Anybody here collect cards?

1,849 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by miller0926
mike_ags_fan12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm thinking about starting up the hobby but is it weird for 28 year old to be collecting cards?

Come through for me, MLB board..
aTm2004
AG
Used to when I was a kid. Still have majority of them with the real collectibles in the safe (Griffey '89 Upper Deck rookie, etc).
jah003
S
Collected from about age 5 until about 25. 30 now. Shut things down when my daughter was born. Honestly have no idea how many cards I have right now... Maybe 20-30K. Got big into collecting one player for a while (honestly the most fun). Think I have over 2K unique Bagwell cards. If I had the extra income I once did I'd still be collecting...
Mr.Ackar07
I do. Like jah003, if you start collecting, you will probably have the most fun if you limit your collecting to a theme. Whether that be a favorite player, a favorite team, guys who tossed no-hitters, autographs of favorite players, guys who played for your college team (this is what I collect: Link), etc.

In my opinion, people who just pick up random cards here and there, and open random packs, end up with a bunch of random cards they don't know what to do with. You may start out this way if you are unsure of what exactly you want to collect, but over time, collectors tend to drift to a theme and get more enjoyment out of it.
Ag2012
AG
I did as a kid. Pretty sure I still have a Michael Jordan minor league card somewhere.
Farmer1906
AG
I did 20 years ago. It was great going to the card shot with my dad. If we ever splurged for the box it was like Christmas morning. Then I'd go the through Beckett Magazine to see much the cards were worth. I had Bagwell, Biggio, Griffey, & Thomas rookies. I was a little more into basketball than baseball. I probably had about 150 different Hakeem cards.
aTm2004
AG
I think I have about 400 Biggio cards from when I was a kid.
StEdsCOOG
I went with a buddy to a Tri-Star event at NRG last year with no intentions of buying anything as I hadn't collected sports memorabilia since high school almost 20 years ago. Next thing I know, I'm leaving with autographed baseballs of Mantle, Ted Williams and DiMaggio and I have since started collecting Pre-1940's baseball pennants. Move forward to February and I get back into card collecting but as someone mentioned, it's better to go with a theme. For me it's Correa, Harper, Bryant and Trout autographed number cards. I bought a couple boxes at the start which is fun, but in the end you get stuck with a bunch of cards with no value so I just buy singles off eBay. I told myself that I'd put them back on eBay down the road to turn a small profit so we'll see.
mike_ags_fan12
Awesome, I think my theme is going to be everything Astros. From former players, to current players to Orbit.
Mr.Ackar07
In addition to eBay, these 2 sites are also beneficial:

COMC aka "Check out my Cards"
Sport Lots

For a not complete, but more comprehensive than most checklist, check here: http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Team.cfm/tid/12/Houston-Astros

If you click on the Baseball link (Main/Baseball/Teams), you can filter by more options than just the Astros or by more than just Teams.
Ag-Yoakum95
AG

If you are starting a collection, you might as well start with this one (1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle Rookie Card). I saw this one being sold for $7,500 in Cooperstown this past weekend during the HOF weekend. Crazy!

Mr.Ackar07
Ag-Yoakum95 said:

If you are starting a collection, you might as well start with this one (1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle Rookie Card). I saw this one being sold for $7,500 in Cooperstown this past weekend during the HOF weekend. Crazy!

That exact one? If so, I think you're undervaluing the sales price by a factor of 100. PSA 5 (without qualifiers) 1951 Bowman Mantles will sell for twice that, and a Gem 10 grade is as rare as they come. Like, the above picture is the only 1951 Bowman Mantle that has ever graded that high.
Ag-Yoakum95
AG
Yes, that is the one. I took a photo of it while I was there with the price tag of $7,500. I don't disagree that it probably is more valuable, but that was the list price at the card shop I was in.
AstroAggie15
AG
I found some old cigarrete packs in my grandads cigar box one and of them had a baseball card in it. Some guy name Honus Wagner?

Is that worth anything?
AstroAggie15
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Ag-Yoakum95 said:

That exact one? If so, I think you're undervaluing the sales price by a factor of 100. PSA 5 (without qualifiers) 1951 Bowman Mantles will sell for twice that, and a Gem 10 grade is as rare as they come. Like, the above picture is the only 1951 Bowman Mantle that has ever graded that high.
If that is real, and you are not ****ting us.....

There is a PSA 8 bowman on Ebay right now for like 65k...........

but I highly doubt you are telling the truth as it is the same card pictured (same picture) on PSA's website

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/baseball-cards/1951-bowman/mickey-mantle-253/22430/
Mr.Ackar07
Yeah, if that was real, I would be on a plane tomorrow to buy that to send to an auction house.
coach_pope
AG
Grew up huge card collector went through boxes months ago and got rid of most of the collection except all Astros and big name players or valuable cards. As a big autograph collector I now focus on getting them signed. Cheap and easy items to get signed and players will usually sign multiple cards at one time. Also a lot of retired players will sign through the mail.
LC Wannabe
S
My parents have given me a complete set of Tops to for Christmas every year since about '87. The first few sets I put into card binders, so that I could look through them without messing them up. I think around '91 or '92 I quit opening the set. I have around 25 unopened sets, plastic still on them, sitting in my closet.

When my first son was born in '04, my dad starting getting him cards for Christmas too. He did the same for my second son that was born in '06. It's turned into quite the tradition to get a set of Tops each year. Not sure if they have any monetary value, but they are very valuable to me.
aggiedata
AG
Dating myself here but hey!

As a kid I tried to complete the 1975 Topps set by buying single packs with left over allowance money. I made a valiant effort but there was no way. About 15 years ago I found them all in a box. I put them sleeves and set out on eBay to complete.

