**Official Texas Rangers 2017 Season Thread** Staff Warning on OP

1,019,084 Views | 12008 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgBQ-00
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seems like when stuff gets down to the wire like this, there are wild varying reports. I still feel like we'll get something worked out to move Darvish. The idea that we can just take our ball and go home is a powerful one in these kinds of negotiations. Because while we're not likely to make a postseason run, we are at least capable of getting a WC spot as things stand right now.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

and this...

Mr Gigem
AG
Yep. The Rangers hold the upper hand here. They know the Dodgers essentially "need" Darvish with Kershaw down 4-6 weeks.

If I'm the Rangers, I say "Give us what we want, or we'll go onto the next."

It's no different than how I sell season tickets. Look I know you want the seats. I've got a line of people waiting for these. You either make a decision now, or I'm offering them to the next person.
mhayden
DallasAg 94 said:

free_mhayden said:

There's really no true way to "back up the truck" with Otani unless something changes with his posting structure or you do some backroom stuff and risk getting sanctioned by the commissioner.

All of major market teams are going to be offering him around the same amount of money - it will come down to where he wants to play, not the money.

One thing of note with trading Darvish... Hypothetically if you get a guy like Verdugo and you are confident he is ready to take the next step, then you can pass on paying Gomez $10/m year over a few years and instead shift that extra $20-$30m towards your Darvish offer.
You think Gomez gets only $10M/yr?

I like the way you are thinking.

If we can get a player like Verdugo, even if he is a 2019 guy, we'll save money on CF.

The way to structure Otani is to buyout his Arb years. Darvish went 6yr/$56M plus a $50M posting, IIRC. If you sign him for your IFA pool max available, with an understanding you'll offer say 6yr/$XXM, you buy his 3 serf years and 3 Arb years. Any team can do that, and I don't know that it would be considered a "back room" deal. That is how I expect things to go down.

Any way it goes, the next few days and the off season are going to be fun. And it will be a heart breaker for some.

$10M was the low-end for Carlos, but any higher just further proves the point -- if we can get a guy that can step in as an everyday OF on the cheap, the Gomez money can go elsewhere.

As for Otani -- everything I've read is that a multi-year deal isn't going to be within the rules -- it's a plan vanilla international contract type thing... But I could be wrong.
Mr Gigem
AG
I don't want Darvish to go to the Yankees. I'm sold on what LAD has. Give me Buehler and/or Verdugo
jtstanley4621
AG
AccidentProne said:

I don't want Darvish to go to the Yankees. I'm sold on what LAD has. Give me Buehler and/or Verdugo
Yeah it would be pretty gross to have Darvish on the Yankees. I would have no qualms about rooting for him on the Dodgers. Plus Verdugo seems like a future stud.
TXAggie2011
AG
AccidentProne said:

Yep. The Rangers hold the upper hand here. They know the Dodgers essentially "need" Darvish with Kershaw down 4-6 weeks.

If I'm the Rangers, I say "Give us what we want, or we'll go onto the next."

It's no different than how I sell season tickets. Look I know you want the seats. I've got a line of people waiting for these. You either make a decision now, or I'm offering them to the next person.

I don't know how rigid y'all are about assigned ticket representatives (you gave me that line I'd be calling asking for another rep )but at least in this instance the buyers (Dodgers and the Yankees and the rest of the league) can go get some seats, may not be as nice but also might be cheaper, from someone else.

Now, I said the other day when I was contemplating not pitching Darvish the other night that I can't know how desperate the Dodgers are to try to win a World Series...but whether they really "need" Darvish is a question. They have a huge lead, Kershaw is expected back before the playoffs. All they really have to play for in the regular season is locking up home field advantage.
jtstanley4621
AG
True, but Darvish is an easy sell. Look at what the Cleveland Indians did last season to get to the playoffs. Great pitching. It all begins with the starters. If you add Darvish, you have a really really strong rotation. Add to that their offense and bullpen, and they'd be absolutely loaded in essentially every phase.

World Series are incredibly tough to come by. The Dodgers are in a position to absolutely load up for a deep playoff run, and they have the prospects to do it too.
TXAggie2011
AG
The Dodgers are good enough to win the World Series even if Kershaw doesn't pitch again this season. .630ish win % when he's not pitching that day.

I won't be surprised if they send a very nice prospect to the Rangers but they should play tough to get a little bit here.
jtstanley4621
AG
Well if they believe that's the case, we'll just keep Darvish and work towards a wildcard. Seems fairly simple. If they think they can get along without giving themselves the best chance possible, then that's their decision! I still think we have the leverage here.
TXAggie2011
AG
In my view, the leverage points do favor the Rangers here but they don't have the Dodgers' World Series in one hand and a pistol in the other.
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

The Dodgers are good enough to win the World Series even if Kershaw doesn't pitch again this season. .630ish win % when he's not pitching that day.

I won't be surprised if they send a very nice prospect to the Rangers but they should play tough to get a little bit here.
The Dodgers are desperate to win a WS.

Their ownership group absolutely has to win. That is why they are spending the way they are.

They cannot make a deep run into the playoffs, without Kershaw.

He is their mule.

