Umpiring Question

3,042 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CampingAg
CampingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last year or so, I've been kicking the tires on starting umpiring. I have a small amount of experience doing little league, but think it would fun to work up to JV/Varsity games, and make some extra money on the side - always thought it would be something I'd enjoy. I've filled out the application to join TASO, but haven't reached out or contacted anyone else yet.

Any advice from current/former umps? If it's any help, I'm located in Fort Worth, and chose Alliance as my home chapter. Thanks in advance.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
I started doing select 12-16U games, the parents and coaches are too big a pita to continue.

It was good money in the summers and you got to watch baseball.
aTm2004
AG
Nothing really to add other than you need to have a good called strike 3 dance.
PatAg
AG
I'd suggest also submitting a recording of you calling out "Hooooot Doooooogs" and "ice cold beer here!"

Just give yourself an extra dimension to your application. Multiple threat umpire.
CampingAg
AG
agent-maroon
AG

Leslie Nielsen's character Lt. Drebin's turn as an umpire is still one of my favorite movie segments of all time
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Clown_World
If you have an IQ above room temperature, you will be better than most of the Alliance chapter
SilverTongueDevil
I've been a sports official going on 15 years. Ive don't basketball, football, baseball/softball.

They all have their pros/cons. I have scaled back considerably the last few years due to my full time job obligations. I presently just do slow pitch softball. About the easiest gig out there and I have a lot of fun with the players as I did play for many years myself. I work when I want to and its really not like work at all.

The UIL and select is great if you are able to commit the time to it but it is an obligation that cuts into a lot of your personal/family time.
WES2006AG
AG
quote:
The last year or so, I've been kicking the tires on starting umpiring. I have a small amount of experience doing little league, but think it would fun to work up to JV/Varsity games, and make some extra money on the side - always thought it would be something I'd enjoy. I've filled out the application to join TASO, but haven't reached out or contacted anyone else yet.

Any advice from current/former umps? If it's any help, I'm located in Fort Worth, and chose Alliance as my home chapter. Thanks in advance.

Where are you located? I umpire HS baseball in Houston and can put you in touch with who you need to talk to.
CampingAg
AG
Fort Worth. Selected Alliance as my home chapter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.