*****Official 2015 Texas Rangers Thread*****

1,170,880 Views | 13928 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Joe Cole
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wangus12
AG
quote:
But I guess that is what happens when you have 1 losing season and people get scared off. On the other hand, that presents an amazing opportunity for people to pick up those premium seats they have always wanted.

Bingo. I'll be honest and say that I'm an Astros fan, but living in Dallas, I like going to the Ballpark every chance I can get. Unfortunately its still a decent drive out and I don't really budget for baseball games, so I only make it out a couple times. With the team playing poorly, I can find ridiculously cheap tickets for nearly anywhere in the park and I love it.
AggieDPT
AG
Gonna be some cheap tickets all summer that's for sure.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Gonna be some cheap tickets all summer that's for sure.
There are some good promotions to take advantage of!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't need a promotion when they are dirt cheap on stubhub. Took the family out a few times last summer and sat behind the Rangers dugout for cheap cheap cheap.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'd be interested to know what you paid for those. Seats like that are typically reserved for full season ticket holders who get 32% off gate prices, and even more off for premier games. I'd be willing to bet they lost quite a bit of money on that deal.

Regardless, I'm glad you got to experience some great seats with your family
DannyDuberstein
AG
It was about $75-80 total/all-in for 4 tickets each time. Pretty sure section 33 for one and 34 the other time. Both around 15-20 rows up. There were names on the seats each time, so had to be full season tiicketholders. i'm guessing those are the $92/ea at the gate price? So after the discount you mention, I'd estimate they were losing about $40-45 per ticket?

Definitely had a good time. We live in north Plano so we attend a lot of roughriders games (2 elementary age kids). We always try to mix in a few Ranger games though. Last year turned into taking in Rangers games at roughriders prices.
mhayden
"Gate prices" are kind of a thing of the past for prime seats with Stubhub and the like.

Sure you'll still get some people who walkup to the box office and buy whatever "best available" is, but for the most part people who want good seats will look on the secondary sites because it's easier to pick your seats and for non-prime team/games, usually under box office price.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Don't need a promotion when they are dirt cheap on stubhub. Took the family out a few times last summer and sat behind the Rangers dugout for cheap cheap cheap.
I know, but stuff like garden gnomes helps me get my wife excited about going. :-)
DannyDuberstein
AG
Good point.

And who couldn't use an Elvis Andrus garden gnome? It can play the same role in your yard that he does in the Rangers infield and lineup - useless.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Good point.

And who couldn't use an Elvis Andrus garden gnome? It can play the same role in your yard that he does in the Rangers infield and lineup - useless.
laugh/cry
mhayden
quote:
Good point.

It's OK Danny, next year that gnome will "re-dedicate itself" and be "in the best shape of it's life".

Nothing to worry about.
DannyDuberstein
AG
In the meantime, I'll dream of finding a neighbor that might be dumb enough to take it.
Kyle98
AG
If it scares the neighbor's cat away, I'll be happy, and I'll put 100 of them out there! That damn thing loves to hang out in our driveway and flower beds, taunting my dog, who barks away madly at it from the front door.

I hate that cat...
Kyle98
AG
I wonder if the Holland and Darvish gnomes are just going to have their arms fall off right after you take them out of the box.
AggieDPT
AG
Moreland out with elbow soreness. If you took Fielder out of the lineup, we would have a total of 0 players hitting at least .190
toucan82
apparently nelson cruz is starting in RF tonight

too angry to make a joke
COOL LASER FALCON
The greatest trick the DH Nellie Cruz ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Mr Gigem
AG
Lol I love how much Fielder is going oppo.
Mr Gigem
AG
Our baserunning looks like the Aggie baserunning from last season
DannyDuberstein
AG
Looks like Elvis has been giving baserunning lessons
Mr Gigem
AG
If Elvis doesn't get it together this series, he should be sent down, IMO. He has zero confidence right now
AggieDPT
AG
It'll be interesting to see if they actually would ever send him down.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Choo
Baby Billy
AG
Feliz is so bad. No breaking ball whatsoever

But what an arm. Leisurely tossing the ball up there at 93 mph.
DallasAg 94
Hey CJ... most of my ex-girlfriends that asked me to call them, were not happy. Thing is... after 4 years, most of them have gotten over it. You ought to do the same. Certainly once either of us signed a legal document of extended commitment... we moved on.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20150417-ex-rangers-pitcher-c.j.-wilson-kinsler-didnt-leave-happy-i-didnt-leave-happy-napoli-didnt-leave-happy.ece
mhayden
Eh, sounds like they asked for the interview and asked the questions... More akin to you calling your ex-girlfriend and asking her to talk and then telling all your friends how crazy she is... Yeah, but why'd you call her in the first place?

