Cubs thread v2.0

577,683 Views | 6318 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AgRyan04
HoosierAggie13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the Pena signing and the recent talk of trying to sign Webb/Trade for Garza it appears that they arent going to mail this year in so I wouldnt be adverse to signing Hudson to a 1 year deal if he would take it. He would be a nice 2 hitter and plays defense pretty well if I remember correctly? With Hudson, Castro, and Pena the defense could be relatively solid up the middle if Pena can dig out throws like Lee could.
Know Your Enemy
AG
A prime example of why I love Ron Santo.

quote:
And Pat Hughes brought the cathedral down with is stirring and heartfelt eulogy. Of course, to told the story of the Brant Brown game and Ronnie's now-famous cry of 'Oh, no!" when Brown dropped that flyball.

"His head is flat on the table, it was as if his forehead was glued to the table," Pat said. "I thought we lost him right there. I had to jab him in the shoulder. I said `Ronnie are you OK?' `Yeah I guess.'

"He's in Jim Riggleman's office sipping on a beer. He's in tears. `How could he drop the ball in that situation?' Jim Riggleman the manager walks over to Ron Santo the broadcaster, puts his arm around him and says `Ronnie hang in there, we're going to Houston, we can beat the Astros, we can still make the playoffs.' I had to look away. The clubhouse felt like a tragedy. We had just lost this brutal game, but I had to laugh. Here was a manager cheering up a broadcaster. This has never happened in the history of American sports. Do you think Mike Ditka ever tried to cheer up Wayne Larrivee? I don't think so.''
Know Your Enemy
AG
By the way, Santo will be cremated and his ashes spread at Wrigley Field.
bluestainedivy
Funny how I read this thread and ol' Harry Caray's take me out to the ballgame comes on of the 4,000 songs I have on my iPod.

Hoosier, I was also under the impression that the Cubs weren't going to be trying hard the next two years. What's going on?
10andBOUNCE
AG
The Cubs were just trying to find their mythical power lefty bat.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Here is Santo's last few moments as a Cubs broadcaster. I'm really going to miss him.

http://home.comcast.net/~bcvm22/cubs/farewellron.mp3
bluestainedivy
10andBOUNCE
AG
Cubs close to a deal with Kerry Wood.

Would love to see him finish his career at Wrigley, HEALTHY.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm sure we're going to overpay him, but I'm glad he's coming home.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I know he was asking for a 2 year/ 12M deal. Who knows if he'd give the Cubs a little discount. If he is a legit 8th inning guy all year I'd be fine giving him that amount.
Know Your Enemy
AG
1-year $1.5MM for Woody. Great deal!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Love this guy!
quote:
Wood reportedly turned down more lucrative offers from Boston and the White Sox, possibly leaving $10-$12 million on the table.
bluestainedivy
That is awesome. I'm glad he's coming back. I'm intrigued by the 1-year deal. I know next year's a big year for the Cubs in shedding a lot of their payroll.
BobOliver2006
AG
Kerry Wood is the new Andre Dawson
super.duper.ag
AG
i love the wood signing. the thing i think i love best - he turned down more money from the sox. his wife is from chicago, so we wanted to come back. he could have played on the south side and make quite a bit more, but he's a northsider and a cub. in the face of big signings this winter by the sox, i love this signing. the bullpin will be stong with marshall, wood, cashner and marmol. plus, the clubhouse should be better with wood and pena. i love this signing!
bluestainedivy
Agreed.

