What IF... Cano does sign with Seattle?

3,020 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Proposition Joe
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just don't see the Mariners being one bat away from contending for the division.
ORAggieFan
quote:
I just don't see the Mariners being one bat away from contending for the division.

You're right. But two bats and a starter and they compete. My guess is they get one of Beltran/Choo/Cruz in the OF and get a typical cheapish masher 1B/DH type.
piag94
AG
The only reason overpaying matters is when you have a fixed budget and it affects other moves
---------------
+1. Cano won't sniff anything after year 8, but who cares? The new TV deals coming in are ridiculous anyway. At 24M, I think they got a great deal for a guy that PLAYS everyday. Is he "worth" that? No, but in terms of what others are paying, they got a solid deal.
ORAggieFan
The potential David Price trade has me worried. If it's any of Ackley/Miller/Franklin I'm OK with it. I just think it's dumb to trade Walker for Price.
ORAggieFan
Talks with Napoli heating up.
Token
AG
so when the rangers, a team who has a history of doing it as well, it's more fun? lol what a joke
Gerg MarmaIard
You know they aren't stopping now. They're all-in, which means they'll overpay for Price too.

A rotation of King, Price, and Kuma is ridiculous.
ORAggieFan
quote:
Ken_Rosenthal: Cano at Safeco since 05: .309/.350/.487. All of MLB: .251/.315/.383. Only player in SEA history better than .309 BA at Safeco: Ichiro .320.
Token
AG
cano hits BOMBS in that park

it also helps that seattle's pitching he faces is generally not good
DallasAg 94
I think it is one thing for a team to overpay for one guy. It is completely different when a team has overpaid at almost every position, with no limit. When a team has a payroll that doubles almost every other team... and then that team struggles to make the playoffs... meh...

To me, Cano to Seattle is exciting, because I think the fans will have something to get excited about. Kuma, Felix and Cano and then if they get Price... it is interesting to see some spares plugged in, and see how it works out.

Looks like Scott Feldman to Houston, so this division is certainly going to be a tough one.

Seriously, though... I like this move for Seattle, for the next 5-6 years. Like Fielder... the production will taper. Hopefully the contract is similar to Kinsler's, which tapers off on the back end.
W
AG
did Cano slip the Mariners a phony birth certificate? A 10-year contract for a guy 31 years old. Even the Angels think that's a bad deal
Hamburger Dan
quote:
That said, F the Yankees.

Isn't this really all that matters.
J.P. 03
AG
Much to no one's surprise, the last few years of this contract didn't quite work out. That said, if anyone wants to pay me $40+ million to go away, I'll sign that deal immediately:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33881467/mets-release-robinson-cano-ending-168-game-tenure-new-york
AggieEP
Actually, the deal ended up working out ok for Seattle. They got 5 good years of 3 plus WAR from him and managed to unload him to a dumb team in exchange for a top prospect. (Although Kelenic has really struggled)

The 10 year deals rarely end well, but at least from Seattle's perspective, this could have been much worse.
J.P. 03
AG
Agree, and it's certainly not a knock against Seattle as those big-money years at the tail end of a player's career have unfortunately become part of the cost of doing business if you want to sign any free agents. It certainly sucks if you're a Mets fan who expected much from him, though.
Proposition Joe
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.