***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,331,803 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr.Ackar07 said:

I've been meaning to ask, has your work at NASA ever put you in contact with Amy Mainzer?

Rule #1

Sadly no. She works at NASA JPL in California.
titanmaster_race
But there's an astronaut heading to the ISS in September that I pegged in the face with a dodgeball last year.
DVC2010
AG
What do you do down there?
DVC2010
AG
I meant to use this face.
titanmaster_race
DVC2010 said:

What do you do down there?

I work for the space station program.

There are a ton of sips in the program, but the program manager and deputy manager are both Aggies.
Ag_07
AG
Random musings on a Wed afternoon...

I'm pretty giddy to see what Morton does tonight.

and

Quote:

Astros first baseman Jon Singleton has been pushed all the way back to Double-A to open the season, as Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle writes. While the move was made to ensure he is able to receive consistent playing time, that obviously suggests he's behind others most notably, A.J. Reed in the depth chart. Unlike Reed, Singleton is also without a 40-man spot at present, though his contract, which runs through 2018 and includes three option years thereafter, surely provides at least some incentive for the organization to move him to the majors if circumstances warrant.
CSWendt
AG
It's pretty apparent the Astros have just marked Singleton as a sunk cost. I think there is little hope for him making the Majors again. With the expectations this team has you really have to prove yourself to earn a spot on this roster.
k20dub
AG
iBrad
AG
With Reed, White, and Moran all at AAA, and JD Davis likely to join them at some point, Singleton would be a waste of space and stealing ABs from guys who could help the big league club at some point or add value to a trade. The AA assignment is probably it for him. If he doesn't produce there, he is literally a sunk cost.
iBrad
AG
I wonder how far the players have to move in order for it to be determined a shift. Teams have always shifted. Is a shift anything that's not straight away?

What I also find interesting is that the Brewers and Astros share pretty much the same philosophies yet are on opposite ends of the list. So while Astros fans that hate the shift will use this to support their case, the Brewers do the same things as the Astros and had success. At least according to this study.
mazag08
AG
k20dub said:

I got called out multiple times for being mad at Hinch for shifting in non shift situations.. like in double play situations. This cements it. There were games that were lost in late innings last year because we were in a shift where a normal defense would have gotten the job done.

Of course, Hinch would likely argue that the shifts would work if the pitcher would pitch properly to them. But if last year proved that our pitchers can't be counted on to pitch to the shift, then take the pressure off of them and let them go after a hitter the way they know best.
astros4545
AG
Shift with no one on base is fine

But shifts in double play situations may gain you one out, while possibly costing you two outs
E
AG
CSWendt said:

DVC2010 said:

CSWendt said:

In case you didn't know: The Torchy's area is first come first serve with any ticket. So if you bought a nosebleed seat and got there early enough you could watch the game from center field

How did you learn this? At the Cubs game last week, one of the attendants told me that they are all ticketed and reserved.
At the game yesterday we asked an attendant what the seating situation was. The front rows are reserved.

Additionally, the friend I went with works for the Astros and that's what they said they had heard before we asked the attendant.

So it's probably like how the outfield bar was in previous years. Front rows were reserved (I believe) and the top part by bar was first come first serve.

I have watched many a games from that bar area, good times!
CSWendt
AG
I'm thinking so. Surprisingly, yesterday about 15 minutes before first pitch I was standing in center field and there were still some seats open. Likely that weekend games it fills up quickly, but midweek games would be a sweet place to hang.

Also, once people get used to this new part of the park it will naturally be less populated.
titanmaster_race
astros4545 said:

Shift with no one on base is fine

But shifts in double play situations may gain you one out, while possibly costing you two outs
Ag_07
AG
k20dub said:

Don't let Dallas see this
CorpsAg11
AG
k20dub said:

Well, since we lost so many 1 run games last yr, the shift was probably the difference between making and missing the postseason. Sweet.
Ag_07
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

k20dub said:

Well, since we lost so many 1 run games last yr, the shift was probably the difference between making and missing the postseason. Sweet.

No. The rotation was absolute mess the last 1/4 of the season.
CFTXAG10
AG
gougler08
AG
Interesting to not have McCann / Gattis / Beltran all playing against a LHP
shano0603
AG
gougler08 said:

McCann doesn't hit lefties all too well.
JJxvi
AG
Pretty sure Gattis is basically going to be the catcher when we face a lefty. McCann bats left
astros4545
AG
gougler08 said:

Hinch should force McCann to bat righty

Then we he strikes out, tell him to "Respect the Game"
Furlock Bones
AG
CSWendt said:

It's pretty apparent the Astros have just marked Singleton as a sunk cost. I think there is little hope for him making the Majors again. With the expectations this team has you really have to prove yourself to earn a spot on this roster.

790 was talking about Fat Jon this morning. Guess is he lazied himself out of a major career.
Furlock Bones
AG
Would love to see the line up tee off tonight. Stamp the series with a dominant hitting performance after 2 great stitching performances.
mazag08
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Would love to see the line up tee off tonight. Stamp the series with a dominant hitting performance after 2 great stitching performances.

I absolutely expect it. Altuve is due a big game, Gattis hits good as a catcher, Correa and Springer rake against lefties, and Brigman is probably looking to bounce back in a big way after having a rough night defensively and at the plate. Not to mention curiel is going to be itching for his first hit
NotGibbs
mazag08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

I absolutely expect it. Altuve is due a big game, Gattis hits good as a catcher, Correa and Springer rake against lefties, and Brigman is probably looking to bounce back in a big way after having a rough night defensively and at the plate. Not to mention curiel is going to be itching for his first hit

What is a Brigman and where can I buy one?
Oyster DuPree
AG
I got your Brigman right here buddy
shano0603
AG
NotGibbs said:

mazag08 said:

Furlock Bones said:

What is a Brigman and where can I buy one?

I believe they are suppositories... and you can buy them from Hoss' grandma.
txag614
I have Comcast Xfinity. It say's the game is on Root Sports on the Astros website, but it's showing the Rockets game. Anyone know what channel to find it?

Edit- NVM found it!
3B Paul 97
AG
txag614 said:

I have Comcast Xfinity. It say's the game is on Root Sports on the Astros website, but it's showing the Rockets game. Anyone know what channel to find it?

Edit- NVM found it!

710 the Root Alt channel for anyone else that might need it.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Why does root not have a radar gun?
bobinator
AG
Catching up on posts today, my girlfriend drives a Hyundai so I guess we're gonna break up so I can find a Honda girl...
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Gurriel caught that DP throw really strangely
mAgnoliAg
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Why does root not have a radar gun?

This. His first pitch looked like 97 from my eye but I wanted to see
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.