & the no-hitter was in the books, there was a loud "whoop" in celebration of his feat. Everyone in the store knew the game was over.

By the way, the manager stood next to me for the entire time I was there.
safety guy
AG
Was at Astros game as a kid when Jerry Reuss threw a one hitter. Got broken up in the 9th. The next night, Larry Dierker also threw a one hitter. Did not see that one.

Had tickets for the game where Kenny Rogers threw his perfect game. Was driving back that day from my grandfather's out of town funeral and I could not convince anyone in my family to go to the game after a long drive. That evening, we got the kids to bed and turned on the game at the point rusty Greer made his great catch in center field in the 9th. I was kinda bummed missing a perfect game but I have unused tickets to a perfect game. However after after all these years, the ink has worn off the ticket masters tickets.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Was at Yu's almost perfect game against the Stros in 2013. A friend had invited my (then) girlfriend and I to sit in his company box. I was the only Ranger fan there and got some unpleasant remarks.
Bones08
AG
I woke up one morning in 1994 and my parents asked my brother and I if we wanted to go to the Rangers game or to Six Flags. We went to quite a few baseball games a year so my brother and I thought of Six Flags as more of a treat. So we chose Six Flags.

Went to Six Flags, had a great day. Even remember riding the Texas Giant and looking over and seeing into the ballpark and the ongoing game.

Leave Six Flags. Get in the car and the very first words we hear from the radio which is playing the Rangers broadcast is the play-by-lay call of Rusty Greer's catch in the 9th inning to preserve Kenny Rogers perfect game.

Dang. Hurts to miss that one.
mazag08
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Was at Yu's almost perfect game against the Stros in 2013. A friend had invited my (then) girlfriend and I to sit in his company box. I was the only Ranger fan there and got some unpleasant remarks.
Marwin Gonzalez will forever haunt your dreams.
Coog97
Had the pleasure of being at the six-pitcher no-no in Yankee Stadium in 2003!

8T2
Someone gave me free tickets to see Mike Scott pitch in 1986. Turned out to be the no-hitter that clinched the division. In 1991, I got a free pass to the Rangers game from Kroger. Saw Nolan Ryan pitch his last no-hitter from those crappy but special outfield seats in the old Arlington Stadium.

Not bad for a couple of no-hitters.
94chem
Coog97 said:

Had the pleasure of being at the six-pitcher no-no in Yankee Stadium in 2003!

What do all the wrecking crew gang signs mean?

I was at MMP in about 2013 when Darvish took a perfect game into the 8th. Eventually walked a guy, gave up a hit, and Nathan closed out the game.
07ag
AG
Never been at one, only one i've watched on tv is an aggie one from the other year. was offered free suite tickets to last saturday's astros no-no, that i chose to turn down to celebrate with my parents on their 40th anniversary. didn't even watch it. i've watched probably 90+ games this year on tv, and that's the one i miss
https://ts.la/eric59704
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
When I used to cover HS sports, I saw a kid pitch a 7-inning perfect game and strike out 20 of the 21 batters he faced.

One year covered a high-school softball playoff doubleheader on a Saturday in which Cat Ostermann threw 2 no-hitters, striking out 16 in one game and 19 in the next.
Pahdz
Beckett?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not really something I saw but I remember when dick Bosman was the pitching coach for (I think) the orioles.

My dad took me and my brother to the rangers game and we were at the visitors bullpen watching the pitches warm up. My dad saw dick Bosman and told me and my brother just what to do. Since I was younger my brother got to actually do it.

He shouts, "hey Bosman!" "Did you used to pitch for the Indians?"

Bosman nods coolly.

"Did you throw a no-hitter in '74?"

Bosman nods coolly again.

My brother points casually at my dad and says, "I'm too young by my dad was there."

Bosman nods coolly once more.

After the pitcher finishes warming up, Bosman turns to us, smiles, and tosses us the ball.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Pahdz said:

Beckett?
Nope, a kid from Katy Taylor that played for Arizona and might have had a cup of coffee with the Dodgers.

The one time I saw Beckett play was in a tournament and he had pitched the day before. In the game I covered, he hit 2 solo homers and threw a guy out from the track trying to score on a deep fly ball.

Would put him on an even playing field with Jamaal Charles, Vince Young and a world-class high jumper as the best amateur athlete I ever saw play in person.
CoppellAg93
AG
I was at Ken Forsch's no-hitter at the Astrodome on April 7, 1979 - unfortunately I don't really remember any of the game. My dad always says he was telling me at the game how great it was to see some baseball history.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Now we understand that walks are the same as singles only perfect games should be counted
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.