MLB in London

1,554 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gambochaman
ClassOf17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Personally, I think it's not a very smart idea and will fail to gain attraction overseas much like the NFL has done.

However, it IS the biggest names in baseball and arguably the best rivalry in all of sports.

What do you think? Good idea or bad?

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180508&content_id=275777726&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos
BTKAG97
AG
DVC2010
AG
The worst part of visiting London last year was telling people I was a baseball fan. Every last one of them replied, "oh, like the Yankees?"
Al Bula
AG
American sport. Not a limey sport.

This is like cricket or rugby in America: I don't give AF.
BMX Bandit
ClassOf17 said:

Personally, I think it's not a very smart idea and will fail to gain attraction overseas much like the NFL has done.

However, it IS the biggest names in baseball and arguably the best rivalry in all of sports.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180508&content_id=275777726&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos

The NFL has been a success in the UK.

Nothing wrong with MLB trying to expand its fanbase
titanmaster_race
Realistically, the number of regular season games that has to be crammed into the end of March through September is going to hamstring the possibility of playing games in the UK. The players association has already been pushing back on the amount of travel required during the regular season. That issue is magnified here.
03_Aggie
BMX Bandit said:

ClassOf17 said:

The NFL has been a success in the UK.

Nothing wrong with MLB trying to expand its fanbase

Yeah?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell thanked the fans for their support but said it was time to develop a new international strategy, terming the move to fold NFL Europa the "best business decision".[34] The league reportedly was losing about $30 million a season.[34]
mhayden
The American NFL has been a success in the UK.

NFL Europe was not a success.

An exaggerated comparison would be saying MLS soccer is not that successful in the US, so a few World Cup matches wouldn't be a success in the US.

People are interested in seeing the best play the sport, not just the sport being played.
The Lost
I think the timing is dumb for the players. I don't mind the starting the season with a Japan series or something like this, but in the middle of the season it just seems dumb.
TXAggie2011
AG
Getting to London from New York and Boston isn't all that terrible.

But yeah, it's going to be a weird thing for the middle of the season.

I wonder if they wanted to play outside of soccer season?
Raggie21
I think it's stupid that the some of the best regular season games are getting played over there. The premier league is not doing the same for the US. We get preseason friendlies and that's it, not real games.
bigjag19
AG
Quick name the last time an NFL game in England was between 2 winning record teams...
PatAg
AG
free_mhayden said:

The American NFL has been a success in the UK.

NFL Europe was not a success.

An exaggerated comparison would be saying MLS soccer is not that successful in the US, so a few World Cup matches wouldn't be a success in the US.

People are interested in seeing the best play the sport, not just the sport being played.
I agree with the last sentence, but just for clarity, the MLS actually performs very well.
gougler08
AG
bigjag19 said:

Quick name the last time an NFL game in England was between 2 winning record teams...

The Ravens and Jags played last year...both were good teams last year
bigjag19
AG
gougler08 said:

bigjag19 said:

The Ravens and Jags played last year...both were good teams last year

True. But at game time they didn't both have winning records. And the Jags were a shock, as this is the team that couldn't sell out to save their life so they took a London deal.
BMX Bandit
if the topic were "should MLB start a league that plays in multiple european countries," then your quote might be relevant.

but since its not, you will need to find a new wiki page
03_Aggie
BMX Bandit said:

if the topic were "should MLB start a league that plays in multiple european countries," then your quote might be relevant.

but since its not, you will need to find a new wiki page

It was in direct response to you saying the NFL has been successful In the UK. It was also tongue in cheek so no need to get your panties all ruffled.

gambochaman
AG
I think its a cool idea...I'm all for expanding the game...and with 162 games per team per year, surely we can spare a few to play in faraway places...the players will recover just fine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.