Chris Sale has struck out the first six Rockies

2,297 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by W
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is for the baseball junkies like me. On MLB channel right now. 6 up 6 down all strikeouts.

I post this because I watched the documentary of Kerry Woods 20 strikeout game just the other day, which I watched in my duplex in Bryan.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
KT 90
AG
Now it's 8 out of 9 through three innings

agsalaska
AG
Yep. Last complete game was in 2017.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Mathguy64
AG
Jim Deshaies once got the first 8 Dodgers in a row. Then fat boy Fernando broke the streak.
agsalaska
AG
14 thru 6
Forum Troll
AG
17 through 7
agsalaska
AG
Forum Troll said:

17 through 7
And they pulled him.

I hate modern baseball.
agsalaska
AG
20 strikeouts in a game is harder than a perfect game.

Would they have pulled him if he was perfect thru 7?

Buck Compton
AG
Since he has already allowed several hits and 2 runs on 108 pitches, manager took him out. Great outing. You guys are acting like it's not a competitive game. One pitch can tie it.

Not sure we'll ever see anything as dominant as that Kerry Wood game. Back before strikeout numbers were what they are now, he dominated a very good team with multiple HOF batters. 20 Ks, 1 hit, 0 runs.
agsalaska
AG
Buck Compton said:

Since he has already allowed several hits and 2 runs on 108 pitches, manager took him out. Great outing. You guys are acting like it's not a competitive game. One pitch can tie it.

Not sure we'll ever see anything as dominant as that Kerry Wood game. Back before strikeout numbers were what they are now, he dominated a very good team with multiple HOF batters. 20 Ks, 1 hit, 0 runs.
He had a chance to match if not beat the toughest pitching milestone in baseball. And they pulled him.

Total nonsense.
Forum Troll
agsalaska
AG
Go Rockies!! I hope they beat the **** out of them.
W
AG
we'll see how he does vs. the Astros on Sunday
cablinaggie
AG
COL strikes out 24 times and wins. First time in MLB history.

Sorry Bahston
BCSWguru
Taking Sale out after 100 pitches last night is bush league. Dude was absolutely killing it. Saw something similar in the Pirates game last night. Musgrove was pulled after giving up one hit through 7 innings. His pitch count....75. Great way to get more fan support.
redline248
AG
agsalaska said:

This is for the baseball junkies like me. On MLB channel right now. 6 up 6 down all strikeouts.

I post this because I watched the documentary of Kerry Woods 20 strikeout game just the other day, which I watched in my duplex in Bryan.
Where is the documentary available?
Buck Compton
AG
LSCSN said:

Taking Sale out after 100 pitches last night is bush league. Dude was absolutely killing it. Saw something similar in the Pirates game last night. Musgrove was pulled after giving up one hit through 7 innings. His pitch count....75. Great way to get more fan support.
It's really not, though. This is a long season, and Sale really struggled early on. The Red Sox have to continue to re-build his confidence and don't want to wear him down so early.

Also, he was at 108 pitches. He had already given up 2 runs on an Arenado HR and was coming back around to the top of the lineup soon. Maybe you go out there for 8, but you never know what kind of discussions he had with his manager. His max this year has been 111 pitches. They just picked the wrong bullpen guy to bring in.

Can't comment on the Musgrove game, but winning is the way to get fan support, not random milestones that only baseball people care about (people that are already fans)... You always do the thing that is most likely to give you a win.
agsalaska
AG
I watched it on Youtube.
TXAggie2011
AG
It sucks he didn't get to keep going and try to hit that milestone.

But yeah, he was at 108 pitches and had got popped for a single and a home run to start the 7th inning.

And the home run pitch was right down the middle and Arenado hit it a mile high and over the Green Giant. It wasn't the longest smash we've seen, but it was a pretty terrible pitch.

I get it, and as someone said, that's modern baseball. But we also love the strategy and modern complexities of building a pitching staff, yeah?

BCSWguru
I agree. Winning matters. The bullpen guys are terrible.
Buck Compton
AG
LSCSN said:

I agree. Winning matters. The bullpen guys are terrible.
I the would have come out and gotten tagged for a homer in the 8th (just like he did in the 7th) after 108 pitches, you would have been on here complaining about how the win is more important than stretching a starter for some (potential) milestone...

You need a full team to win and their bullpen needed to step up. Chris did his job, but a fresh bullpen arm was likely still a better bet than a tired Chris Sale - Cora sure thought so. If you'll notice, the bullpen still struck a ton of guys out.
94chem
Y'all do know that Roger Clemens was the first to strike out 20, right?

I was at a game where Nolan got pulled with 14 after 6, but he was losing... And he was about 43. 17 after 7, and only 108 pitches? That's awful.
Buck Compton
AG
94chem said:

Y'all do know that Roger Clemens was the first to strike out 20, right?

I was at a game where Nolan got pulled with 14 after 6, but he was losing... And he was about 43. 17 after 7, and only 108 pitches? That's awful.
Yes, we all know that sip was first (and second). But neither of his games was as dominant as Kerry Wood''s game was They were all-time good outings, but Kerry Wood was on a complete other level. Even better that he did it as a rookie.

• Clemens ('86) - 3 H, 1 HR, 1 R, 0 BB, 138 pitches - against a Mariner team that went 67-95 and finished last in the AL West (exactly league average in runs, struck out the 2nd most in MLB by 6 strikeouts)

• Clemens ('96) - 5 H, 0 HR, 0 R, 0 BB, 151 pitches - against a Tiger team that went 53 - 109 and finished last in the AL East (only slightly below average in runs, struck out the most in the MLB by a wide margin)

• Wood - 1 H, 0 HR, 0 R, 0 BB, 122 pitches - against an Astros team that finished 102-60 and won the NL Central (4th best offense, highest OBP in NL, but did strikeout tied for fifth most). Not to mention that one hit actually hit his SS's glove and was a borderline error

• Johnson - 3H, 0 HR, 1 R, 0 BB, 124 pitches - against a Reds team that went 66-96 and finished last in the NL Central (bottom third offense, stuck out 3rd most in all MLB) - funny thing was here was a no-decision because it was tied 1-1 at the end of 9

• Scherzer - 6 H, 2 HR, 2 R, 0 BB, 119 pitches - against a Tigers team that went 86-75, but was an above average offense that was about league average in strikeouts (albeit in an environment where strikeout numbers are much, much higher (this team struck out more in aggregate than any of those other teams)

See the common denominator for all the other games? multiple hits, most allowed runs, and against bottom feeders. What I did find funny is almost all of these were in May and only the Clemens game in '96 was on the road. All great performances, but Kerry Wood's game was the most dominant game that has ever been pitched. That's why people talk about it like they do.
W
AG
checking in with Sale on June 1st...

he had his big start vs. the Yankees last night. Struck out 10. But still allowed 4 runs in 6 innings and took the loss.

for season...he's 1-7 with a 4.35 ERA in 68 innings. Despite having a 1.08 WHIP and 98 K's
W
AG
and a sign of how the game has changed...

in the old days if a pitcher had a great stretch of games...you wouldn't pay that much attention to the list of opponents, because the talent levels were more balanced across the league.

but in 2019 the opponents / strength of schedule is a much bigger factor.

Sale had his "I'm back" stretch vs. the Orioles, White Sox, and Rockies. Looked awesome vs. those 3 teams.

But now in his last 3 starts he's drawn the Astros twice and the Yankees. Has not looked so awesome
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.