Jose Fernandez gone

7,238 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CorpsAg11
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dee Gordon just hit a HR in the first AB. Was bawling as he walked off the field.

And in a somewhat unrelated note there's some dust in my eyes right now
Sex Panther
AG
This is amazing...

Bunk Moreland
Yeah. Watched the pre game videos and that hr while on the throne and starting crying.

And another thing... This season started with "make baseball fun again" debates and Harper/Bautista flipping bats etc. And while I like those guys and this isn't meant to disparage them...but that entire thing rings so hollow.

The season will end with the death of the man who truly had more fun playing baseball than anyone in the majors.

Getting every head start in the world from private coaches and tournament teams and nutritionists at the age of 7 is great, but this is a guy who overcame so much just to get a chance to live his dream, and by 24 was one of the best at his craft.

Yesterday I seemed numb. Today it's more emotional.
Sex Panther
AG
This is such a crushing blow for an already struggling franchise... I almost don't see how they recover. This guy was Kershaw level good. And the fact that he was Cuban in Miami... just devastating.

And you are right about the personality. I know people that know him, and truthfully, a lot of American players aren't really crazy about the Latin guys, but Jose was very well liked by everyone.
Sex Panther
AG
Dee Gordon has been in the league for 6 seasons...

That is his 9th career home run
Psych
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/miami-marlins-honor-jose-fernandez-before-monday-night-s-game-with-special-tribute-092616.amp.html?client=safari
nickstro66
AG
After the game the Mets went onto the field and hugged the Marlins players

PatAg
AG
No need to overstate it. He sure got in a lot of altercations if he was well loved by everyone. Dude was good at baseball, and its always sad when a young person dies.
Bunk Moreland
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/27/jose-fernandez-boat-crash-last-evening-miami-marlins/91156262/

Looks like the boat was in fact owned by Fernandez(earlier reports said it wasn't).

Sounds like an emotional decision after an argument to go get on a boat late at night. Just not smart. So sad.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
No need to overstate it. He sure got in a lot of altercations if he was well loved by everyone. Dude was good at baseball, and its always sad when a young person dies.

Fernandez was a fiery pitcher. He wore his emotions on his sleeves. That and being liked or disliked aren't always related.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Are you mostly referencing the stuff with the Braves?

The Braves had a stupid obsession with Fernandez, going back to when, shocking, a mediocre American pitcher got mad at rookie Fernandez for watching his first home run leave the ballpark.

2 weeks later Carlos Gomez trolled the **** out the Braves, flipped his bat after a home run, and even more shocking, the Braves again decided to clear the bench.

Brian McCann and the Braves were and are Grade A poosays. I don't put any of it on Fernandez.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

Fernandez was a fiery pitcher. He wore his emotions on his sleeves. That and being liked or disliked aren't always related.
I remember he and Jayson Werth got in a staredown after Fernandez hit Werth in the elbow. A few minutes later the guys were chatting and laughing a bit about it and it was over.

Folks liked him, they didn't have an actual problem with him. Except maybe the Braves. They were obsessed.
ce1994
AG
A report by the Miami Herald is stating alcohol was involved. All three of them smelled strongly of alcohol. Thank goodness they did not kill anyone else with their reckless behavior. Report is also stating the families are going to file a wrongful death civil suit against Fernandez. If all three were liquored up it is hard for me to imagine that would have legs.

God bless their departed souls.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Nothing I have seen says they have the slightest clue who was actually driving the boat. Not sure how you can sue on that but I suppose they're going to try.
AnotherAg1
AG
Report is also stating the families are going to file a wrongful death civil suit against Fernandez. If all three were liquored up it is hard for me to imagine that would have legs.

That's just dumb. Wasn't even Fernandez's boat. How in the world could they sue him just because he was on the boat?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Because a lawyer showed up and convinced them to go after the one with money.
Ag_07
AG
But it was his boat wasn't it?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Ag_07 said:

But it was his boat wasn't it?

Not sure that matters to some ambulance chasing attorney. Probably hoping the estate just pays them off to go away. And that's the extra ****ty part. Going after his relatives essentially because there was money.
Mr Gigem
AG
Alcohol and cocaine found in Fernandez's blood during autopsy
Mozart Paintings
AG
AccidentProne said:

Shocker
Ag_07
AG
Can't say I'm surprised but it's a bit disappointing to hear about the coke.

He was widely known as a great guy and now he's being somewhat dragged through the mud with the more info we get.

Just hate it for him and his family that now people will key in on the drugs and alcohol in his system. Sad all around.
PatAg
AG
I think we all assumed alcohol.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Maybe I'm a cold ass, but I don't see this is being "dragged" through anything. Facts are facts.

And whether he was actually driving or not, being in that condition and owning the boat is going to be a major problemo for his estate. He/his estate will be held responsible regardless.
KT 90
AG
Did they release the info on the other passengers? If there were all liquored and coke'd up, doesn't really matter who was driving. They should tell the lawyers to shove it if that is the case.

DannyDuberstein
AG
when you own the boat, you are screwed. Or in this case, the estate/family is. Responsible for it either way.
KT 90
AG
Here is the answer:

Quote:

The medical examiner found .147 percent alcohol in [Fernandez's] blood -- above the state's .08 percent limit for drunk driving, the report says.
The examiner also detected cocaine: .126 mg/L, according to the report.
The medical examiner found that all three men died from blunt force trauma to the head and torso, resulting from the crash. Both Rivero and Macias also had alcohol in their systems, and Rivero also tested positive for cocaine.
The medical examiner report said Rivero also had cocaine in his system with a blood alcohol content of .065. Macias had a BAC of .044 but did not have any illegal drugs in his system. Neither was legally drunk. A receipt for the alcohol was found at the crash site.
Mr Gigem
AG
Yep. Probably won't be any criminal charges, but Doesn't it become a civil case at that point? The estate will probably be tried for gross negligence
ce1994
AG
They know Fernandez was not driving. He was on the phone with someone andgiving verbal directions tom the driver.

BMX Bandit
AccidentProne said:

Yep. Probably won't be any criminal charges, but Doesn't it become a civil case at that point? The estate will probably be tried for gross negligence

probably no criminal charges against the dead guy? good call.
94chem
Quote:

Being the next Dwight Gooden seems like a good outcome now.
BMX Bandit
investigation shows Fernandez was driving the boat

CorpsAg11
AG
Yea. Don't feel sorry for him any more. Idiot.

Glad it was only a 1-vehicle accident.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.