Caitlin Clark - NBA

8,081 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Aggie Class of 2026
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These kind of takes crack me up. Have you ever watched a game from the 1980s? Nobody played defense until the fourth quarter and you'd regularly see players out of breath walking up the court. There was actually not a single season in the 1980s where the pace of play was slower than the pace of play during this current season. You had teams like the Nuggets whose defense consisted of waving at the opposing players as they passed by.

The rules of the game today certainly favor offenses, but the defensive talent is arguably the best it's ever been too. Especially post All Star break with the refs swallowing their whistles more and allowing the game to play out. Scottie Pippen used to be a freakish outlier because he was an athletic and aggressive 6'8 wing that could switch onto anyone, but in today's game you will see teams trying to build an entire roster of guys like that. It's okay to have nostalgia for the way the game was played when you were young, I think we all do, but don't let that blind you from the crazy amount of talent that is on display in the league today.
Infection_Ag11
AG
BudFox7 said:

The NBA is a shell of what it once was. Just dudes jogging around playing matador defense. A woman that can shoot might actually be competitive in this league.

I don't know how ppl watch the current game. They're playing with less intensity and effort than rec league.

Some random dude is scoring 50-60 every week

This take is every bit as stupid and objectively false as the "women play more fundamental basketball" claim.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
BudFox7 said:

The NBA is a shell of what it once was. Just dudes jogging around playing matador defense. A woman that can shoot might actually be competitive in this league.

I don't know how ppl watch the current game. They're playing with less intensity and effort than rec league.

Some random dude is scoring 50-60 every week
You don't know ball.
BudFox7
Hahahahaha the triggered masses!

You know you hit some truth when multiple
Ppl get set off to rage quote.

The NBA today is so so soft. Just jogging up and down the court making layups or 3s. Minimal effort. Collecting entertainment checks. YAWN
MookieBlaylock
AG
BudFox7 said:

The NBA today is so so soft. Just jogging up and down the court making layups or 3s. Minimal effort. Collecting entertainment checks. YAWN

the NBA product is terrible and getting outdrawn by ladies basketball- let that sink in -

but Clark got bodied up by a 6 foot 150lb girl that can't touch the rim
Guitarsoup
AG
PatAg
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

BudFox7 said:

the NBA product is terrible and getting outdrawn by ladies basketball- let that sink in -

but Clark got bodied up by a 6 foot 150lb girl that can't touch the rim
is it?
M.C. Swag
AG
This thread is weird.
South Platte
I should have bought Indiana Fever season tickets as an investment.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
WNBA has sports media in a chokehold this Monday morning. LMAO.
Enzo The Baker
AG
The jealousy of these WNBA players of Clark is hilarious. Clark is only going make them richer. Taurasi put up 30+ and no one GAF. We all care about Clark's 8 point stinker. Part of me hopes that Clark goes to Asia/Europe/Russia and the WNBA goes back to flying SW airlines.
South Platte
Enzo The Baker said:

The jealousy of these WNBA players of Clark is hilarious. Clark is only going make them richer. Taurasi put up 30+ and no one GAF. We all care about Clark's 8 point stinker. Part of me hopes that Clark goes to Asia/Europe/Russia and the WNBA goes back to flying SW airlines.
Clark isn't going to make any of them richer. No one is going to watch this crap long term - - it's truly terrible basketball and they aren't fooling any sponsors/TV networks, etc. Clark got a great deal with Nike - I guess Nike likes giving away money. No new customers are going to overload the Nike website buying girls basketball shoes because of Clark. Whoever was buying shoes is still buying shoes. It was an opportunity to virtual signal for Nike to support women's sports.

I think Chennedy Carter makes $64,000/year, so I can't imagine her shoe contract, if she even has one, is worth much.

Who cares if Carter is racist or jealous.
aezmvp
"People were deliberately trying to hurt me all of the time. I had never been called the B-word so many times in my life than I was in my rookie season. I'd never been thrown to the ground so much. The message was: 'We want you to know we don't like you.'" […]

- Candace Wiggins #3 overall pick in 2008.

"Me being heterosexual and straight, and being vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge," Wiggins said. "I would say 98 percent of the women in the WNBA are gay women. It was a conformist type of place. There was a whole different set of rules they (the other players) could apply. […]

So it's not like this is a new issue. My wife brought me a ton of stuff about Clark while she was finishing up her college career and when they sold all those tickets to her games. I told her that Clark being straight, nationally popular and white was going to see a ton of hate and bunch of on the court stuff. It's not surprising to any casual basketball fan that knows anything. This was the obvious outcome.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Meh, where was that same energy for Sabrina Ionescu? She's white, straight, and I think the only WNBA player who has an actual signature shoe deal with Nike (until A'ja Wilson gets onboarded). She had a one-on-one event with Steph Curry during the NBA's ASW despite being the third best player on her team at best.

