Jose Fernandez gone

7,220 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CorpsAg11
LihaiAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Passed away in a boating accident last night. Just terrible
LeFraud
Wow
Know Your Enemy
Bunk Moreland
3am and the boat crashed into the jetties.

Saw a local news report that shows the boat vertical almost. They must have nailed it.
Ag2012
AG
Absolutely awful. T&Ps for all involved.
Aggie95
AG
was scheduled to pitch today....game cancelled. very sad.
AustinCountyAg
Wtf were they doing out at 3am? I'd be willing to bet they were hammered drunk..... Regardless it is very sad and a terrible way to go
Bunk Moreland
quote:
was scheduled to pitch today....game cancelled. very sad.

His start had gotten pushed to Monday
Not a Bot
HossAg
Ervin Burrell
AG
Jesus...terrible headline to wake up to.
AnotherAg1
AG
Just heard this on the radio. Talented guy with very interesting background. Tragic.
Texafret
This is sooo crazy! Kid was 24 yrs old and had all the makings of being a cy young contender for years to come. It's always hard to lose a young man that was still growing and from all accounts seemed like a likeable guy. Puts a lot of things in perspective and we should all enjoy every day we get. Terrible terrible news. Prayers for the young man and his family
DannyDuberstein
AG
Nothing good happens after midnight, especially on a boat.

My cousin was in a boating accident at 1am about a month ago. Of the 3 guys on the boat, one is dead, one has a brain injury ( cousin) from his heart stopping several times, and the boat driver was thrown in jail for being intoxicated. My cousin is a dentist with one kid in college and one in HS, and now his ability to work again is a big question mark. His brother is keeping the practice going, but we'll see.

Be smart out there, folks. Life can be ruined in a moment.
Seven Costanza
AG
Wow, that's terrible.
ORAggieFan
So sad.
mike_ags_fan12
Heartbreaking
Sex Panther
AG
Just terrible... One of the absolute best pitchers in the game
RadAg14
AG
He had a baby on the way too. Reat in Peace
thirty-two
AG
Also saw that he and his girlfriend were expecting a child.
AnotherAg1
AG
Used to watch the Marlin's games on FOX Sports Florida (before my cable company cut the channel off), Fernandez's mother and family used to attend every home game that he pitched and they would always put the camera on them (her) several times during the game. She was obviously very proud of her son (not to mention the absolute Hell they went through escaping from Cuba to the US). Bet she is devastated beyond belief.
Olsen
AG
T&P
. . .

From the PC:
At 3:15am, CoastGuard on patrol noticed a vessel upside down on north side jetty. Found 3 males dead on scene. 32 foot SeaVee upside down. 2 under the vessel, 1 in water.

No indication of alcohol or drugs(waiting on ME)
Speed was a factor
None were wearing life vests
Not Jose's boat (have stopped the boat before & is familiar with the area)

Rest in peace Jose Fernandez.
Sex Panther
AG
Awful...
mhayden
Something about boat accidents like that... Seems far more terrifying than any car accident.
BobOliver2006
AG
Thumbs down to the ESPN.com top story being live updates from Vikings/Panthers instead of this.
HossAg
AG
They've given Hernandez a ton of attention. Don't act like they aren't giving him enough respect and coverage.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
They've given Hernandez a ton of attention. Don't act like they aren't giving him enough respect and coverage.

Agree. Dedicated a ton of coverage to him on espn (tv) today
BobOliver2006
AG
I haven't paid attention to stuff at all today and saw this for the first time when i posted. I looked at ESPN, SI, Bleacher Report, and even the non-sports news media. every single one still had this story #1 except ESPN who had moved on to random NFL. I just thought that was ****ed up. Sorry i got butthurt about that.
Kampfers
AG
Such a sad story. Didn't believe what I heard when I turned the tv on. Really shocking.

We were robbed as fans as well, kid had the chance to legit be one of the best rhp ever
W
AG
very, very sad news.

I wonder if the Marlins' cancelling the rest of their remaining games is under consideration. However I noticed that their final 2 series are against teams in the pennant / wildcard race
Cheo
Wow, it was hard for me to fight the tears after seeing the coverage today. Jose Fernandez was an excellent pitcher, with an immense potential. He didn't reach his prime but was dominant at such a young age. Stats aside, this guy came from humble roots. He escaped Cuba three times. He was living the American dream, but most of all, living his dream to be a professional baseball player. Energetic, hard working, family first guy, and passionate about the game that we love watching.

It's a huge loss for the Cuban community in Miami, baseball fans across the country and the world and just sports fans in general. Taken too soon wow.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Something about boat accidents like that... Seems far more terrifying than any car accident.

And for good reason. Boating accidents almost never end well. People can roll their cars 10 times and walk away.

As a boat owner I have for sure been a bit risky here and there, but always with correct safety precautions ready. If you hit structure, everyone in your boat will go flying.

I've gone out at night, and it's damn scary to trust your instruments and lights, even in areas you've driven a million times. The only time I go out at night these days is to just troll channels or coves at basically zero speed and hang out on the water.

Given the images of that boat, they hit the jetties hard. I'm sure all 3 immediately were ejected and landed on the rocks.

Just so incredibly sad.
ce1994
AG
Pending the results of the toxicology report they believe that alcohol/drugs were not involved in the accident. It was driving too fast at night.

LeFraud
Marlins will retire the #16 after tonight's game, where all the players will be wearing #16. Awesome, classy move.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.