Did yall see the Brewers traded for Greinke? Normally whatever the Brewers do doesn't really matter to me. But who knows, they may have themselves a good rotation...what's new though, huh?
TXAggie2011
AG
That's a great deal for Wood. He can take a slight step back from his past few seasons and still easily be worth 1.5 million, imo.
TXAggie2011
AG
With Greinke, the Brewers are now built a lot like those contending teams from the Sheets/Sabathia days. They should be a tough team this season.
Lance Uppercut
AG
The Cubs and Giants have allegedly talked about swapping Rowand and Kosuke, but it's a "long shot".
Know Your Enemy
AG
No, no, no, no, hell no, no, no, no.
bluestainedivy
Hey guys, early Merry Christmas wishes for every one of you!
Know Your Enemy
AG
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20101224/sports/712259923
bluestainedivy
Wow. You keep on hearing about how Ronnie was a fighter. Every story you hear proves it more and more.
bluestainedivy
In the latest chapter of the Orioles' infatuation with Cubs castoffs, they have come to a 1-yr oral agreement with DLee.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Andy MacFail strikes again.
bluestainedivy
Good article on Woody's return to the Cubs:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2903289-419/wood-deal-cubs-cub-money.html
bluestainedivy
In case you guys aren't in the loop, a trade for the Ray's Garza likely including prospects is in "serious discussion". Stay tuned.
Know Your Enemy
bluestainedivy
Now it looks like he won't be traded until the summer.
BobOliver2006
AG

while trading the farm system's pitcher of the year and player of the year sounds a bit steep, at this point I'll take Garza for Archer and Guyer

Chirinos was going nowhere behind Soto, Lee was going nowhere behind Starlin (except maybe 2B), and Fuld was going nowhere period.

looking forward to a 2011 rotation of Zambrano, Demp, Garza, Cashner, and anybody else

[This message has been edited by BobOliver2006 (edited 1/7/2011 11:49a).]

[This message has been edited by BobOliver2006 (edited 1/7/2011 11:49a).]
10andBOUNCE
AG
A proven, 27 year old AL starter for an unproven Archer and Chorinos? Yes please.

Garza has averaged 197 IP the last 3 seasons - all sub 4.00 ERA.

Huge move.

[This message has been edited by cubsin11 (edited 1/7/2011 11:58a).]
AgRyan04
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Dallas-Green-s-granddaughter-dies-in-Arizona-sho?urn=mlb-305133

Former Cubs GM Dallas Green's grandaughter was the 9-year old who was shot in Arizona.

Horrific.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
'00 Wyoming | '00 UTEP | '00 tech | '00 Colorado | '00 @Baylor | '00 Kansas St | '00 Oklahoma | '01 McNeese St | '01 Oklahoma St | '01 Notre Dame | '01 Baylor | '01 Iowa St | '01 t.u. | '02 La-Lafayette | '02 Virginia Tech | '02 La Tech | '02 tech | '02 Nebraska | '02 Oklahoma | '02 Missouri | '03 Arkansas St | '03 Utah | '03 Pitt | '03 Baylor | '03 @Nebraska | '03 Oklahoma St | '03 Kansas | '03 t.u. | '04 Wyoming | '04 Clemson | '04 Kansas St | '04 Colorado | '04 tech | '04 @t.u. | '05 Cotton Bowl | '05 SMU | '05 Baylor | '05 Oklahoma St | '05 Iowa St | '05 t.u. | '06 Citadel | '06 La-Lafayette | '06 v Army | '06 La Tech | '06 tech | '06 Missouri | '06 @Baylor | '06 Oklahoma | '06 Nebraska | '06 @t.u. | '06 Holiday Bowl | '07 Montana St | '07 Fresno St | '07 La-Monroe | '07 @Miami | '07 Baylor | '07 Oklahoma St | '07 @Nebraska | '07 Kansas | '07 t.u. | '08 Arkansas St | '08 @New Mexico | '08 Miami | '08 Army | '08 Kansas St | '08 tech | '08 Colorado | '08 Oklahoma | '08 @Baylor | '08 @t.u. | '09 New Mexico | '09 Utah St | '09 UAB | '09 v Arkansas | '09 Oklahoma St | '09 Iowa St | '09 @Colorado | '09 @Oklahoma | '09 Baylor | '09 t.u. | '09 Independence Bowl | '10 SFA | '10 La Tech | '10 FIU | '10 v Arkansas | '10 Missouri | '10 texas tech | '10 Oklahoma | '10 @Baylor | '10 Nebraska | '10 @t.u. | '11 Cotton Bowl

[This message has been edited by AgRyan04 (edited 1/10/2011 12:01a).]
bluestainedivy
wow

That whole incident is disgusting.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Cubs have claimed former Rangers catcher Max Ramirez off waivers.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I hope he takes Hill's spot backing up Geo.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.