Cubs thread v2.0

579,118 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
bluestainedivy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting read on LaHair

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/bryan-lahair-is-cubs-silver-lining-so-far/
Lance Uppercut
AG
Kerry Wood has his own thread, but he's supposedly retiring after one more appearance (which wouldn't necessarily be today). He will be missed. As a Cubs fan, a Texan, and a fan of baseball...Kerry was an exciting player. It's a shame injuries slowed down his career. I remember watching the 20 K game after getting home from school.

Soto has a meniscus tear and is out for 3 weeks. As Clevenger is also on the DL and won't return for another week, Blake Lalli was brought up from Iowa. If something crazy happened, Darwin Barney will put on the catchers' gear.

Volstad was optioned to Iowa. T. Wood is expected to take his spot in the rotation on Tuesday when the Cubs are in Houston.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I just watched Kerry Wood's career end. At least it ended the right way, with him making the batter look foolish on strike 3.
BobOliver2006
AG
i was home sick from school the day of the 20K game and watched it all live start to finish. for some reason i was actually gonna record it, but i just couldn't find a blank tape.

on a side note, the Volstad demotion couldn't have come soon enough. but i hope he can find it in Iowa. maybe the mental aspect of finally getting a win anywhere anyhow even in AAA will help him turn the corner... but probably not.
bluestainedivy
Heart-warming close to Woody's career. Not gonna lie, hearin about his retirement in the morning really put a damper on my day even though we knew it was coming
WhataMaroon88
AG
He's such a likeable guy, I'll miss him for sure. I guess the struggles this year really messed with him. Glad he went out in style.
Know Your Enemy
AG
This ****ing blows. Why do we get the White Sox broadcast at Wrigley? These announcers are among the worst in sports history.
BobOliver2006
AG
ignoring the sox homerism, I will always enjoy listening to Steve Stone. Hawk on the other hand was brutal. I think at one point though Stone referred to Koyie Hill as a pretty good player or something like that so he does lose some points for that... he was also thrilled that Darwin Barney wasn't in the lineup. I wasn't aware that he struck fear in opponents.
Know Your Enemy
AG
He raved on and on about Ian Stewart's power. Stoney jumped the shark a while ago. He's gone full retard.
Know Your Enemy
AG
7 in a row. Pathetic.
Know Your Enemy
AG
10 years ago today

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=220522116
Know Your Enemy
AG
******* this ****ing team is terrible. We can't even beat the ****ty White Sox or the ****ty Astros.
AgRyan04
quote:
10 years ago today

I was at Wrigley that night. The place was BUZZING. He was one of the biggest What Ifs....probably THE biggest since I started following the club when I was 10 y.o.

I was also at the game tonight. We suck. Thank God that Ryno didn't get stuck with this stink of a team. My boy, however, was a joy to watch - he's 3-1/2 and was shouting "Go Cubs Go" between bites of ice cream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Lance Uppercut
AG
I haven't heard "recent" Steve Stone, but the guy was as close to "right all the time" as anyone I've ever listened to back when he was with the Cubs. Dusty and his band of lazy veterans couldn't stand it when he described their sloth and baseball ignorance and pouted until he was moved south. I miss him. FWIW, Bob is usually more veiled, but he's had his own moments where he's gone "full manager" on the Cubs and been every bit as critical of the play on the field.

And yes, the Cubs are awful. It's worse by looking at the team and realizing there are very few pieces that would make up the future's playoff team: Castro........uh. There are talks of getting rid of Dempster (his contract ends this year) and Garza. And then there's Samardzija if he can stay consistent on the pitching side of things.

So there are 2, maybe 3, guys that are even "the future" to watch. Very frustrating baseball. (Also heard that LaHair would be shipped whenever Rizzo was ready to come up).
Lance Uppercut
AG
Oh, and Kerry Wood, Eddie Vedder, and Chris Chelios sing karaoke (well, kerry wood sits there):

http://deadspin.com/5912116/eddie-vedder-chris-chelios-and-kerry-wood-hung-out-to-sing-karaoke-on-sunday
BobOliver2006
AG
just because we need something positive... the I-Cubs dropped 18 on the Tacoma Rainiers last night and Volstad finally got the W. Rizzo went 3 for 5, 1 HR, 5 R, 3 RBI. I was wondering how he got on base to score those 2 extra times without a BB or HBP until I saw Tacoma had SEVEN errors. And Clevenger made a rehab start, so maybe a "real" catcher can make an appearance and he can resume his hot start...
bluestainedivy
Before we all jump ship, let's just remember that we're in a rebuilding phase. While it sucks that we're sucking let's not go crazy here.

BTW, in good news Brooks Raley has been promoted to the ICubs and will be starting tonight
Know Your Enemy
AG
Who's jumping ship?

I expected us to be bad, but the last week has been extra maddening.
bluestainedivy
Yeah, I exaggerated, but just a little.

I did go to the Monday night game. That was rough. I do think it is pretty how inept this group of professionals have been. Particularly w RiSP. it is very reminiscent of the pathetic teams most of us grew up watching for most of the '90's
Macpappy99
AG
Just notices Castro's OBP is only 10 points higher than his batting avg. He could be really dangerous of he learned to be patient.
Know Your Enemy
AG
A Reed Johnson HR in the first is the only ****ing run scored tonight in yet another loss.
bluestainedivy
Yeah, and the only frickin time we've led the last 7 games. Can you believe that garbage?

We're doing so bad even the astro fans won't even bother talking smack

I like Koyie Hill, but I was glad we got rid of him. We're so pathetic we had to bring him back. I saw that at bat he had against. He was overmatched from the beginning. Wendy threw him four curves and Hill didn't have a prayer. Part of it is that we suck w RiSP ( yeah, there I go again) but at the same time, what can you expect?

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 5/23/2012 10:35p).]
10andBOUNCE
AG
I can honestly say I'm more frustrated that Brett Jackson is struggling big time in AAA than our 9 game losing streak.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
We're so pathetic we had to bring him back.

Not that I'm in any way defending the hot mess known as Koyie Hill, but we currently have THREE catchers on the DL.
bluestainedivy
I would list the injury situation as part of our patheticness.

Seeing as how usually when the boys in blue have struggled like this in the past it has been one of our faults, if not all of ours, I recommend we impose some self-restrictions in order to right the course or at least make the Chicago Cubs experience more enjoyable for our fellow fans. I know I'm not as regular of a poster on here as I have been in the past, but I've decided to impose the usual self-ban until things have improved. Anyone else?
bluestainedivy
Oh and I am joking...well, sort of.

Self-ban started
tylhair
AG
Lance Uppercut
AG
I think as long as we're going for terrible, we may as well go all the way. What would it take to be the worst team of your era....We haven't had a 100 loss team since 66...
Lance Uppercut
AG
Expect Roster Changes After June 4th Draft

WHUT?!?!?
BobOliver2006
AG
Joe Maddon hit Carlos Pena leadoff last night...

[This message has been edited by BobOliver2006 (edited 5/26/2012 1:09p).]
Lance Uppercut
AG
Yikes, 10-4 loss to the Pirates and now Garza's ERA is over 4. I guess being on the Cubs could make anyone disheartened pretty quickly.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Losers
BobOliver2006
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Marmol activated, Dolis sent to Iowa.
AgShaun00
AG
slumpbuster worked
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.