As far as what was said, I'd say it's probably pretty much true - it's been fairly obvious JD is not very well liked around the league. I'm certainly not in the "Nolan Camp", but obviously there were some significant personality clashes there as well.

JD is a sharp guy but he's been a very mediocre GM since 2012. Much of that due to just plain bad luck, but it's still under his watch.

Mind you a GM or a front office that parts ways with a player in not-so-great terms isn't exactly a strange thing in the MLB (or any professional sport)... CJ just got done being very open about how bad the front office has been in Anaheim regarding the treatment of Hamilton.
PatAg
AG
I'm not willing to call anyone who has lost some of their fervor after last year bandwagon. It's not like we were just Bad, we lost almost an entire starting lineup to injuries, and most of that isn't much better to start this year.
Hamburger Dan
If CJ Wilson isn't the biggest, whiniest, ***** in the league - he's gotta be in the top five. I'm no fan of JD, but I do remember Wilson throwing his skirt up on way too many occasions. If Wilson was as good as HE thought he is, he would be a perennial All Star.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are reporters. As long as he keeps giving teenage drama queen answers, they are going to keep asking the questions. If he eventually decides to take the mature professional route at some point and starts giving "the past is the past, i've moved on" when the topic is raised, they'll move on and on there will be no story. but he's immature and can't do that.
DallasAg 94
quote:
They are reporters. As long as he keeps giving teenage drama queen answers, they are going to keep asking the questions. If he eventually decides to take the mature professional route at some point and starts giving "the past is the past, i've moved on" when the topic is raised, they'll move on and on there will be no story. but he's immature and can't do that.
Because he still has hurt feelings.
mhayden
quote:

Eh, put me in the camp of wanting players to say what is on their mind. That's what gives these guys personalities outside of the field and allows people to love/hate them.

Sports can be pretty boring otherwise.

I'd rather CJ ramble on about how he thinks his former employer (or current employer) treated him then hear empty, cookie-cutter stock comments from guys like Elvis of "I'm re-dedicating myself" or "I'm in the best shape of my life".
corleoneAg99
AG
Dislike CJ as much as anyone but his recent public defense of Josh and these comments came off more brutally honest than the total uber dbaggery he's become known for. Well done, CJ.
DannyDuberstein
AG
So on to a different deflection now, huh? The fact is only a spoiled little school girl would be complaining about the big meanie JD four years later.
mhayden
quote:
So on to a different deflection now, huh? The fact is only a spoiled little school girl would be complaining about the big meanie JD four years later.

I don't think anyone has ever said CJ is not a ****** bag.

But some guys from the local radio station asked to interview him, and asked him questions about his former GM and he was honest about it. Had he given the "I've moved on" or "I have nothing to say about my time there" not only would he be lying, but he'd also be considered a pretty horrible interview.

He just ran his own front office over the coals about the Hamilton thing, so it's not like he's just had this deep-seeded hate for only the Texas organization and has made it his mission to let the world know.

He got asked a question and he gave his honest opinion -- an opinion that, as he said, doesn't seem to be too off-base if you look at the supporting evidence:

Hamilton left unhappy
Wilson left unhappy
Kinsler left unhappy
Napoli left unhappy (by CJ's account, so not sure if true).
Michael Young -- the consummate professional -- was at odds with the front office.

Nolan Ryan had an issue with the front office enough that he not only left, but went to the Houston Astros.

Now it's not really a fair question because of the injuries, but what long-term players that aren't in low leverage positions would you consider happy? Beltre... But then? Andrus certainly can't complain as he's stealing money. Ditto Moreland. Washington couldn't complain because of all of the chances they gave him. The rest of the guys aren't in any position of their careers here to really be vocal about anything.

Now I'm in the camp that a GM sometimes has to be ruthless and tough to deal with in order to get what he wants -- so former players not liking their time here doesn't both me all that much (until it starts becoming obvious in free agent talks that players avoid Texas) -- but let's not pretend like CJ is claiming something that isn't pretty obvious.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 398

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.