***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,529 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bringing this guy to camp

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4431993/dj-horne
Ag Natural
AG
Nunez seriously looks like a Manu 2.0. Lefty with creativity and a nice stroke.
Guitarsoup
AG
Toronto have Quickly a 5/175 contact
Guitarsoup
AG
Nunez isn't a draft and stash.

AggieEP
I dug back into Devin Carter some more, and now I'm even more peeved they didn't take him. Even if not at 8, the plan should have been to trade back to 10 or 11 and grab him.

Consider the following, he's 6'2'' but averaged over 8 rebounds per game. In a March game against UCONN, he went for 24 and 15 against a team with Castle and Klingan. 15 REBOUNDS in a game at 6'2'' against future NBA players and with a 7'2'' guy patrolling the paint. He had 13 double doubles last year.

When you are looking in the draft, in my opinion you are looking for guys who have skills you can't easily find with a replacement level player. Who makes the winning plays. A guard grabbing 8+ rebounds a game makes a difference in winning, there is just no arguing against that. He's potentially got Josh Hart upside as a rebounder from the perimeter.

He might not be an NBA starter in his career, but I think he'll spend a long time making contributions to winning teams. He may even be an Alex Caruso level player that just does the things you need on the court to increase the efficiency of whole units.
Guitarsoup
AG
I love Carter and think he is a great cultural fit. I think he can be an elite glue guy role player like Bruce Brown was for the Nuggets title run. Come in and man up against anyone, grab rebounds, dish out assists, hit threes. Be a great fit in the lockerroom and on the court. But I also think that if we really want him, we will have more opportunities to grab him or someone similar. Chicago signed Caruso to a MLE contract after he had proven himself as a starter in the Finals.

And I still love Tre Jones as a backup. Tre plays hard, is a great team guy, is a leader, and has a high IQ on both ends of the court. As a starter, he put up a respectable 11/7/4 with 53/39 shooting and extremely underrated defense.

I'd be happy to have Carter, but I don't think he is the difference maker that we need right now. Probably will be in 3 years.

The difference maker we need right now is going to be Flagg, Ace Bailey, Traore, Liam McNeeley, Dink Pate, etc.

And I think that is why you will see Castle start from day 1, and the Spurs will struggle a good bit early. And Spurs fans will be insufferable, but being able to get one or two top ten guys next year plus having max salary cap space is going to be incredible for 2026+.

Plus, we have 12 first round picks over the next 7 years and also four first swaps that have either no protected or only top-1 protection. That is a ton of trade asset capital.
West Texan
AG
flashplayer
AG
I am 100% on the fail for Flagg hype train. Hopefully Atlanta implodes this year and finishes in the lottery to increase our odds even more.
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer said:

I am 100% on the fail for Flagg hype train. Hopefully Atlanta implodes this year and finishes in the lottery to increase our odds even more.
Lets get those three rookies all the reps they can handle.

And Trae coming in and seeing that Risacher needs 2-3 years of development will probably be the final nail in the coffin there. Atlanta is going to be sick on the return they can get from Trae, and we have our PG of the future and won't want him.

But I don't think many teams are going to want to pay the price for a guy like that, especially seeing how Dallas, Boston, OKC, Denver, Minnesota, etc are constructed.

Tell me: which team adding Trae makes them an immediate Finals contender? Maybe New Orleans? Maybe Orlando? But Orlando isn't deep enough to give up much talent. NOLA can give CJ McCollum and/or Brandon Ingram and picks. That won't be a difference maker for Atlanta. They are stuck because they have a legit star who probably doesn't want to be there, but not many other teams want him either. Lakers for Rui/Reaves and two picks? That's awful.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

flashplayer said:

Lets get those three rookies all the reps they can handle.

And Trae coming in and seeing that Risacher needs 2-3 years of development will probably be the final nail in the coffin there. Atlanta is going to be sick on the return they can get from Trae, and we have our PG of the future and won't want him.

But I don't think many teams are going to want to pay the price for a guy like that, especially seeing how Dallas, Boston, OKC, Denver, Minnesota, etc are constructed.

Tell me: which team adding Trae makes them an immediate Finals contender? Maybe New Orleans? Maybe Orlando? But Orlando isn't deep enough to give up much talent. NOLA can give CJ McCollum and/or Brandon Ingram and picks. That won't be a difference maker for Atlanta. They are stuck because they have a legit star who probably doesn't want to be there, but not many other teams want him either. Lakers for Rui/Reaves and two picks? That's awful.

Blow that ***** up!
LawHall88
AG
Ag Natural
AG
AggieEP said:

I dug back into Devin Carter some more, and now I'm even more peeved they didn't take him. Even if not at 8, the plan should have been to trade back to 10 or 11 and grab him.

Consider the following, he's 6'2'' but averaged over 8 rebounds per game. In a March game against UCONN, he went for 24 and 15 against a team with Castle and Klingan. 15 REBOUNDS in a game at 6'2'' against future NBA players and with a 7'2'' guy patrolling the paint. He had 13 double doubles last year.

