Prayers for the Skaggs Family

14,367 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
will be interesting to see if the investigation can determine where the drugs came from.

the Angels played a home game vs. the A's on Sunday afternoon June 30th. Then flew to Texas.

he was found dead in his room on Monday July 1st before the scheduled game.

so either someone carried the drugs on the plane or someone knew how to get the stuff a few hours after landing.

the Angels had played a series in Arlington in April. So connections may have already existed

aftershock
W said:

will be interesting to see if the investigation can determine where the drugs came from.

the Angels played a home game vs. the A's on Sunday afternoon June 30th. Then flew to Texas.

so either someone carried the drugs on the plane or someone knew how to get the stuff a few hours after landing.

the Angels had played a series in Arlington in April. So connections may have already existed

How much actual checking of possessions goes on on a privately chartered plane for a professional sports team? I figure security is involved, but certainly less than most of us experience while flying...
bthotugigem05
AG
Poses some interesting questions about where a player can find that amount of stuff, surely.
powerbelly
AG
Aftershock_88 said:

W said:

How much actual checking of possessions goes on on a privately chartered plane for a professional sports team? I figure security is involved, but certainly less than most of us experience while flying...
I think it is more similar to flying private. Show up and get on the plane.
TXAggie2011
AG
It's like flying privately; and it's not hard to get alcohol and opioids.

Doesn't take a lot of fentanyl to put you in your grave. Pretty nasty if misused.
Bregxit
AG
Captain Pablo said:

dlance said:

IBombedTheMoon said:

Captain Pablo said:

27 y.o.a, hotel, no foul play

Usually a suicide or OD

Could be natural I guess

Tragedy regardless

I'd be shocked if it was natural. It's absolutely possible, but 26yo professional athletes don't randomly drop dead from natural causes, or I see it as the least likely scenario. It's tragic, regardless.

Darryl Kile at 33.
Conrad McRae at 29.
Jason Collier at 28.
Reggie Lewis at 27.
Hank Gathers at 23.
Zeke Upshaw at 26.
Fab Melo at 26.

All natural causes.

Well

Not this one

No doubt
strohag
AG
Wonder if he got some counterfeit pills he didn't know were fentanyl. I doubt a team doctor had anything to do with prescribing fentanyl. Of course if he had a series opioid addiction he may have been playing with the really hard stuff.
DannyDuberstein
AG
No one wants to admit their kid was a junkie, but Tyler Skaggs is dead because of one person and his name is Tyler Skaggs.
Captain Pablo
AG
strohag said:

Wonder if he got some counterfeit pills he didn't know were fentanyl. I doubt a team doctor had anything to do with prescribing fentanyl. Of course if he had a series opioid addiction he may have been playing with the really hard stuff.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be counterfeit. Serious junkies know that heroin can be spiked with fentanyl. And a lot of them want that and seek it because it is more effective. Then, of course, it ends up killing them at some point
wbt5845
AG
It's pretty easy for professional athletes to get hooked up in Southlake. Very easy, actually.
Proposition Joe
Yeah I think people underestimate the # of phone calls it actually takes to find a source. Know the local weed dealer? He probably can get you in touch with a guy who deals in the harder stuff.

Just like in any other industry, the guys who like to do this run together so I'm guessing there's a well known hookup in every big league town.
wbt5845
AG
Young, athletic, insanely rich guys with a lot of spare time on their hands? What could possibly go wrong?
Captain Pablo
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Yeah I think people underestimate the # of phone calls it actually takes to find a source. Know the local weed dealer? He probably can get you in touch with a guy who deals in the harder stuff.

Just like in any other industry, the guys who like to do this run together so I'm guessing there's a well known hookup in every big league town.

You mean overestimate?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
wbt5845 said:

It's pretty easy for professional athletes to get hooked up in Southlake. Very easy, actually.

Tell us how things are around here since you're apparently such a local and in the know.
Panama Red
AG
Follow up

Kay told investigators he illegally obtained six oxycodone pills and gave three to Skaggs a day or two before the team left California for the road trip to Texas, according to the two sources. Kay told DEA agents he does not think the pills he obtained for Skaggs were the same ones the pitcher took the day he died because Skaggs typically would ingest the pills immediately after receiving them from Kay, the sources said. Skaggs also texted Kay the day the team left for Texas seeking more oxycodone, a request Kay told investigators he was unable to fulfill, the sources said.
W
AG
has this Kay person been granted immunity? He is really talking / cooperating
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The question is are they using the opioids for fun or a competitive advantage. As someone who has had a doctor force opioids on me, I won't jump on the his fault list yet

Here is how it went:

Me (19 at the time) - go in to primary care physician for a spider bite. He drains it, gives me antibiotics and says you need something for the pain, so here is a prescription for oxy.

Me - No Thanks it does hurt.

Dr- no you really should take them. 500 MG every 4 hours

Me - no I'm fine

Dr. - I will send you with the script

I had had major abdominal surgery 6 months before so I knew how hard it was to kick the pain killers, and never took them when I didn't need them. The physical withdrawls were nuts
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

The question is are they using the opioids for fun or a competitive advantage. As someone who has had a doctor force opioids on me, I won't jump on the his fault list yet

According to Kay, he was getting them illegally, crushing the pills and snorting them. Hard to blame that on anyone other than Skaggs
birdman
There is zero security for their travel. Park car in lot on side of airport. Somebody carries your bags which never go through security.

