***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,333,638 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Doesn't this happen to Fiers often?

Seems like on a few occasions last year he would spot the other team runs and have a complete crap outing only to get bailed out by the bats.

Probably happens for a lot of 4th and 5th starters, especially early in the season when they're still matched up against other 4th and 5th starters.
bearkatag15
AG
I'm back guys from my ban. Glad to see TOFA is back even if it is in limited, censored fashion. Good comeback last night.
JJxvi
AG
mazag08 said:

Three players should be on the bench after that inning to send a message. Beltran, Bregman, and Correa.
That would have been smart.
Mr.Ackar07
bearkatag15 said:

I'm back guys from my ban. Glad to see TOFA is back even if it is in limited, censored fashion. Good comeback last night.
Coincidence, I think not!
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Come on guys. I understand the frustration. I wasn't bad mouthing yall for negative posts. I've been following these Astros threads for 10 years with occasional posts so I know how it is. I just thought it was humorous that if you followed this thread for last night's game without knowing the score, you would have thought we were losing until the #TOFA posts started.
bobinator
AG
People get emotional during games, it happens, and frankly we did do some dumb stuff, but we still won.

I can't decide if that gives me hope or concern for the future. On one hand, how good will we be if we stop doing that stuff if we're winning while doing it; and on the other hand what if it's a systemic problem that we're doing it now and it keeps happening. It's hard to tell in the early season, especially with some guys that had a different kind of spring training because of the WBC.

For now though I'm optimistic that we're starting to come together, and that these things are one-offs that have just happened to happen close to each other in the early season.
JJxvi
AG
Uh, I just read the the thread pretty much knowing how the game went already and there werent any negative posts except griping about a strike call in the last hour of the game. Nobody posted the score, so I guess in a "I know they scored off Fiers, but nobody posted the score after Astros runs" kinda way it could be confusing, but thats a PBP issue not a positivity/negativity one.
irish pete ag06
AG
In regards to the hyper aggressive baserunning that leads to the mind numbing TOOTBLANs. Some of the folks I correspond with that write for the Crawfishboxes seem to think based on some interviews they've read, discussions with front office folks, etc. that the Astros have data that suggests the league is way too passive in baserunning. I know for sure they believe in sending the runner home very liberally. That led to them hiring Gary Pettis (the human windmill). Now, we remember the ridiculous outs that caused last year, but it's also easy to forget the amount of times we've scored from that aggressiveness. We see it in the younger guys especially who've been raised in the Astros farms and indoctrinated into the Astros way.

Now, that does not explain George Springer's lack of base stealing ability, Yuli Gurriel's brain fart pick off, or some of the other stuff. However, a hyper aggressive baserunning mind set could definitely lead to more TOOTBLANs, but it also may lead to more runs. The Astros are extremely smart, and probably have an actual +/- number their baserunning philosophy has led to and and adjust it accordingly.

If anyone has read Moneyball, they know the As never stole and never tried to go 1st to 3rd, etc. I'm thinking this may have percolated through the industry and led to an overabundance of caution. The Astros folks may have recognized this and are trying to exploit a possible market inefficiency.
gigemJTH12
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Also... a reminder that Nori Aoki was a freaking WAIVER CLAIM.

I love that guy. He's exactly what this Astros lineup has been needing.
he needs to be in the lineup every day until he stops hitting.
bobinator
AG
I love Aoki, he's the perfect kind of contact guy that seems to really piss off opposing pitchers because he just won't strike out.
irish pete ag06
AG
bobinator said:

I love Aoki, he's the perfect kind of contact guy that seems to really piss off opposing pitchers because he just won't strike out.
Yep.

He literally has made contact on everything in the zone.

Ag_07
AG
I'm confused...

I was told our hitting coach is a putz and every acquisition we have comes here and falls off a cliff.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm confused...

I was told our hitting coach is a putz and every acquisition we have comes here and falls off a cliff.

I still have reservations about this.
NotGibbs
I'm still in shock that the Astros won a game the Fires, Sipp and Peacock all pitched in
Johnsy3
AG
He's the perfect type of hitter to add consistency to our swing-for-the-fences offense
agproducer
AG
A couple of observations:

The young players are going to make mistakes, and I'm ok with that. They just need to learn from them. I'd say Correa made up for his baserunning blunder when he grabbed the chopper up the middle in the 5th (I think), spun around and got the guy at first.

Speaking of the Correa baserunning -- I think that was on Pettis. And, like irishpete said, I think the Astros have seen something about baserunning and cautiousness and they are trying something different.

Also, it's great to see Altuve coming around like we all knew he would.

I've been impressed with Yuli the last couple games. He's looking like a player over at 1st. And, the last two games, he's hit the ball hard. He's had a few at-'em balls, and it is just a matter of time before they start getting through.

Bregman needs to be more selective at the plate. Yes, he walked early in the game, but some of his other ABs were just atrocious. He kept hacking at that slider or curve ball in the dirt.

