***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,492 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He and Victor are about to have some wild chess matchups.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Charlotte just traded for Reggie Jackson, who just recently opted in. They might wanna be more competitive than we think.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Charlotte just traded for Reggie Jackson, who just recently opted in. They might wanna be more competitive than we think.

Just came to post that. Interesting move for the hornets.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs take 3 connective high IQ players in this draft. Pretty clear they know of that deficiency.
Guitarsoup
AG

LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88 said:

Hell yea.
Guitarsoup
AG

superunknown
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Texas boy! I remember when we were recruiting him, he was a beast in HS. Type of pedigree you take a swing on but I doubt he ever makes the real roster.

Great Value Keldon maybe?
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Next few days may have some interest.

• Mamu and Barlow QO deadline is Saturday
  • Free Agency opens Sunday
  • Graham contract guarantee deadline is Monday
Enzo The Baker
AG
There have been a couple mentions of Paul George to the Spurs today, one by Woj, as it relates to cap space (they'll still have to move some stuff around to make it work).

If we could make it happen with giving up minimal assets but on the 4-year term he wants, would you do it?
flashplayer
AG
Harrison Ingram sounds like a slightly faster / smaller / Diet Dejuan Blair with longer arms.
flashplayer
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

There have been a couple mentions of Paul George to the Spurs today, one by Woj, as it relates to cap space (they'll still have to move some stuff around to make it work).

If we could make it happen with giving up minimal assets but on the 4-year term he wants, would you do it?

Nope. His timeline and Victor's are not really compatible. That would have been like pairing a ball dominant wing with Timmy early on, bad for development of a star.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

If they want to trade keldon, Branham and Collins for George straight up then sure. If we have to give up anything more than the Charlotte first then no
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
PG is honestly a perfect fit for any team and I don't really care that he's on the older side tbh. We've got plenty of draft capital coming in to restock young talent. If you can get someone as talented as PG for free? Why wouldn't you? That's the kind of cat we'd be going after next offseason anyhow.

C- Wemby
PF - Sochan
SF - PG
SG - Vassell
PG - Castle

Good luck scoring on that.
Enzo The Baker
AG
flashplayer said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Nope. His timeline and Victor's are not really compatible. That would have been like pairing a ball dominant wing with Timmy early on, bad for development of a star.

It could actually help Victor's development to give him more space to actually work with.

I get the timeline thing doesn't fit and it's not a long term solution. But it would immediately make us competitive while having Atlanta's picks that will be worse.

Not saying we should do it but something to think about for the maturation of our team.
superunknown
AG
flashplayer said:

Harrison Ingram sounds like a slightly faster / smaller / Diet Dejuan Blair with longer arms.

Diet Dejaun Blair (ok that just makes me laugh, iirc he was a huge whataburger fan) with mcls?
Guitarsoup
AG
No one drafted MxCuellar, right? Seems like a decent guy to bring in or two way
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

flashplayer said:

Enzo The Baker said:

It could actually help Victor's development to give him more space to actually work with.

I get the timeline thing doesn't fit and it's not a long term solution. But it would immediately make us competitive while having Atlanta's picks that will be worse.

Not saying we should do it but something to think about for the maturation of our team.

Kinda would need to run the offense through him right? Castle gets training wheels to learn how to be a point guard. I don't hate it but i don't love it. Definitely would be a transitional mode and put the Wemby era in hyperdrive. I could see players lining up to be in the rotation behind Wemby and PG. That would also slot Devin as our 3rd which I think is his best fit if we start competing for championships.
Guitarsoup
AG
It solves one problem but we still don't have the depth or experience to really contend.

I don't really see a point in pushing in this year.

Just give Victor and Castle a year of reps together and see how it goes. Then if the trade deadline or next off season you start using all the assets acquired.

Spurs can have $60 million in cap space next year. Let's not screw it up right now
Earth Rider
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I don't think so. He's not the player he once was, and we would have to give up too much to get him I'd like to see how the 25 draft plays out for us. I'm kind of hoping we are a lottery team again next year.

But I would buy some tickets if we got PG
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I've been with you on the patient approach and still am a fan of moving forward that way. But that cap space is something you hope you can use to lure a guy like PG. If we are able to deploy that cap space on a star a year early without giving up assets, I think we should consider it. He could be the Paul Millsap to Denver move that gets us to the playoffs and provides a major role while our young guys grow into it. Adding the fact that we wouldn't have to deploy any of our picks to bring him in, so we can still use those on other moves in the future to get a star that does align closer to our timeline, I would be all for it.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

No one drafted MxCuellar, right? Seems like a decent guy to bring in or two way
He went #58.
superunknown
AG
Yall seeing and hearing this stuff about Filipowski?

Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

I am soaking it in.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I've been with you on the patient approach and still am a fan of moving forward that way. But that cap space is something you hope you can use to lure a guy like PG. If we are able to deploy that cap space on a star a year early without giving up assets, I think we should consider it. He could be the Paul Millsap to Denver move that gets us to the playoffs and provides a major role while our young guys grow into it. Adding the fact that we wouldn't have to deploy any of our picks to bring him in, so we can still use those on other moves in the future to get a star that does align closer to our timeline, I would be all for it.
Bolded is the important part. I do not think we can get him without giving up significant assets.

Like I said, if they take Branham+Keldon+Collins, sign the deal. But that's not happening.
West Texan
AG
superunknown said:

I literally had zero clue about any of this until Givony mentioned him being estranged from his family and having an older girlfriend before the draft started today. The fact that he was drafted by Utah just makes it even funnier.
West Texan
AG

Continuing to keep an eye on Charlotte and how competitive they are next season.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Continuing to keep an eye on Charlotte and how competitive they are next season.
Nets will suck, Raptors will probably improve some, Bulls about the same, Hawks may improve some unless Trae blows it up. Still don't think they improve 15-20 games to get into the playin.
Guitarsoup
AG
Earth Rider
AG
I like what Charlotte is doing, but I don't see them getting out of the lottery. Same with Chicago on the top 8 or 10.

Does anybody really think we are going to get a first from Charlotte or Chicago?

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Nets will suck, