Politics in Baseball

2,630 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PacifistAg
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boston brings back most of the pitchers from the 2004 season for the pre-game first pitch ceremony.

One exception... where was Curt Schilling?

Schilling is a 6x All-Star and a 3x World Series Champion (2 of those times he was with the Red Sox). He's a member of the Red Sox Hall of Fame.

The Red Sox didn't even give him a call.
astros4545
AG
**** da Red Sox
Ag_07
AG
Funny that a guy complaining about politics in baseball makes a post about politics on the baseball board.

But really it's pretty simple. Schilling exercised his right to free speech and the Red Sox have exercised their right to disagree and not associate with him.
Harry Dunne
Moronic though they may be, it's crazy to me that Schilling's opinions are keeping him out of the HOF just as much as PEDs are for other guys.

BTW congratulations, you just started a thread about politics in baseball.
astros4545
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Moronic though they may be, it's crazy to me that Schilling's opinions are keeping him out of the HOF just as much as PEDs are for other guys.

Schilling was a very borderline hall of famer
W
AG
politics was coming to baseball one way or the other...once the WS was a matchup of teams from super-liberal anti-Trump states.

get ready for hoopla over who is or isn't going to visit the White House
diehard03
Quote:

get ready for hoopla over who is or isn't going to visit the White House

I don't think so. There's nothing new with a team refusing to go or having people sit out now. It's all been done before, and it's not like baseball is trump's love affair.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Schilling was a very borderline hall of famer
He was, but the way we judge pitchers is changing. If we keep the old "entrance requirements" then we won't see another pitcher in for a long long time. He didn't get a bunch of run support so he doesn't have a bunch of 20 game seasons. Add in his postseason performances and he should be close, but clearly in IMO.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
It could also be an issue with his failed Video Game Company 38 Studios (for the snub on the first pitch). That whole deal rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I want to say there was an SEC investigation and it is still lingering on.
zephyr88
AG
Harry Dunne said:

You think the average guy banging his head on the politics board give two cents about baseball? Schilling was a wizard... Red Sox are a-holes for the snub.
zephyr88
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Actually, I started a thread entitled politics in baseball about politics in baseball in baseball.
Harry Dunne
zephyr88 said:

Harry Dunne said:

You think the average guy banging his head on the politics board give two cents about baseball? Schilling was a wizard... Red Sox are a-holes for the snub.
I agree with this. I also think Schilling is a worthy HOFer (if voters care at all about postseason performance, which they should) and is being kept out because he's a vocal a-hole. Schilling AND the Red Sox being asses aren't mutually exclusive things.

I think Joe Politics only comes over here when the Astros are in the playoffs and the quality of the thread suffers by a predictable margin.

PacifistAg
AG
I wouldn't have voted him in regardless. I think he's borderline, but that's just me.

Schilling only has himself to blame though. When you publicly state that a t-shirt making a joke about lynching journalists is "awesome", then you can't be surprised when the very same journalists refuse to vote for you for a major honor.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.