Extra inning games

1,209 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by W
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
W
AG
uh-oh, bad news for all those closers that need to start the inning "fresh"
jkag89
Extra inning games are not the problem here, pace of play is the problem so I hate this but I believe it was used in the Olympics when baseball was part of the Games and in the World Baseball Classic so not totally out of left field.
W
AG
the commissioner is serious about getting the games into a crisp 3-hour TV window
03_Aggie
Oh look, another beer league softball rule. Next up, starting with 1 and 1 counts.
astros4545
AG
I think this is for only spring training and Allstar games

Who cares
bigcat22
AG
Bonfired
AG
astros4545 said:

Who cares

If this is the case, then fine. Hell, spring training games end in ties regularly. Piss on that being a regular season rule.
CampingAg
AG
astros4545 said:

Who cares
That's their "testing" phase.

Stupid that a reliever would get charged for that run if it scores.
DannyDuberstein
AG
diehard03
Quote:

Stupid that a reliever would get charged for that run if it scores.

Relievers already get a free pass on runners they inherited anyway. This isn't that big a deal.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
Stupid to say they are experimenting. Obviously it will generally reduce the number of extra innings in extra inning games.
W
AG
the players kind of want extra-inning games to go away.

for the same reason they don't like playing doubleheaders anymore --- don't want to spend all day at the ballpark
Farmer1906
AG
Absolutely terrible idea.
diehard03
Quote:

for the same reason they don't like playing doubleheaders anymore --- don't want to spend all day at the ballpark

Instead of doing gimmicky things like the runners on base, I'd rather them just end it after 9 in the regular season. Keep extra for playoffs.
Farmer1906
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Instead of doing gimmicky things like the runners on base, I'd rather them just end it after 9 in the regular season. Keep extra for playoffs.
As much as I hate ties I would prefer this over adding runners. Maybe limit extras to 3 innings.
diehard03
Quote:

As much as I hate ties I would prefer this over adding runners. Maybe limit extras to 3 innings.

The issue is always that's part of 162. The team themselves worry more about what an extra inning game does for your next 2-3 games than actually winning/losing. I think once you are there, the value of extra innings goes to zero.
W
AG
I would be okay with capping games at 12 innings and just calling it a tie if no one scores.

same for college football after 3 overtimes. Just call it a tie at that point
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.