MLB teams that should relocate and where they should go

11,430 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jkag89
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With all of the NFL moves, thought it would be fun to discuss which MLB teams should be moved and where they would fit in:

Teams to relocate :
Oakland As
Toronto Blue Jays
Tampa Bay Rays
Washington Nationals

Cities that could sustain an MLB team:
New Orleans
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Indianapolis
Salt Lake city

Those are two AL and two NL teams.

I'd move the As to San Antonio and keep them in the same division.

Move the Rays to New Orleans

Move the Nationals to either SLC or OKC

Move the Blue Jays to Indianapolis

Thoughts?
BMX Bandit
Rays & A's to San Antonio?

And why on earth move the Jays & Nationals?
Capt_Crunch 14
AG
Jays and Nats don't make sense? Why move them at all?

A's are much more likely to move to Portland than San Antonio if we're being realistic about cities that want a major league team. San Antonio could handle a MLB team but doubt Texas and Houston want to split up the state 3 ways. The Rays could move anywhere but Montreal would make a big push to get a team back if it became a real option.
Capt_Crunch 14
AG
Also how many cities have a triple A team and a major league team in close proximity? I just wonder how the triple A squads in OKC, NO, and Indianapolis would affect the decision of the clubs to move, or the city to approve a stadium.
bjraggie10
AG
As big as baseball is in the South, I don't think New Orleans could support a MLB team. The Pelicans are toward the bottom of the NBA attendance rankings, and they don't seem to garner the loyalty of the local fan base as much as the Saints. I envision it would go similarly for a MLB team in NOLA.

Also, I can't understand why you would move Toronto/Washington.
BassCowboy33
Washington has a crazy fan base. Not sure why they move. Jays fans are fickle, but solid.

The Marlins need to leave, but that's a ways off with that new, terrible park that they play in.

Putting a baseball team in San Antonio would have the same problem as an NFL team. The Texas teams, especially the Rangers and Cowboys, have giant fan bases in San Antonio and I doubt they'd be up for losing it.
Old Buffalo
AG
Nashville
Charlotte
Salt Lake City
Portland
Montreal

Those are the locations I would think would be baseball locations next. Toronto and Washington aren't moving.
W
AG
I would prefer contraction
jja79
AG
This
E
AG
The A's to SLC and Rays to NOLA would be pretty dope
TexAgs1992
quote:
As big as baseball is in the South, I don't think New Orleans could support a MLB team. The Pelicans are toward the bottom of the NBA attendance rankings, and they don't seem to garner the loyalty of the local fan base as much as the Saints. I envision it would go similarly for a MLB team in NOLA.

This. I know a couple of folks in New Orleans who make 12-13 LSU games a year. College baseball dominates the state of Louisiana and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I am more so in favor of contraction over relocation, but I do think San Antonio, OKC and either Nashville or Charlotte might make sense. SLC is a cool idea, but I can't see how they sustain a team. I think Indy is just too close to Chicago, Cincy, Detroit, Cleveland and St. Louis and people there in the midwest are very loyal. Hard time seeing them embracing a new team.

The Rays obviously need to go. I feel like Tampa should be a thriving area for baseball, but it isn't. The A's need to go as well.

Maybe go A's to OKC and Rays to Nashville or Charlotte.

After this, do a complete realignment of divisions.
LeFraud
Louisville
Frok
AG
Move the Rangers to Dallas
BMX Bandit
quote:
quote:

This. I know a couple of folks in New Orleans who make 12-13 LSU games a year. College baseball dominates the state of Louisiana and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't see this as a reason that Nola could not support a team. (I don't think they could, just see this as an odd reason to say they can't)

Lots of people from Dallas & Houston go to that many aggie baseball games too
BassCowboy33
quote:
I am more so in favor of contraction over relocation, but I do think San Antonio, OKC and either Nashville or Charlotte might make sense. SLC is a cool idea, but I can't see how they sustain a team. I think Indy is just too close to Chicago, Cincy, Detroit, Cleveland and St. Louis and people there in the midwest are very loyal. Hard time seeing them embracing a new team.

The Rays obviously need to go. I feel like Tampa should be a thriving area for baseball, but it isn't. The A's need to go as well.

Maybe go A's to OKC and Rays to Nashville or Charlotte.

After this, do a complete realignment of divisions.

Part of the Rays issue is stadium location. Having done lots of work in the Tampa area, having the stadium in St. Pete is terrible. The traffic and commute to the game is vicious for most living in the area and is the biggest reason I keep hearing about for why people don't go to the games.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
Do you/they understand that college ball ends in May? MLB would extend the season until September? Yeah, no room for both....