When you are looking in the draft, in my opinion you are looking for guys who have skills you can't easily find with a replacement level player. Who makes the winning plays. A guard grabbing 8+ rebounds a game makes a difference in winning, there is just no arguing against that. He's potentially got Josh Hart upside as a rebounder from the perimeter.

He might not be an NBA starter in his career, but I think he'll spend a long time making contributions to winning teams. He may even be an Alex Caruso level player that just does the things you need on the court to increase the efficiency of whole units.
I agree about Carter. But I also understand the thought process. I think the Spurs had one or two guys pegged as being targets and then everyone else was considered optional developmental guys. Keep in mind 1st round picks get 3 years guaranteed and they take up a roster spot as they develop. You don't want an entire team of guys who fit that profile. Sacramento drafted Carter and they jettisoned Mitchel to make room (former high pick). At some point the roster itself has to be managed in a way that allows these guys to develop properly.
Guitarsoup
AG

West Texan
AG
West Texan said:

Ag Natural
AG
In the presser Wright said it was a wait and see on Nunez.
Guitarsoup
AG

Guitarsoup
AG

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Earth Rider
AG
I'm all for tanking again next year. Wemby though is competitive. I just hope he can see the big picture. I wonder when Pop is going to transition out. I'd like to show Wemby some stability if we are going to tank, and through a process to acquire assets over time.

Our young players are getting pretty good though. It may be hard to tank at this point.
Guitarsoup
AG
Earth Rider said:

I'm all for tanking again next year. Wemby though is competitive. I just hope he can see the big picture. I wonder when Pop is going to transition out. I'd like to show Wemby some stability if we are going to tank, and through a process to acquire assets over time.

Our young players are getting pretty good though. It may be hard to tank at this point.

Don't think of it as tanking as much as developing. Wemby has done multiple interviews explaining he understands the process and while he wants to win, knows it will take some time.

Look how much Devin progressed in his 4th year. In olden days, that would be his rookie year.

This upcoming year will be Sochan 's senior year of college.

There is a paradigm shift here that a lot of Spurs fans don't get, especially because Duncan won so quickly (after a 4 year college career)
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Earth Rider said:

Don't think of it as tanking as much as developing. Wemby has done multiple interviews explaining he understands the process and while he wants to win, knows it will take some time.

Look how much Devin progressed in his 4th year. In olden days, that would be his rookie year.

This upcoming year will be Sochan 's senior year of college.

There is a paradigm shift here that a lot of Spurs fans don't get, especially because Duncan won so quickly (after a 4 year college career)
Yeah there is no reason to tank on purpose. The team will lose plenty just because they are young and West is deep. Plus, we have all those other picks giving us a shot at a top pick next year.
CC09LawAg
I wonder about a Trae Young for KAT swap plus whatever other sweetener for either side they negotiate. I think it makes sense for both teams.
Guitarsoup
AG
Minnesota doesn't have any tradeable picks because Utah and Spurs own them all. And KAT, Jalen Johnson, and Risacher are all kind of similar, with KAT being unable to play SF, too.
AggieEP
Since we're past the draft now and we've been talking about the idea of one day cashing out picks for a proven player, who do you all have on your dream sheet for who we go after if they were some how available? (Assumption here is that guys on top teams like Shai, Luka, Tatum, Jokic are not available)

Mine would be like this

1- Scottie Barnes (Impossible right now, but maybe in a year or two)
2- Lauri Markkanen
3- Michael Porter Jr (assuming Nuggets want to avoid some tax and reload with draft picks)

I'd assume out of these three Markkanen could be the most achievable get of the bunch, but Utah might not want any more picks. He's also scheduled to be a free agent after this year though, so there might be some motivation to find him a home if they are worried about the price tag or he's not happy with spending 2-3 more years losing while they build around him. If we could ship out Collins plus 4 first round picks for him (assuming a deal in place for an extension) then this is a huge win for us. Wemby plays the 5, Markkanen plays the 4 and we bludgeon teams with length.

Guitarsoup
AG
I like Barnes and Lauri a lot. Not a big fan of Michael Porter at his current contract. I would rather have Franz Wagner and hope he gets his shot back.

What really matters is what the next draft does. ESPN's first mock has us at #9 and #10 and the Bulls pick going #8. If we hit on one of those into a top 4, we may get that #2 star that way.

I'll go with some younger ones.

Nikola Jovic from Miami.
Trey Murphy
Herb Jones
Jaren Jackson Jr
Evan Mobley
Guitarsoup
AG

Collins for Lopez makes more sense.
Guitarsoup
AG

Spurs are supposedly a team that will offer him, but at his age and contract, I'm not sure I see it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
DeJounte to New Orleans.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

WHAT IS AND MORE?
Guitarsoup
AG

Nance, Dyson Daniels, Lakers 25 unprotected pick and the worst of the Bucks/Pelicans 2027 picks.

Hawks got a fraction of what they paid.
AggieEP
Good trade for New Orleans, they give up nothing and add DJ
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieEP said:

Good trade for New Orleans, they give up nothing and add DJ
They till have a solid trade asset in Brandon Ingram to trade away. That's the biggest thing.

They also have all their own picks and a swap with Milwaukee.
West Texan
AG
Now just trade Young and let Risacher and Jalen Johnson be your tank commanders.
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.