Watching Astros

7,316 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by expresswrittenconsent
BB675
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What all options are there to watch the Astros without Direct TV?
JABQ04
AG
Comcast?
96ags
AG
Hopefully this year is different, but in the past I have found very few options outside of having one of the providers that carries Roots SW.

It is very frustrating.
Juan Solo
AG
r/MLBStreams
Marvin
AG
I'm not a computer whiz, but someone mentioned streaming games through an MLB subscription and using a program to change your location.

The absolute only reason I'm still using cable is to watch the Astros.
agproducer
AG
I've done this the last two seasons, and you can do the same, but for this to work -- you need a Roku device to stream on your TV. It will not work with Amazon Fire Stick or Chromecast. I think it works with Apple TV.

First, you need an MLB.tv subscription. For the single team, it's $90 for the entire season. You can rewind games, jump to specific innings and 90 minutes after the game, there are usually shortened recaps of the game.

Second, you need to subscribe to a SmartDNS service. I use overplay.net. The subscription is about $5/month. The service allows you to set you home computer network region to another area to avoid the blackout. Overplay gives a great steps on how to set it up at your home. A buddy of mine used their support team to help him setup when he had troubles.

That should be all you need. It breaks down to about $20/month for the season to watch the Astros.

If you are leery of it, you can subscribe to MLB.tv month-to-month, but it will cost about $25/month. I did that the first year and MLB did a flash sale mid season to get the rest of the season for $10. It turned out to be a wash.

SmartDNS does not work properly with Fire Stick or Chromecast because those devices have a way to verify your actual location. you could also use a VPN service for your network, but I noticed on mine it slowed down the stream and it was more expensive.

Of course, you can always go with the reddit streams for free, but I've never liked the setup on my home tv with the streams.

BB675
AG
I will likely try this out. Is it legal?
titanmaster_race
One of the benefits of living out of state is getting to watch every Astros game via MLBTV
agproducer
AG
BB675 said:

I will likely try this out. Is it legal?

It's legal like a VPN as far as I know.
Beau Bevers
AG
fuboTV will start carrying AT&T SportsNet Southwest starting February 11th.

No need for DNS masks and MLB AT-Bat subs for this.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-sportsnet-southwest-is-coming-to-fubotv/
Marvin
AG
Beau Bevers said:

fuboTV will start carrying AT&T SportsNet Southwest starting February 11th.

No need for DNS masks and MLB AT-Bat subs for this.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-sportsnet-southwest-is-coming-to-fubotv/

That's great, with more to follow hopefully. In the meantime, that only seems economical if you use their entire service. If just for the Astros, it seems that agproducer's way is cheaper.
agsalaska
AG
Yea $45 a month and yo uneed a Roku thingy. Does the Roku thingy have a monthly fee?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agproducer
AG
agsalaska said:

Yea $45 a month and yo uneed a Roku thingy. Does the Roku thingy have a monthly fee?
No monthly fee for Roku. Buy the device and it is yours.
agsalaska
AG
Cool.

Does the espn app on Roku stream all of the SEC baseball games?

I have never really considered cutting the chord mainly because we dont get real fast internet out here and streaming live games is tough. But our internet company, who is also our cable company, just told us we can now get a little bit faster internet. But they dont have AT&T Sportsnet, so I am stuck with just the Rangers.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agproducer
AG
I think you can try out MLB.tv for free during spring training.

As far as the ESPN app goes, I think you need a subscription to use it. I don't have an answer for the SEC network question. I get it through PlayStation Vue.
blinnboy83
I use Overplay too. I like it vs other location switchers bc you can leave it off for Netflix, which won't work with any kind of VPN...