There really is something about Caitlin that rubs people the wrong way. I initially thought it was simple as veteran jealousy or even casual race/orientation which isn't unique to the NBA. Seems like there is way more too it though. I don't know. I'm sure the WNBA is welcoming the press either way.
Aggie Class of 2026
Quote:

There really is something about Caitlin that rubs people the wrong way

She's the GOAT, the record holder. She's also white. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way unfortunately.
Iowaggie
AG
You'll need to know your Bible, Saints, and Brittney Griner history to understand this edition of MrGo30's film on Caitlin Clark.

"A thief in the night" is such a great line!

Verne Lundquist
AG
No Caitlin on USA basketball is the stupidest shizz I've ever seen

Who the eff is making those decisions?
Enzo The Baker
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Verne Lundquist said:

Is she legitimately deserving though? I get she's a draw, but is that, or should it, be a major consideration of USA basketball that's trying to win gold? What's the bigger priority? Winning or bringing more eyeballs to your games? She's putting up stats on a godawful team, but is she amongst the top 12-15 players in the league already? Imo, as someone that doesn't have a dog in the hunt on either side, that's all that should matter. besides that , Olympic team tryouts happened during the NCAA tournament where not one of the current rookies participated. You include CC on this roster when she didn't participate in the tryouts, you are going to further divide between her and the rest of the league when she's already being accused of special treatment
AG
Dp
MookieBlaylock
AG
Verne Lundquist said:

Putting Brian Grinder over CC is laughable
They would have out drawn the men and would have been a top 5 watch with CC

Now ain't nobody paying attention
The D
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Verne Lundquist said:

Is she legitimately deserving though? I get she's a draw, but is that, or should it, be a major consideration of USA basketball that's trying to win gold? What's the bigger priority? Winning or bringing more eyeballs to your games? She's putting up stats on a godawful team, but is she amongst the top 12-15 players in the league already? Imo, as someone that doesn't have a dog in the hunt on either side, that's all that should matter. besides that , Olympic team tryouts happened during the NCAA tournament where not one of the current rookies participated. You include CC on this roster when she didn't participate in the tryouts, you are going to further divide between her and the rest of the league when she's already being accused of special treatment

Umm she's absolutely deserving. Christian Laintner was on the dream team.

AG
The D said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Verne Lundquist said:

Umm she's absolutely deserving. Christian Laintner was on the dream team.

I keep seeing that comparison and it was a different scenario. The 92 team agreed to have 1 college guy on the squad as an homage to the previous teams that didn't have pros.
The D
AG
I get it but you are talking about the best college player of all time
RogerFurlong
They just hate the fact they have an opportunity to be profitable. Montgomery Brewster must be running women's basketball.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Who gives a crap if she iis a top 12 player

We seent Taurasi 5x now she is not likeable and neither is Brian

She is the #1 draw period end of story -

This is one of the worst business decisions I have ever seen- hundreds of millions being pissed away by the WNBA, and NBC , USOC and countless advertisers
Aggie Class of 2026
Verne Lundquist said:

They are making narratives to justify keeping her off the team because there are too many players with a different skin color that are very jealous of her.

Watch me smile if they don't take gold
The Porkchop Express
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

Verne Lundquist said:

They are making narratives to justify keeping her off the team because there are too many players with a different skin color that are very jealous of her.

That's pretty pathetic. Those are USA athletes.
aTmAg
AG
Do they kneel during the anthem (or did they)? If so, then F them. They aren't worthy of the title "Americans".
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Taurasi's old ass taking a spot from a younger player (doesn't even matter if it's Caitlin Clark) is the dumbest thing ever. The worst kind of vet.
Enzo The Baker
AG
South Platte said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Clark isn't going to make any of them richer. No one is going to watch this crap long term - - it's truly terrible basketball and they aren't fooling any sponsors/TV networks, etc. Clark got a great deal with Nike - I guess Nike likes giving away money. No new customers are going to overload the Nike website buying girls basketball shoes because of Clark. Whoever was buying shoes is still buying shoes. It was an opportunity to virtual signal for Nike to support women's sports.

I think Chennedy Carter makes $64,000/year, so I can't imagine her shoe contract, if she even has one, is worth much.

Who cares if Carter is racist or jealous.

The Clark effect. She's the reason the league is exploding this year. More revenue = Higher Salary and she is being frozen out by the players. But I think the drama is playing to their advantage tbh from a financial standpoint.

From the Washington Post.
Quote:

The league is set to receive a windfall for its broadcast rights, which expire next season and are valued at around $60 million per year, according to people familiar with the figures. The NBA, which owns roughly 60 percent of the women's league, is in the process of negotiating that deal, which Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal reported will be worth more than $7 billion per year for both leagues, up from around the $2.7 billion the NBA gets per year in its current deal. The WNBA's share could be transformative, with several media executives predicting the league could triple its annual rights revenue to somewhere between $180 and $200 million, or more. But there's a quirk: Media companies won't decide how much the WNBA's media rights are worth. The NBA will.

Aggie Class of 2026
The Porkchop Express said:

Aggie Class of 2026 said:

Verne Lundquist said:

That's pretty pathetic. Those are racist, USA athletes.

Fify
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.