College baseball isn't college football.

/rolls eyes
Say Chowdah
AG
Tampa Bay to Havana.
Miami to Jacksonville.
txagman1998
AG
Toronto and Washington aren't going anywhere.
A's new stadium deal happens in Oakland or San Jose (Oakland likely if Raiders leave).
Rays move to Montreal, become Expos, and move to the National League.
Expansion teams in Las Vegas and Nashville are both placed in the American League.

Realigned Divisions:
AL West - Las Vegas, LA Angels, Oakland, Seattle
AL Central - Chicago White Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota
AL East - Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Toronto
AL South - Houston, Kansas City, Nashville, Texas

NL West - Arizona, LA Dodgers, San Diego, San Francisco
NL Central - Chicago Cubs, Colorado, Milwaukee, St. Louis
NL East - Montreal, NY Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
NL South - Atlanta, Cincinnati, Florida, Washington

162 game schedule:
28 games against 3 division opponents - 84 games
6 games against 12 division opponents - 72 games
6 games against 1 permanent interleague opponent - 6 games

Permanent interleague opponents:
Las Vegas - Arizona, LA Angels - LA Dodgers, Oakland - San Francisco, Seattle - San Diego, Chicago White Sox - Chicago Cubs, Cleveland - Cincinnati, Detroit - Pittsburgh, Minnesota - Milwaukee, Baltimore - Washington, Boston - Philadelphia, NY Yankees - NY Mets, Toronto - Montreal, Houston - Atlanta, Kansas City - St. Louis, Nashville - Florida, Texas - Colorado

Playoff format:
4 division winners, 2 wild cards per league
Top 2 division winners in each league get first round bye
First round best of 5, Second round best of 5, LCS best of 7, World Series best of 7
League All-Star game winner gets home field advantage in World Series

Scheduling:
4 league days during the year for doubleheaders to accommodate longer playoffs
All teams host 2 doubleheaders, travel for 2 doubleheaders
3 of the 4 league doubleheader days on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day
Say Chowdah
AG
Not bad.

But I don't see the league removing the AL from the entire Southeast. Charlotte, NC instead of Nashville? Maybe Jacksonville?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't see this as a reason that Nola could not support a team. (I don't think they could, just see this as an odd reason to say they can't)

Lots of people from Dallas & Houston go to that many aggie baseball games too
I don't think its the reason why a team would struggle in New Orleans---bigger problems there including that its not a particularly large metro area nor is its population one you'd think would flock to MLB games---but it is certainly a check against a MLB team in New Orleans.

There are "pro sports" cities in this country--- and by that I'm mostly referring to northern cities with older pro franchises--- and teams that are not in those cities, with a handful of exceptions, often struggle to draw fans and attention when they're not playing well.

New Orleans and Louisiana will never be a pro sports city and pro sports state and I think it would be a similarly hard, upward fight that the NBA has been fighting for some time now.
miller0926
AG
Not bad. I prefer they keep it at 30 and the number of playoff teams down. However, if they add 2, this would be my 32 team league. Keep the same 30, add teams in Charlotte and Nashville.

AL West: LA Angels, Oakland, Seattle, Arizona
AL North/Central: Chicago White Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota
AL East: Baltimore, Boston, Toronto, New York Yankees
AL South: Houston, Texas, Kansas City, Tampa Bay

NL West: LA Dodgers, San Francisco, San Diego, Colorado
NL North/Central: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, St. Louis
NL East: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, New York Mets
NL South: Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami

142 game schedule:
18 against 3 division opponents: 54 games (9 home, 9 away against each)
6 against 12 league opponents: 72 games (3 home, 3 away against each)
4 against 4 interleague opponents: 16 games (2 home, 2 away against each)

No permanent interleague rivals

Playoff format:
Just like football
Wild card round best of 3, DS best of 5, CS best of 7, WS best of 7
Whichever league had the better interleague record during the season gets home field advantage for WS

Both leagues get a DH or make the pitcher bat.
txagman1998
AG
That works too. Just note that Tampa is having stadium issues and is a candidate to move. Should that happen, Montreal is currently destination number one. I know the Expos left long ago, but evidently, there has been a renassiance of sorts for baseball in Montreal. Chances are pretty good at the moment that they could get a stadium built in Montreal for an MLB team. Of course, if that happens, there is an easy fix to your proposed divisions. Montreal goes to the NL East, Washington to the NL South, and Nashville flips from the NL South to AL South.