Kershaw: 21 GS, 2.04 ERA, 0.88 WHIP <- DL for 4-6 weeks
Alex Wood: 15 GS, 2.17 ERA, 0.97 WHIP
Rich Hill: 14 GS, 3.48 ERA, 1.22 WHIP
McCarthy: 16 GS, 3.84 ERA, 1.23 WHIP <- On the DL
Maeda: 16 GS, 4.09 ERA, 1.20 WHIP
Ryu: 14 GS, 4.17 ERA, 1.42 WHIP

Those are their 6 Options.

Who are your Top3-4 SPs that you will rely on in the playoffs?

Rich Hill and McCarthy are like an old Pinto. They always seem to break down when you can least afford it.

Dodgers need a SP.
TXAggie2011
AG
Well, Yu Darvish is not going to replace what Kershaw brings to that roster and it remains he could be back and healthy. (And I don't think they're much concerned over Brandon McCarthy's blister.)

The idea is not that they shouldn't trade for a starter to bolster the rotation; it's which starter and at what price. It's certainly good for the Rangers the more non-Dodgers clubs are legitimately interested in trading major talent for Darvish.
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

Well, Yu Darvish not going to replace what Kershaw brings to that roster and it remains he could be back and healthy. (And I don't think they're much concerned over Brandon McCarthy's blister.)

The idea is not that they shouldn't trade for a starter to bolster the rotation; it's which starter and at what price.
Clearly I had trouble reading what you said here:

Quote:

TXAggie2011 said:

I read that as not only are the Dodgers good enough to win the WS without Darvish or any other SP addition, but they are good enough to win the WS without Kershaw?!

Help me. Clearly my English isn't so good.
TXAggie2011
AG
Jumping from they're good enough to win the World Series with the roster they have, even without Kershaw, to they shouldn't trade for a starting pitcher was where you read too much into that post.
DallasAg 94
Down goes David Price (Bos)
mhayden
Quote:

There-in lies the issue... You are on pace to win 112 regular season games and you are going to roll with Alex Wood, Rich Hill and Brandon McCarthy in a 5 game series?

The Nationals had a similar theory of not wanting to mortgage part of the future and feeling like they were good enough in 2012.

That 98 win team went home in the NLDS and hasn't sniffed a WS since.

Dodgers had a $240+ million dollar payroll to start the year -- they aren't going to just hope for the best.
PatAg
AG
Apparently that Verdugo, the centerfielder, is on the path to being a special center fielder. We could really use that.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think, like the Nationals did in making a deadline trade in 2012 to address a glaring hole at catcher, the Dodgers would be smart to bring in another starting pitcher, especially given the uncertainty around Kershaw.

(Edit- And I'll repeat that comment was not to comment on whether they should make a move and roll with Wood, Hill, and McCarthy, but for who and at what price they'll move for.)
TheAngelFlight
Deciding whether to sit for a year's playoffs a young pitcher you have under control for another whatever years when having a marginally better record than several other NL playoff teams is a different situation in a number of aspects than situation the Dodgers are dealing with right now.
TheAngelFlight
jtstanley4621 said:

Well if they believe that's the case, we'll just keep Darvish and work towards a wildcard. Seems fairly simple. If they think they can get along without giving themselves the best chance possible, then that's their decision! I still think we have the leverage here.
Keeping Darvish and seeing what happens is not a terrible fall-back option. But I do think the Dodgers would say "yeah, okay, good luck with that wild card."
Mr Gigem
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Keeping Darvish and seeing what happens is not a terrible fall-back option. But I do think the Dodgers would say "yeah, okay, good luck with that wild card."
And to that I would say "EAD. Have fun getting bounced in the playoffs AGAIN."
Seven Costanza
AG
I haven't broken down the makeup of the potential playoff teams, but I'm surprised we haven't heard any rumors about Cashner. Even as a three month rental with poor peripherals, you would think he'd return some b-level prospect.
TV Casualty
AG
AccidentProne said:

I would be very happy if the Rangers could somehow get both.

I would absolutely hate seeing Darvish in a yankees uniform. It would be really interesting watching him in the playoffs with the Dodgers though.
Baby Billy
AG
Dat
Street_Cred_Norm
Anyone but the astros would be fine with me as long as the prospect is almost Major league ready. I would happily cheer for the Yankees if it ment they beat the astros. .....F them
MSFC Aggie
AG
Cash looking great tonight
rwhitlock3
AG
My tickets for Sunday are looking pretty decent for a little 3000 magic... unless he continues this torrid pace (9 for last 13 and hitting .370+ since All Star break)
Mr Gigem
AG
He's gonna do it on Saturday
_lefraud_
AG
Maybe the tarp'd up wall in right-center is not for a delinquent sponsor but for a Beltre 3000 tribute?
Mr Gigem
AG
It's actually covering the MLB Network sign. So take that FWIW
rwhitlock3
AG
AccidentProne said:

He's gonna do it on Saturday

I sure hope so!
Mr. White
Have a conversation with your gut and then vote with a star:

Are the next three days:
Mr. White
End of an era (everyone goes)
Mr. White
Tune-up (Darvish and one other gone)
First Page Last Page
Page 247 of 344

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.