[Laugh/Cry] Angel Hernandez sues MLB

3,444 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BCSWguru
coconutED
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Umpire Angel Hernandez sues MLB alleging racial discrimination
Quote:

Long-time umpire Angel Hernandez is suing Major League Baseball on the grounds of alleged racial discrimination. The Cuban-born Hernandez, 55, filed the complaint in the U.S. District Court in Cincinnati. Among the complaints are Hernandez not having been promoted to crew chief and his lack of World Series assignments under MLB chief officer Joe Torre.

I haven't been following the sport as closely as I used to, but I remember Hernandez consistently being among the worst rated umpires every season. I assume this is still the case, yes?

Quote:

When Torre was asked why Hernandez hasn't yet been promoted to crew chief, Torre's response was that Hernandez needs to "gain greater mastery of the official playing rules and replay regulations, continue to improve situation management, and display an ability to refocus and move forward after missing calls or receiving constructive feedback from the office."

titanmaster_race
what a moran
NotGibbs
It's never good for umpires when people know your name. He consistently sucks
bigcat22
AG
he always seems to make the game about him, and not the actual teams playing
astroboy
AG
This is amazing. The defense can just show some of Angel's greatest hits (the Oakland hr fiasco comes to mind) and show why he's such a f+++up.
Mike Elko
AG
Haven't you heard, every white guy in 'Merica's racist.
Psych
AG
The worst umpire in the league hasn't been able to call the World Series? Yep, that's racist...
DVC2010
AG
Psych said:

The worst umpire in the league hasn't been able to call the World Series? Yep, that's racist...

Second-worst.
Psych
AG
Who's worse?

Joe West?

I know people like to bag on him..and he certainly blows quite a few calls...but no one is consistently terrible like Hernandez (that I've ever seen.)
cevans_40
AG
Its one thing to be bad but it's totally different when you are bad and a dick while doing it.
titanmaster_race
Psych said:

Who's worse?

Joe West?

I know people like to bag on him..and he certainly blows quite a few calls...but no one is consistently terrible like Hernandez (that I've ever seen.)

Do you even C.B. Bucknor?
Psych
AG
Just my opinion, but I don't think he is as bad as Hernandez
gougler08
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Psych said:

Who's worse?

Joe West?

Do you even C.B. Bucknor?
That's racist too
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Hernandez to me hasn't always just been bad because he blows calls. He's bad because he escalates situations because of his fragile ego. It's annoying and not surprising that he's shut out of promotions. Who wants a crew chief that has zero chance of keeping his cool? I'm just astounded he's still employed.
titanmaster_race
Lucky #007 said:

Hernandez to me hasn't always just been bad because he blows calls. He's bad because he escalates situations because of his fragile ego. It's annoying and not surprising that he's shut out of promotions. Who wants a crew chief that has zero chance of keeping his cool? I'm just astounded he's still employed.
CFTXAG10
AG
Announced as umpire for the All-Star Game

MLB trolling here?
Sandman98
AG
His favorite part of the job is scanning the stands and asking players "whose pass list is that?", upon locating attractive females.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
http://mlb.mlb.com/r/video?content_id=1661193883

And this guy who has the worst case of little man syndrome ever thinks he should be calling games that actually matter? No thanks.
Ag_07
AG
Kinlser going scorched earth on Angel after being tossed mid-AB

Quote:

After being tossed from yesterday's game, Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler was blunt (to say the least) when voicing his displeasure with veteran umpire Angel Hernandez today. "I don't know how, for as many years he's been in the league, that he can be that bad," said Kinsler of Hernandez's strike zone. "He needs to reevaluate his career choice, he really does. Bottom line. He's changing the game. He needs to find another job." Kinsler was tossed mid-at-bat for questioning Hernandez's strike zone, though as he tells it, he never cursed at the umpire. Kinsler also recalled a story from his rookie season in which he was repeatedly "screamed" at by Hernandez for blocking Hernandez's view on a play at first base.

It's far from the first time that Hernandez has been called out by a player, though Kinsler's vitriolic comments there are many more in the columns from McCosky and Fenech are likely the most extreme case you'll see anytime soon. The Tigers' second baseman acknowledged that he'll likely be disciplined for his outburst but didn't let that serve as a deterrent in sounding off: "No one in this game wants [him] behind the plate any more, none of the players."

BigPuma
AG
he has had the most inconsistent strike zone i've seen this season.
BCSWguru

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.