Ian Kinsler just ripped everybody's favorite ump

2,477 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigPuma
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holy cow. After getting tossed for questioning balls and strikes, Kinsler publicly said Angel Hernandez needs to reevaluate his career choice.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20354481/ian-kinsler-detroit-tigers-rips-angel-hernandez-day-umpire-messing-baseball-games

[url=http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20354481/ian-kinsler-detroit-tigers-rips-angel-hernandez-day-umpire-messing-baseball-games][/url]Joe Torre will have to suspend him but probably would prefer to give him a medal.

astros4545
AG
Awesome

I happened to be watching live, and I just started laughing when I saw it was Angel behind the plate
alvtimes
He gonna sue Kinsler now too.....
titanmaster_race
Say Chowdah
AG
Saw the video and was totally confused as to what caused him to toss him. I guess he asked something like "are you sure?" to the ball that was way outside.

That is awesome!
W
AG
Kinsler channelled his inner-Trump.

said what needed to be said, but no one previously was willing to say it
Quincey P. Morris
AG
He d***ed up a call last night against the Rangers that was luckily reviewable. He was literally right on top of the play and it wasn't even that close. I have no idea how he missed it.
MooseJr1994
AG
Angel could use a nice nut shot from a 95mph fastball.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Lucky #007 said:

He d***ed up a call last night against the Rangers that was luckily reviewable. He was literally right on top of the play and it wasn't even that close. I have no idea how he missed it.

Yep. Called the Tiger player safe at 2nd. When it went to review, the runner headed to the dugout right away. Knew it would be reversed.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The amazing thing to me on that play was he seemed to give that speed demon Miguel Cabrera the benefit of the doubt on getting there.
PatAg
AG
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20389152/umpires-ban-together-ian-kinsler-criticism-angel-hernandez

these people think entirely too much of their own value. Fire them all and hire new ones, **** em.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's just embarrassing. Do they really want to go to bat for one of the two worst umpires in the game who is currently suing the league?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Robots.

This armband thing goes to the root of the problem -> pride and ego are more important than doing the job well. I think the players should respond by wearing wristbands in any game umpired by Angel Hernandez and a few other lousy umpires. This is apparently an allowable display per MLB.
Mathguy64
AG
From reading, it seems like the unos are not exactly in lockstep. Some wore white wristbands, some wore black ones and some didn't wear any. I suspect Angel isn't quite the martyr he thinks he is.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think it goes without saying that Angel isn't nearly as important as he thinks he is. I also love the part of the release about how they protect the integrity of the game. What a crock! If they consider that part of their job then going to bat for Angel Hernandez is the absolute antithesis of that goal.
DannyDuberstein
AG
For umpires that truly care about the integrity of the game and the respect their profession is given, Angel Martinez should be public enemy #1.
Prosperdick
AG
I can't think of any worse traits for an umpire than what Angel possesses:

• Thinks he's "bigger than the game" - check
  • Wildly inconsistent strike zone - check
  • Personal beefs and vendetta's against hitters/pitchers/managers - check
  • Anticipates tag outs rather than watching the actual tag - check
  • Allows fans to influence out/safe calls at first - check
I'm sure there's more but that's what I came up with off the top of my head. If he was only "blind as a bat" that would be better as it would at least allow some type of consistency with his calls.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Honestly, that press release would indicate the umpires as a whole have a rather inflated view of themselves. Hernandez is just the worst of the bunch.
ChipFTAC01
AG
In reading Angel Hernandez's wikipedia today, it led me to Joe West's, which led me to the 1999 MLB Umpire Mass Resignation. Probably because it occured when I was in college and pretty much only paying attention to sports on campus, I don't remember this at all.

It looks like the Umpires Union vastly overplayed their negotiating position and it killed their union and the owners basically said, "Bye." The one takeaway from the article was that we almost were rid of Joe West forever.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Remember this well. They overplayed their hand to a ridiculous degree. One of the all-time snafu's by a union in organized labor history.

They did get rid of some bad umpires. Problem is they missed a few. I think Angel Hernandez has always had them fearful from a racial discrimination standpoint, and it's the main reason he's kept his job.
titanmaster_race
DannyDuberstein said:

For umpires that truly care about the integrity of the game and the respect their profession is given, Angel Martinez should be public enemy #1.

Philip J Fry
AG
Cannot stand the delicate flowers MLB umps are.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Please go to computer umps. Please
PatAg
AG
I will say, I think we all respect the umps that are good at their job, take pride in doing it well, and don't put themselves ahead of the game. We just don't know their names.
Mathguy64
AG
The amount of Kinsler's fine came out today. A whopping $10,000. His current deal is 5yrs, $85MM. So basically 22% of one day's pay. Hell, the MLB per diem is $100, so he could just suck it up and eat the clubhouse buffet for 100 days.
Slicer97
AG
PatAg said:

We just don't know their names.

And that's as it should be. The less they are noticed, generally, the better the quality of their work.
Bregxit
AG
mathguy86 said:

The amount of Kinsler's fine came out today. A whopping $10,000. His current deal is 5yrs, $85MM. So basically 22% of one day's pay. Hell, the MLB per diem is $100, so he could just suck it up and eat the clubhouse buffet for 100 days.

Man the way Ausmus was talking I expected another zero on there.
Mathguy64
AG
I was too.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Power of the MLBPA. Low fine scale
alvtimes
Kinsler should pay fine.... then announce he is matching the fine with a $10,000 donation to a Detroit area school of the blind
BigPuma
AG
the fine is a donation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.