If Tampa somehow gets a stadium deal done to keep the Rays, then Montreal likely gets an expansion team over Charlotte. In that scenario, Montreal goes to the NL East and Washington goes to the NL South.

Lastly, if the regular season were cut, it would be by just a few games at most. No way the owners would allow a 20 game reduction in schedule, which would equal 10 fewer home games. The revenue loss would be far too much.
CampingAg
AG
Didn't Montreal draw something like 150k over three spring games recently?
txagman1998
AG
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/blue-jays-exhibition-games-in-montreal-attract-96-000-baseball-hungry-fans-1.2312237

96,000 for two games between the Jays and Reds last year at the end of spring training. Games were played at Olympic Stadium. Jays and Red Sox are scheduled to play two exhibition games in Montreal at the end of spring training this year.
The Lost
quote:
Toronto and Washington aren't going anywhere.
A's new stadium deal happens in Oakland or San Jose (Oakland likely if Raiders leave).
Rays move to Montreal, become Expos, and move to the National League.
Expansion teams in Las Vegas and Nashville are both placed in the American League.

Realigned Divisions:
AL West - Las Vegas, LA Angels, Oakland, Seattle
AL Central - Chicago White Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota
AL East - Baltimore, Boston, NY Yankees, Toronto
AL South - Houston, Kansas City, Nashville, Texas

NL West - Arizona, LA Dodgers, San Diego, San Francisco
NL Central - Chicago Cubs, Colorado, Milwaukee, St. Louis
NL East - Montreal, NY Mets, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
NL South - Atlanta, Cincinnati, Florida, Washington

162 game schedule:
28 games against 3 division opponents - 84 games
6 games against 12 division opponents - 72 games
6 games against 1 permanent interleague opponent - 6 games

Permanent interleague opponents:
Las Vegas - Arizona, LA Angels - LA Dodgers, Oakland - San Francisco, Seattle - San Diego, Chicago White Sox - Chicago Cubs, Cleveland - Cincinnati, Detroit - Pittsburgh, Minnesota - Milwaukee, Baltimore - Washington, Boston - Philadelphia, NY Yankees - NY Mets, Toronto - Montreal, Houston - Atlanta, Kansas City - St. Louis, Nashville - Florida, Texas - Colorado

Playoff format:
4 division winners, 2 wild cards per league
Top 2 division winners in each league get first round bye
First round best of 5, Second round best of 5, LCS best of 7, World Series best of 7
League All-Star game winner gets home field advantage in World Series

Scheduling:
4 league days during the year for doubleheaders to accommodate longer playoffs
All teams host 2 doubleheaders, travel for 2 doubleheaders
3 of the 4 league doubleheader days on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day

I don't like the idea of a bye for teams and they wouldn't either since I'm pretty sur history shows teams with a longer layoff typically perform worse. This isn't football where an extra week of rest is useful.

Otherwise this seems awesome.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Tampa Bay Rays to Tampa.
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
Also how many cities have a triple A team and a major league team in close proximity?

It's not uncommon at all... Tacoma, Gwinnett, and Pawtucket are all within 50 mi of MLB.
there's at least 10 AAA teams within 100 mi of a MLB city.
94chem
quote:
Washington has a crazy fan base. Not sure why they move.

Trivia: What do the Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins have in common?
jkag89
quote:
quote:

Doesn't mean there isn't a strong fan base today.
The Lost
quote:
quote:
quote:

Doesn't mean there isn't a strong fan base today.
Along with a nice, pretty new stadium... Which is something Oakland/Tampa don't have.
MaroonStain
AG
Need to remove two teams...Tampa Rays and Florida Marlins...both terrible ideas to begin with.
Schrute
Found a place for the Yankees to move. The Hell Yankees!

cr06gis
AG
I think OKC could support an MLB team, but I would hate to lose a pretty good Rangers market like that. Same goes for SA/Austin, though it is a shared market with the Astros.

Charlotte is the largest metro area in the US without an MLB team.
LeonardSkinner
Just throwing crap at the walls...

1. Nobody's moving a MLB team to Jacksonville.

1b. MLB teams are pretty much okay where they're at.

2. Contraction is probably better than anything else--one of the Florida teams (preferably Miami), and maybe Arizona?

3. Back to four sets of 7 teams (two per league)
14 games vs division opponents (84)
8 games vs league opponents (56)
6 games vs permanent cross-league rival (6)
6 games vs rotating cross league team A (6)
6 games vs rotating cross league team B (6)
158 game schedule

4. Playoffs
First place in each division gets a bye
Second place hosts the third place team of the other division in a short series (3 or 5 games)
Division winners host the wild card winners in the DCS.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.