I don't know who Kay is, but it's a good guess that he is a clubbie. They are always acting as liaisons. Player needs drugs or want to know the strip club that visiting players go to? Ask the clubbie.

It's s not all bad. Clubbie will be the guy to give them name of best Mexican restaurant or the hookup to play golf at nice country club.
Post removed:
by user
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah if you are snorting them that's not for pain relief or addiction that's for fun.

Very sad.
birdman
Clubbie works for team. It's the clubhouse manager. They have assistants as well. Angels will have one that travels. Plus each home team will have a clubbie that serves the opponents.

I looked up Kay. He was in the communications department, not a clubbie. He was a fellow junkie.
Post removed:
by user
Mathguy64
AG
If the Director of Comms was the supplier there are going to be more than Skaggs within the organization who were using.
Post removed:
by user
wbt5845
AG
I knew Joe Macko for years. Doubt you could get visiting clubhouse hands to do something illegal for you. They'll do whatever you want UP TO that.
Panama Red
AG
Update:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29615788/former-angels-staffer-charged-pitcher-tyler-skaggs-death

Quote:

Eric Kay, a former director of communications for the Los Angeles Angels, has been charged by the Drug Enforcement Agency with illegally supplying drugs to pitcher Tyler Skaggs, who died in a hotel room in Texas last year.
Pay day coming:

Quote:

Rusty Hardin, the Texas attorney representing Skaggs' family, issued a statement after Kay's arrest and court appearance.
"The family is deeply heartbroken to learn that Tyler would be alive today were it not for a pill containing fentanyl that was provided by the Director of Communications of the Angels," Hardin said. "We note that the Angels say they commissioned an independent investigation that concluded no one in management was aware that a team employee was supplying illegal drugs to Tyler. We encourage the Angels to make that report public.
"We are relieved that no one else who was supplied drugs by this Angels executive met the same fate as Tyler. While nothing will replace the loss of Tyler, we are very grateful to federal prosecutors for their diligent and ongoing work."
The seven-page autopsy showed 38 nanograms per milliliter of oxycodone, an opioid medication prescribed to treat severe pain, and 3.8 nanograms per milliliter of fentanyl, a highly concentrated painkiller that is significantly stronger than oxycodone. It also showed a blood alcohol level of 0.122%; 0.08% is considered legally impaired.

Bregxit
AG
Pay day from whom?
W
AG
whoa, didn't know that illegal drug distribution was in the job description of an MLB "director of communications"
DannyDuberstein
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

No one wants to admit their kid was a junkie, but Tyler Skaggs is dead because of one person and his name is Tyler Skaggs.

1 year and additional facts later, and my opinion on this remains unchanged
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

"The family is deeply heartbroken to learn that Tyler would be alive today were it not for a pill containing fentanyl that was provided by the Director of Communications of the Angels," Hardin said. "We note that the Angels say they commissioned an independent investigation that concluded no one in management was aware that a team employee was supplying illegal drugs to Tyler. We encourage the Angels to make that report public.

I understand Rusty Hardin is a lawyer, but that is some world class bullcrap. Unless Kay held a gun to Skaggs' head and shoved the pill down his throat, he's no more responsible for his death than the guy at the gun shop who sells a pistol to the person who puts in their mouth and commits suicide.

I've been a 12-stepper of my own vice for more than 10 years, and the one inescapable truth of addictions is that if you're an addict, you're going to get your fix, no matter what it costs you in risks, money, time, health, or relationships. Once you're in your cycle, unless you use every tool that rehab teaches you on how to stop yourself, you're going to get it that fix, no matter the cost. Tyler Skaggs might still be alive today if he hadn't that pill, but it was only going to be a matter of time until he OD'ed some place else.

BMX Bandit
Kay criminal trial ongoing in Fort Worth

Quote:

Matt Harvey, 32, who rose to prominence as a member of the New York Mets, pitched just that 2019 season in Anaheim but was subpoenaed by the government and granted immunity. He testified that he came to the Angels as a "partier," according to ESPN, using cocaine with the Mets and Angels. Harvey testified that he'd asked Skaggs about oxycodone during 2019 spring training and the line between using non-prescribed painkillers as a means of injury mitigation or for recreational purposes.

Harvey acknowledged that he and Skaggs provided each other with drugs Harvey fulfilling Skaggs' wishes for Percocet, which also contains acetaminophen and Skaggs sharing oxycodone purchased through Kay with Harvey, who said he did not enjoy taking the drug.

Harvey testified of a pill-popping culture in which he'd ingest drugs in the Angels dugout and Skaggs, he said, told him he'd chop up oxycodone and snort it off a toilet-paper dispenser in a clubhouse bathroom stall.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6799015001
wbt5845
AG
It is kinda funny seeing MLB talking about how they had a clubhouse guy who scored coke for them. MLB players using coke - who knew?

Drug use is pretty rampant on most teams. These guys play through so many injuries and pain and get hooked so easy. All the more reason grass should be allowed since it's relatively benign.

Kay gone take the fall and the Skaggs family is gonna sue the **** outta the Angels for their employee selling drugs.
Panama Red
AG
Bregxit said:

Pay day from whom?

Angels Baseball LP and/or Moreno Baseball LP
. . .

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.