Now completed, it sits there as a testament to never giving up on your goals! Not really but it was fun to finally finish. I then started trying to upgrade some worn cards and found a set of mini cards they produced in 75.
Mr.Ackar07
aggiedata said:

Dating myself here but hey!

As a kid I tried to complete the 1975 Topps set by buying single packs with left over allowance money. I made a valiant effort but there was no way. About 15 years ago I found them all in a box. I put them sleeves and set out on eBay to complete.

Now completed, it sits there as a testament to never giving up on your goals! Not really but it was fun to finally finish. I then started trying to upgrade some worn cards and found a set of mini cards they produced in 75.
Make sure you keep the George Brett is mint condition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGS-9-5-GEORGE-BRETT-1975-CANADIAN-TOPPS-OPC-BASEBALL-ROOKIE-PSA-10-SOLD-4-40K-/292105818713?hash=item4402dd1259:g:epoAAOSww9xZCrmJ
aggiedata
AG
I have a pretty good Robin Yount. My original George was produced off set. Of all the cards to be wrong from birth!
Psych
AG
I stopped collecting after my mom threw out 3 of my T206 Honus Wagner cards.

But seriously, I'm sure I have all of mine in my bedroom back home. Given the time period I collected, I suspect they aren't worth *****
KT 90
AG
How does the grading work and what do they charge for this? Do people actually mail valuable cards to someplace to be graded?

Still have quite a few cards in boxes in the attic, most of which probably aren't worth squat. But my Dad did buy a few cards that were more expensive that might be worth something.

I know it's supposedly harder to find people who are actually willing to pay money for cards. I guess that is where the grading comes into play. If it's graded you can sell it online easier I assume.

Will probably be years before I dig them out of my moms attic, but thought I'd ask.

Mr.Ackar07
KT 90 said:

How does the grading work and what do they charge for this? Do people actually mail valuable cards to someplace to be graded?

Still have quite a few cards in boxes in the attic, most of which probably aren't worth squat. But my Dad did buy a few cards that were more expensive that might be worth something.

I know it's supposedly harder to find people who are actually willing to pay money for cards. I guess that is where the grading comes into play. If it's graded you can sell it online easier I assume.

Will probably be years before I dig them out of my moms attic, but thought I'd ask.

The two biggest and most reputable card graders are PSA (Professional Sports Authenticator) and BGS (Beckett Grading Services). Most people use PSA for pre 1993 cards (i.e. cardboard based cards) and BGS for the newer shinier cards. PSA gives one overall grade to the card. BGS discloses 4 subgrades (corner, centering, surface, edges) and one overall grade.

Each site gives a synopsis as to what each level of grade means, but both grade on a scale from 0 to 10 with BGS giving half grades as well (e.g. 9.5). PSA 10 and BGS 10 are the best grades and command the highest premiums.

Not all 10s will make the card worth the cost of the grading fees, so the best place to look is eBay. You can search 1984 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 9 to see what kind of price a 1984 Topps Nolan Ryan card graded PSA 9 will fetch (it's about $10) vs a PSA 10 (about $60). The premium mostly depends on the "population". PSA provides the number of times a particular card has been graded, and what grade it received. Following this link shows that card #470 (Nolan Ryan) has had 1,158 cards graded PSA 9 vs only 260 graded PSA 10.

Just check ebay prices and population reports to see if submitting a card is worth it. Plus check out ebay to see what a PSA 9 vs a PSA 10 looks like. Remember too that grading is subjective. The person grading the card gives their personal opinion based on factors.
KT 90
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

KT 90 said:

The two biggest and most reputable card graders are PSA (Professional Sports Authenticator) and BGS (Beckett Grading Services). Most people use PSA for pre 1993 cards (i.e. cardboard based cards) and BGS for the newer shinier cards. PSA gives one overall grade to the card. BGS discloses 4 subgrades (corner, centering, surface, edges) and one overall grade.

Each site gives a synopsis as to what each level of grade means, but both grade on a scale from 0 to 10 with BGS giving half grades as well (e.g. 9.5). PSA 10 and BGS 10 are the best grades and command the highest premiums.

Not all 10s will make the card worth the cost of the grading fees, so the best place to look is eBay. You can search 1984 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 9 to see what kind of price a 1984 Topps Nolan Ryan card graded PSA 9 will fetch (it's about $10) vs a PSA 10 (about $60). The premium mostly depends on the "population". PSA provides the number of times a particular card has been graded, and what grade it received. Following this link shows that card #470 (Nolan Ryan) has had 1,158 cards graded PSA 9 vs only 260 graded PSA 10.

Just check ebay prices and population reports to see if submitting a card is worth it. Plus check out ebay to see what a PSA 9 vs a PSA 10 looks like. Remember too that grading is subjective. The person grading the card gives their personal opinion based on factors.

Thanks for the info. If I were to do a few cards it would be for some from the 50's or 60's timeframe, so not as much volume produced back then as there in the 80's, 90's etc. I actually have a decent amount from the 70's and 80's that I bought way back when, who knows as to the condition though. My dad would occasionally buy an individual or two of some of his favorite players (J. Robinson, Campenella, Koufax, plus some others). Some of those might be worth a decent amount and thus justify paying for a rating, but I don't know that I really want to get rid of them. My kid is getting info baseball cards now. Need to dig them out first though.

miller0926
AG
My father has been collecting since he was a kid and has over 100,000 cards. He trades with people all the time on a site called The Trading Card DataBase. Mainly collects Topps and always shows me cards of Ags when he gets them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.