***** Official Houston Astros 2018 Season Thread *****

3,176,815 Views | 44067 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dshedd41
Hubert J. Farnsworth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agsquirrel97
AG
Great sports night!
CFTXAG10
AG
There is just something about Game 5's in Houston
Johnsy3
AG
PJ Tucker +14
James Harden +8
Chris Paul -13

KD +2
Curry/Klay/Draymond -9 each

edit: OOPS wrong thread. Good to see Jake from Rake Farm is back
astros4545
AG
Johnsy3 said:

PJ Tucker +14
James Harden +8
Chris Paul -13

KD +2
Curry/Klay/Draymond -9 each

Definitely wouldn't expect those numbers
jr15aggie
AG
At this point, even Seattle has to be like, "how in the hell are we only 3 games back?!"
shano0603
AG
jr15aggie said:

At this point, even Seattle has to be like, "how in the hell are we only 3 games back?!"

We are only 3 games ahead of the Mariners..... our run differential is +116....... Theirs is +8.

.......,damn sequencing
irish pete ag06
AG
shano0603 said:

jr15aggie said:

We are only 3 games ahead of the Mariners..... our run differential is +116....... Theirs is +8.

.......,damn sequencing

Yep. Mariners are +4 according to Pythagorean and +3 according to Baseruns.

Astros are -3 on Baseruns and a whopping -6 on Pythagorean.
Ag_07
AG
The Mariners won't hang around much longer. Without Cano and now Dee Gordon they're gonna start their annual summer fade into oblivion.

Good to see the offense continue. Man that's got to feel so good for Jake. Hoping he keeps it up enough to get Fisher sent to Fresno when he's off the DL.
Frok
AG
The offense is coming around.
3B Paul 97
AG
I like Kemp in the 9 hole. More RBI chances for Springer. Nice to win games without having to lean on Altuve and Correa.
mazag08
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Semi-interesting bit about 'Stros at the end of this article

Quote:

Consider this measure: Based on each team's opponents to date and where the games have been played, New York has scored 33.7 runs above expectation, which is tops in the majors. The Astros, on the other hand, have prevented a whopping 47 runs above expectation. The Red Sox are second in that measure -- at 19.3.
CSWendt
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

I like Kemp in the 9 hole. More RBI chances for Springer. Nice to win games without having to lean on Altuve and Correa.
Just imagine this offense once Correa and Altuve start hitting like we know they will. It's clear now that when this offense is elite its more because of the bottom half of the lineup turning over.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

It's clear now that when this offense is elite its more because of the bottom half of the lineup turning over.

I was just thinking this the other day.

We know what we're gonna get out of the guys like Springer, Bregman, Altuve, and Correa. They have a consistent track record and their talent floor is pretty damn high. They're gonna get theirs.

How many lineups have you ever seen that have the talent and consistency to say that the success depends on how well the bottom half perform? The answer is not many

Additionally and along the same lines...If Kemp continues to produce that does wonders for Springer and his RBI production. He is essentially now a 2 hole hitter in the leadoff spot.
ClickClack
AG
Agree that the key is the bottom half. We're 9-1 (or 8-2?) over last 10 because Gattis finally got going and kemp has produced / been a spark. And then Marisnick yesterday.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
And Marwin is the tie that connects the top and bottom. Get him going and look out. 2017 truly was a special year - each of the things we're talking about happened all at once.
E
AG
Hanley Ramirez DFA'd

Would we entertain trading for him as a DH? Gattis for Hanley? I could see playing for a latin heavy Astros team would be helpful.
Buck Compton
AG
E said:

Hanley Ramirez DFA'd

Would we entertain trading for him as a DH? Gattis for Hanley? I could see playing for a latin heavy Astros team would be helpful.

CSWendt
AG
E said:

Hanley Ramirez DFA'd

He has a vesting option for 22M in 2019 if he reaches 497 PA in 2018. I don't think any team wants to touch that contract.

The vesting option is void if he is released and signed afterwards, obviously.
E
AG
My bad
Buck Compton
AG
E said:

My bad
No worries. It wasn't necessarily just the Ramirez vs. Gattis from a pure production perspective... It was the contract (already mentioned) and the fact that the Red Sox have no leverage at all, so why would we give up a piece from our big league team (and why would they want him if they DFA'd Ramirez?)...

Plus the whole latin-heavy thing should never even be a consideration.
Harry Dunne
MelvinUdall
Harry Dunne said:

That is funny.
Ag_07
AG
I'd give Hanley some thought if Gattis was still hitting below the Mendoza line.

With him getting right lately I say 'No thanks'.
MelvinUdall
Ag_07 said:

I'd give Hanley some thought if Gattis was still hitting below the Mendoza line.

With him getting right lately I say 'No thanks'.

Yeah, I am all for adding a piece here or there, but I never want to breakup the chemistry of the team. Certainly when a player is not performing over a period of time, yes you have to pull the trigger, but they are rolling now and their main bats haven't caught fire yet.
JABQ04
AG
That was ugly by George.
astros4545
AG
Wtf is going on
astros4545
AG
Worst first inning offense in baseball continues to impress
JABQ04
AG
I am 100% surprised we gotta out of that unscathed
astros4545
AG
JABQ04 said:

I am 100% surprised we gotta out of that unscathed

DK did a job right there
JABQ04
AG
#TOOTBLAN
astros4545
AG
JABQ04 said:

#TOOTBLAN
textbook slide though
astros4545
AG
Musgrove with 4 scoreless innings thus far in his season debut
6-4-3
AG
Geez Correa... married life has not been good to you so far.
First Page Last Page
Page 292 of 1260

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.