Overall, you have to be please with the 6-4 record. Seattle's starting pitching is pretty good, and to be 5-2 against them is encouraging -- especially since they are considered contenders as well. Also, the offense looks like it's coming to life. I'm curious to see how the Astros do against the A's and Angels. I kind of like the west coast road trips because I can actually watch the games with the wife and kid in bed.

Oh, and I love #TOFA.

titanmaster_race
A few thoughts now that I'm back from my 24hr ban (banned because ???):

1. I'm glad moderator stepped in, and now we can have an actual level headed discussion about #TOFA instead of vague warnings and bans. On that line, are there really people who texags on their work computer and don't have it in mobile mode? Texags as a whole is a minefield full of random borderline sfw pics and gifs. Mobile browsing on the desktop completely fixes that, as you have to click on an image in order to see it. But, I think the #TOFA supporters on this thread would gladly compromise and restrict ourselves to only posting celebratory gifs in a dedicated #TOFA thread.

What say you Mod?

2. Fiers is the absolute worst. Slow delivery that lets runners get huge jumps, (and if they're extremely fast like Jarrod Dyson, they will never get thrown out if Fiers is on the mound), extremely tame pitch repertoire, and always does his best to lose the game in the first 3 innings. Seriously, when was his last 1st inning that was less than 30 pitches? On top of all that, he's trashy as hell. Not even real trailer trash like Colby Rasmus would be caught dead with a forearm tattoo of his own name. It's insane that we have someone like Devo sitting in the pen while Fiers gets to crack the rotation.

3. It warms my heart to watch the Astros walk all over Seager and Altavilla. Two of the biggest doushes in MLB. I will never get tired of Seager staring blankly into left field after he misses the ball at third, nor will I get tired of watching Altavilla drop the ball at home plate while simultaneously getting a face full of Correa's jock strap.

4. Was Dyson loafing it in LF last night? I thought for sure he would have cut off Beltran's double to keep him to a single.
titanmaster_race
gigemJTH12 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

he needs to be in the lineup every day until he stops hitting.
irish pete ag06
AG
Don't think Dyson was loafing. I think he just took a horrific angle.
pnsagdad
irish pete ag06 said:

Gomez flashbacks
W
AG
4. Was Dyson loafing it in LF last night? I thought for sure he would have cut off Beltran's double to keep him to a single.

-----
that crossed my mind too. May have been a combination of both
titanmaster_race
irish pete ag06 said:

He also looked slow getting to the ball during Bregman's double.
Snoop Lion
E said:

[Edited gif to make appropriate, y'all need some Jesus in your lives -- Fake Staff]

Snoop Lion
CorpsAg11
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm confused...

That'd b/c they do.

But continue overreacting to one game of offensive production, I know you're a fan of cant-hold-a-job Hudgens..
3B Paul 97
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

I expect you to be cussing him for something in the next 2-3 games.
bearkatag15
AG
Probably nothing but "MLB Rumor Central: Carlos Correa not interested in early multi-year deal"

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post/_/id/34437/mlb-rumor-central-carlos-correa-not-interested-in-early-multi-year-deal
titanmaster_race
Offense finally came alive. Altuve dominated.

Next team goal: one complete game without any baserunning gaffes.
TREX01
I don't understand the thinking of having devo limited to 100-120 innings as a reliever but letting fiers hold a rotation spot that could eat 150-175 innings. Don't we want our better pitchers holding down more innings?
iBrad
AG
Not surprised. They want to hit he open market and get top dollar. I seriously doubt he finishes his career in Houston.
mazag08
AG
Dyson took a bad angle because he is fast enough to think he can get to everything. Mistakes like that happen with guys like them. He's still been one of the only moderately consistent players for them early on. He's surprised me with how much value he has added to what used to be a poor defense, but also at the plate.
Farmer1906
AG
TREX01 said:

I don't understand the thinking of having devo limited to 100-120 innings as a reliever but letting fiers hold a rotation spot that could eat 150-175 innings. Don't we want our better pitchers holding down more innings?
I think it probably has to do with rest time. Davo might pitch 3 games in 5 nights. He's not getting a standard rest time. He doesn't know how long he'll go. I think his inning irregularity would be harder on his arm.
pnsagdad
iBrad said:

Not surprised. They want to hit he open market and get top dollar. I seriously doubt he finishes his career in Houston.

After seeing what happen to singleton's career, I'd sign. The whole "betting on yourself" mentality is too much of a risk with that much money on the table (at least for me haha). One horrible injury (god forbid) and you're SOL on millions

TREX01
Don't we want fiers arm to fall off before devo?
Farmer1906
AG
TREX01 said:

Don't we want fiers arm to fall off before devo?
Of course, but there may be something to having a shut down long reliever. He could impact a handful of games in a week instead of just one.

It seemed to work out pretty well for Cleveland in the playoffs.
First Page Last Page
Page 81 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.