T-Mobile has been offering free full season MLB.TV subscriptions every year at the beginning of the season if that's something you're interested in.
The Lost
on a postive note, mlb is trying to get in market streaming without needing a cable subscription. Might still be a year or two off, but i think it'll eventually happen.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/mlb-wants-to-offer-local-in-market-streaming/
mazag08
AG
Remember, even if you don't subscribe to MLBTV, you can go their main page, click on subscribers, and watch recaps of every meaningful play from each inning (every 3rd out, double play, hit, walk, etc) hours after the game ends. These same recaps are also posted to YouTube usually.
Bobcat-Ag
T Mobile is running a promotion for a free MLB.tv subscription if you switch between March 26 and April 1. If you are thinking of switching, then this would be a pretty good deal.
agsalaska
AG
Good deal but be careful about blackouts in central Texas. Austin Waco area blacks out.
TXAGcommenter
AG
Is DFW in the blackout area for Astros games using the MLB At Bat subscription?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
GarrettL_15 said:

If you go to mlb.tv you should be able to enter your zip and it will let you know what is unavailable.
MaroonAG
Thank you for the FuboTV recommendation. I have been trying to find a solution for 2 years here in BCS and it seems to work. Using a Roku & subscribed to FobuTV. Watched the Astros opening game today. To be honest I do not mind paying the 44.95 a month for FobuTV as it cost lots more to go down to a game live.

AustinAg2K
GarrettL_15 said:

The entire state of Texas is considered the home market for the Astros and is this blacked out. I don't understand MLB blackout rules. It seems like they are losing millions by not letting their fans watch home games.
Beau Bevers
AG
AustinAg2K said:

GarrettL_15 said:

The entire state of Texas is considered the home market for the Astros and is this blacked out. I don't understand MLB blackout rules. It seems like they are losing millions by not letting their fans watch home games.

It has to do with how clubs and regional sports networks (RSNs) value TV contracts. As long as the clubs are making their money on those contracts, it's going to stay on place. My hope is that fans viewing habits continue to change, forcing those RSN contracts to lose enough value that MLB will repeal this archaic blackout garbage.
SquareOne07
AG
MaroonAG said:

Thank you for the FuboTV recommendation. I have been trying to find a solution for 2 years here in BCS and it seems to work. Using a Roku & subscribed to FobuTV. Watched the Astros opening game today. To be honest I do not mind paying the 44.95 a month for FobuTV as it cost lots more to go down to a game live.

Do you use Fobu for anything but the Astros? Will you keep it after the season at that price tag?

I'm considering dumping Sling for it...
Beau Bevers
AG
I have Fubo and have really enjoyed it so far. The only problem will be the occasional conflict with the Rockets. Fubo doesn't have an ATTSSW alternate, so I have to just listen on the internet. But that is only a couple times in the spring until the NBA regular season is over. Otherwise, it's worth the 7-8 month investment.
rosco511
AG
I used Overplay DNS last year but had problems this year but just found that Unlocator smart DNS works.
96ags
AG
Would you mind explaining the "how" for me?

I have a. an Apple TV and an MLB tv subscription. I apologize for my ignorance in advance.
irish pete ag06
AG
rosco511 said:

I used Overplay DNS last year but had problems this year but just found that Unlocator smart DNS works.

The issue I'm running into is that we use Hulu for our regular tv watching. So running a smartDNS, Hulu won't load. I can't switch all the way over to Fubo because other people in the house have some channels they want to keep.

I'm gonna split fubo with my dad. It'll run on 2 screens so we are going to do that for a while.

I have no idea how att hasn't gotten this more distributed ro streamers. It's not even on directvnow which is the same damn company.
rosco511
AG
This will explain how to set up the Smart DNS on Apple TV. Once this is set up, you should be able to watch MLB on your Apple TV.

https://support.unlocator.com/article/56-how-to-setup-apple-tv?_ga=2.90816410.1457652437.1553983036-1800978602.1522710053
rosco511
AG
I have not looked into it but am shocked you have this issue because the advantage of Smart DNS is that it is only turned on for certain channels/apps so should not apply or interfere with your Hulu.
irish pete ag06
AG
rosco511 said:

I have not looked into it but am shocked you have this issue because the advantage of Smart DNS is that it is only turned on for certain channels/apps so should not apply or interfere with your Hulu.

It did. Sadly it also makes WatchESPN unusable. Have to turn it off to watch Aggie baseball.
Beau Bevers
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

rosco511 said:

It did. Sadly it also makes WatchESPN unusable. Have to turn it off to watch Aggie baseball.
Did it to me, too. Had to switch to Fubo. Had to use my laptop to watch today, but I have really like the content, otherwise.
96ags
AG
Man, I feel like such a moron.

I have followed all of the instructions on the OverPlay sight, and I still get the dreaded "blackout" message.

I'm at such a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.