The Diamondbacks Suck Ass

1,970 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Lost
Mort Rainey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2017/01/05/bickley-diamondbacks-fighting-losing-battle-over-chase-field/96223400/

You got to be a real bunch of arrogant POS to pull this
KT 90
AG
Not being familiar with the situation, my first question would be how serious are these structural issues and are they really a threat to fan safety? Or is that being overblown as an excuse to try to get a new stadium.

But yeah, the teams holding a gun to their local communities heads when they want a new stadium (to make more money) is getting old. But it's not going away, here to stay unfortunately.

TXAggie2011
AG
Yeah, hard to come to conclusions not knowing the actual condition of the stadium.

Trying to get the city to build a better, flashier stadium isn't new. The Rangers just pulled half a billion from Arlington to get out a lease early and build a new park because the Rangers believe they can charge a little more and sell some more tickets with a retractable roof and more fancy club seating.

It's not going away in the foreseeable future. The teams always find a place willing to pay up. Always.
Sapper Redux
I was there years ago, and its definitely not the best stadium experience I've ever had. It's cavernous, fans seem removed from the action, and it lacked personality. But it was a fine facility as far as I could see. Certainly not a dump or a hazard. But then, I didn't spend time looking at the upper deck supports, either.
Mort Rainey
Dr. Watson said:

I was there years ago, and its definitely not the best stadium experience I've ever had. It's cavernous, fans seem removed from the action, and it lacked personality. But it was a fine facility as far as I could see. Certainly not a dump or a hazard. But then, I didn't spend time looking at the upper deck supports, either.
Definitely not a dump, but it feels like they're playing in a Costco warehouse
Frok
AG
20 years old is now time to replace for big league stadiums. There is no way that stadium is structurally unsound. They are just like the Rangers, they regret the stadium they build 19 years ago.

I wonder when Jim Crane will start the process to replace Minute Maid.

W
AG
back in the 90's many folks (including myself) wondered how long these new stadiums would last. The original plan back then was 30 years.

the Braves scrapped Turner Field after 20 seasons I believe. The Rangers may be next. And then the Diamondbacks.

I think fewer and fewer cities will let themselves be held hostage to sports franchises like they did back in the 80's and 90's
KT 90
AG
W said:

I think fewer and fewer cities will let themselves be held hostage to sports franchises like they did back in the 80's and 90's

Will be interesting to watch. San Diego didn't cave and now they have lost their NFL team.

Al Bula
AG
I wonder what the Astros will do in a few years when MMP turns 20. The reason I bring up Houston is because the city and TXDoT want to move I45 east to run alongside I69 in the near future. If you know Houston, I69 runs parallel to MMP. That will certainly happen by the time MMP turns 20. Will the Astros move? Attendance in a construction zone will suck badly. And this project will probably take 10 years.

The city wants to make a land grab for the area I45 currently wraps around the southwest portion of Downtown Houston.

This article is behind a paywall but you can google the title of the article and get the full text.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/amp/Massive-I-45-project-would-remove-Pierce-6217572.php
BarryProfit
I doubt the try to get a new park. MMP isn't big and cavernous like many of the other parks that are being replaced, it's basically all built right on top of the field. It's fairly intimate for a park it's size, and has plenty of existing club level space. I'd be surprised, esp since they are putting so much money into the new CF.
WES2006AG
AG
San Diego was the most recent test of public funding for stadiums, and San Diego lost.

However, I have to believe that as the values of these franchises, in all major sports, continue to skyrocket the public will have less of an appetite for the huge cash grabs.
Clavell
AG
Wow, I missed that proposed change of I45. Can see the logic, but getting there will be a mess. Plus most exiting and entering downtown from east side seems could bring new problems.
94chem
Remember, Arizona is the team that deliberately drafted an injured pitcher (A&M's Barrett Loux) 6th overall, so that when he failed his physical, they wouldn't have to pay slot money for that season. Cheapskate move.
W
AG
some folks might say that San Diego won.

the city will not be saddled with additional debt for the next 10 to 20 years
WES2006AG
AG
W said:

I agree. I am glad that they stuck to their guns. It is time for sports franchises to pay for their own stadiums. Unfortunately, I might be singing a different tune if it were my Rockets or Astros that were threatening to leave.
Buck Compton
AG
WES2006AG said:

W said:

I agree. I am glad that they stuck to their guns. It is time for sports franchises to pay for their own stadiums. Unfortunately, I might be singing a different tune if it were my Rockets or Astros that were threatening to leave.
As much as I love my Astros, the city stuck with them through the **** years as they re-built. They can go suck a big old bag of ***** if they're asking for that type of money anytime soon.

Minute Maid is still great. Somehow Boston and Chicago have gone this long without changing (I know, different story) but still... Minute Maid is in a great location and the state can go eff themselves with that I-45 plan.
WoMD
This is crazy. Every time I go to at&t park it still feels like a brand new stadium. It's hard to believe that it's 17 years old (same as ol Enron field). I can see this stadium being here for a lifetime.

Maybe teams will be smarter with their stadium decisions going forward, as there are plenty that I see being around for a long long time. It's like replacing a car every 3 years because you get bored with it.
The Lost
WoMD said:

This is crazy. Every time I go to at&t park it still feels like a brand new stadium. It's hard to believe that it's 17 years old (same as ol Enron field). I can see this stadium being here for a lifetime.

Maybe teams will be smarter with their stadium decisions going forward, as there are plenty that I see being around for a long long time. It's like replacing a car every 3 years because you get bored with it.

Agreed, if they'd update the video boards at coors field here in Denver it'd be the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.