Watching Houston Astros in Austin area......

10,806 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag13
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there anyway for me to watch the Astros in the greater Austin area without having DirectTV?

I'm comfortable streaming, but just not sure if that is even an option.

Thanks
irish pete ag06
AG
Until Root Sports pulls its head out of its ass and starts streaming on at least one of the major streaming outlets (Sling, PSVue, DirectvNOW), the only option are sketchy free streams online or buying MLB.TV and adding an unlocating service. I use unblock-us.

Root's production of the games is fantastic, but it has been an absolute debacle when it comes to distribution. I really wish the Astros would have stuck with Fox.
htownag08
AG
I literally just posted about this in the big thread before seeing this one. I have Dish and it sucks that Root is still not picked up. We are blacked out for MLB packages right?

Irish I totally agree with the Fox statement. Biggest mistake the Astros have made. Lost so much market presence in the state. And to do it at a time when the rangers took off and had every game available across the state. Terrible business decision.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I have U-verse and haven't had an issue watching root the last two seasons. I watched parts of the ST game last night without issue
htownag08
AG
That's what I had before we moved to Buda - not an option this far south and I previously had a bad experience with DirectTV but looks like I'm going back to get root.
Snoop Lion
Reddit
mazag08
AG
Look up Reddit MLB streams on google
htownag08
AG
Yep that's what I've used the first few games. Can't wait for that root streaming so I can leach off my parents Comcast account.
chet98
AG
MLB.tv + unblock-us works for you? Any downsides? We cut the cable a few years ago and REALLY don't want to go back to cable but would really like to watch the 'Stros.

I subscribe to SlingTV over a Roku box plus Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, the usual suspects. Might unblock-us have any negative impact on these?
Teddy Perkins
AG
What absolutely baffles me is that AT&T/Directv own Root Sports but still won't allow streaming of the channel, EVEN IF YOU'RE IN YOUR OWN F*ING HOUSE. The only possible reason I can see is that they are concerned with people sharing accounts to allow non-customers to stream the channel. I'd love to throw the game on the iPad while watching something else or playing Xbox, or watching the game on the iPad/computer while out of town on business. F YOU AT&T!
Mike Elko
AG
The fewer Asstros games, the better.
agproducer
AG
chet98 said:

MLB.tv + unblock-us works for you? Any downsides? We cut the cable a few years ago and REALLY don't want to go back to cable but would really like to watch the 'Stros.

I subscribe to SlingTV over a Roku box plus Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, the usual suspects. Might unblock-us have any negative impact on these?
I cut cable back in January. I'm watching the Astros. I've done research, gone through trial and error and here's what I'm doing. I'm in Houston, btw.

I subscribed to overplay.net for SmartDNS service and subscribed to MLB.tv. MLB.tv is a problem. You cannot use it through iphone, iPad or Android to stream to Chromecast. MLB.tv requires GPS verification on those devices and GPS spoofing doesn't work anymore. So, I'm running SmartDNS on my laptop, and getting the games there just fine. I tried screen mirroring to Chromecast to get it on my TV, but the picture is too choppy and unwatchable. So, I'm on laptop for now.

I can set the Smart DNS on my router to get it to all devices. I may do that next.

irish pete ag06
AG
I do the same with unblock-us. Set up your router and get you a cheap roku streaming stick and you can watch on TV.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
mazag08 said:

Look up Reddit MLB streams on google
I second this. I cancelled cable and was looking at options, but I really couldn't find anything worth investing in. The quality of the streams is very good (720p, 60fps). If Playstation Vue gets Root Sports, I will pay for that. Until then, I will go with streams on Reddit. $220 per month on cable is insane.
agproducer
AG
But, Pete, will it mess up my PSVue?

I already have Roku and Fire Stick. I'll need to factory reset Roku -- then download the MLB app, correct?
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

$220 per month on cable is insane.
Anyone paying that for cable is nuts but there are deals to be had for much cheaper. I'm locked in at $65 for DirecTV (Choice package with 4 TVs). Totally worth it for the DVR and Root Sports.
chet98
AG
That price isn't with Internet service is it? Just Direct TV?
chet98
AG
So you're watching on TV via Roku or the like? That'd be my goal.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Correct. Just cable. I've got Uverse internet (50MBps) for $50.
irish pete ag06
AG
Yes. Roku streaming stick. Gonna mess with overplay and see if it will work with amazon fire tv. So far, unblock-us doesn't work with that.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Revival03 said:

Quote:

$220 per month on cable is insane.
Anyone paying that for cable is nuts but there are deals to be had for much cheaper. I'm locked in at $65 for DirecTV (Choice package with 4 TVs). Totally worth it for the DVR and Root Sports.
I'm assuming you are a new customer, correct? Last year I was paying $130 per month for Uverse (75 mbps internet + cheapest package with Root Sports HD). Since my new customer deal ended, it made me pay for each thing in the package separately, which made it jump to $220. I called to try to negotiate a better deal, and the best they could offer was $150 for the package not counting taxes and fees. So I now pay for basic cable and 75 mbps internet for $80 a month. My apartment complex only has Uverse, so it's not like I can try another cable provider's new customer deal and come back later.
jopatura
AG
I get ROOT on DIRECTV with the Entertainment package. We have our bill bundled with AT&T for a cost of $47.98/mo. We don't carry any of the extra sports packages beyond what is bundled in the Entertainment package.
turfman80
AG
For the last two games, I have been able to find a stream on Reddit and then cast it to my tv through an IPad via TV Cast Chrome. Not all streams worked out ( ads, pop ups, trial sign ups, improper encoding, etc) but there have been about 10 per game to check out to get a good one.
HECUBUS
AG
Same. Tuned in at 4-5 from Threadgills after Greater Tuna and finished dinner at 10-6.

Thanks for the Reddit tip. Now for Dr Who...
dummble
AG
Someone mentioned that you can now stream Root sports through MLB. I am looking for specifics. Do i need a tv subscription and mlbtv?
Teddy Perkins
AG

Looks like you can stream through the Uverse or DirecTV apps. Others too likely. This was long overdue!
Mookie
AG
I am in round rock with uverse. Do not have root, it shows up on my guide but not subscribed.

I opened the uverse app on my tablet, logged in, searched for root. It allowed me to record the game from the app, I immediately turned on my tv, went to recordings and hit play. Watching virtually live now.
Ag13
AG
Has anyone figured out how to stream astros games in market on the MLB At Bat App (I have subscription and Root Sports access). Would be great to watch the games at the gym.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.