Indians retire Chief Wahoo

3,091 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by diehard03
Propane & Accessories
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Indians abandon Chief Wahoo

Quote:

Citing a goal of diversity and inclusion, Manfred said in a statement provided to The New York Times that the Indians organization "ultimately agreed with my position that the logo is no longer appropriate for on-field use in Major League Baseball, and I appreciate Mr. Dolan's acknowledgment that removing it from the on-field uniform by the start of the 2019 season is the right course."

You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
Schrute
astros4545
Quincey P. Morris
DannyDuberstein
AG
weak
Frok
AG

Law Hall 69-72
JDUB08AG
AG
Because, you know, that now changes everything.
94chem
Acting like you've grown a moral compass when you've killed a sense of humor. Dilly dilly.
Rossko
AG
Capt. America
AG
I can think of only one suitable replacement:

txag614
So stupid.
Kashchei
AG

Why not change the team name to the "Cleveland Native Americans" while they're at it.
TAZ99
AG
Now that that's settled can we move on to changing the team names for the Yankees and Angels and make them take the halo out of their logo?
Gil Renard
AG
I have a chief Wahoo bobblehead. On of the great logos in sports
KT 90
AG
powerbelly
AG
Kashchei said:

Why not change the team name to the "Cleveland Native Americans" while they're at it.
I would bet a name change happens within 5 years.
CampingAg
AG
If it's that offensive, why are they waiting until 2019 to take it off the uniforms? Why not immediately? Proof that they are just pandering.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are going to sell a ****load of Chief Wahoo merch this year.
diehard03
Quote:

It's a win/win for the organization. They can win the PR game, and make a lot of money off of both people thinking they wont make it anymore (they've already said they will keep selling it) AND everyone feeling like they have to "rebuy" everything with the new logo.

That said, I don't get the people are upset about the change. Well, actually, I get that it just a "omg Leftist are evil" thing. It's just an odd hill to die on, considering that they give you so many other reasons.
astros4545
AG
No issue is too small to get upset about if you are in the right

diehard03
Quote:

Is their logo no different than the Astros logo, in terms of offensiveness, to you?
Andyzipp
AG
CampingAg said:

If it's that offensive, why are they waiting until 2019 to take it off the uniforms? Why not immediately? Proof that they are just pandering.
Any changes to team colors and/or logos have to be approved by MLB something like a season in advance. Probably not to hang their licensed merchandise providers and other vendors out to dry.

astros4545
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Is their logo no different than the Astros logo, in terms of offensiveness, to you?

I think Orbit is very offensive

We are characterizing an entire species of potential people as green creatures

Astros logo is also embarrassingly divisive like the Indians
diehard03
Quote:

I see the Politics-Board-level arguments have seeped in over here. There's not many camps on this issue. If you are in disagreement on the logo changing, either one of these 2 things are true: It's literally not offensive and you don't think anyone should be offended by it...or you admit that it might be offensive, but you don't care because of any myriad of reasons.

Usually strawmen claims about other teams mascots fall in the latter camp. I am just clarifying your position.
03_Aggie
DannyDuberstein said:

Ordered a low profile 59fifty in red and navy and looking for a all navy one in my size.
Rossko
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I see the Politics-Board-level arguments have seeped in over here. There's not many camps on this issue. If you are in disagreement on the logo changing, either one of these 2 things are true: It's literally not offensive and you don't think anyone should be offended by it...or you admit that it might be offensive, but you don't care because of any myriad of reasons.

Usually strawmen claims about other teams mascots fall in the latter camp. I am just clarifying your position.
This logic could be used for any logo for any team in any sport. We are in 2018 and people are offended when the sun comes up.
tjack16
AG
I think if the majority of Native Americans find it offensive, then it's not up to us to question it or decide "no you're wrong it's not offensive"
W
AG
are the Indians completely getting rid of the logo?

I thought they were just taking it off their uniforms, but will still sell merchandise at the ballpark with the logo beyond 2018
TXAggie2011
AG
Rossko said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

This logic could be used for any logo for any team in any sport. We are in 2018 and people are offended when the sun comes up.

No, the logic behind this decision could not be used for any logo for any team in any sport.
03_Aggie
They were strong armed by MLB and agreed to it as a condition to hosting the all-star game.
diehard03
Rossko said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

I bolded the portion which covers situations where it's really silly...like if someone said they were offended by the Astros logo.

Honestly, I can understand how someones whos not Native American can see the logo and think it's not offensive. There can be conversations around that.

But leaning on these bad arguments that everyone gets offended too easily or that non-existent Orbit clones might be offended just screams that you don't really care. You really can't have a conversation about that.
diehard03
Quote:

They were strong armed by MLB and agreed to it as a condition to hosting the all-star game.

This is only a narrative for the public. The team didn't need to be strong armed into it.
03_Aggie
diehard03 said:

Quote:

This is only a narrative for the public. The team didn't need to be strong armed into it.

Then why now and why only for "on the field use?" Did it just become offensive? Or is it only offensive if it's on a uniform worn by the team or a sign hanging in the stadium? Not offensive if it's on a team hat or shirt for sale to John Q. Public?

Rossko
AG
diehard03 said:

Rossko said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

I bolded the portion which covers situations where it's really silly...like if someone said they were offended by the Astros logo.

Honestly, I can understand how someones whos not Native American can see the logo and think it's not offensive. There can be conversations around that.

But leaning on these bad arguments that everyone gets offended too easily or that non-existent Orbit clones might be offended just screams that you don't really care. You really can't have a conversation about that.
Silly to some is not silly to all. You make think plenty of names are not offensive at all but there would actually be people offended by them. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this decision, it's the team's right to do whatever they want with the franchise they own. I'm just saying your bolded portion of the two options is an opinion and isn't really an option. Everyone falls into the second camp whether you agree or disagree with the decision.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.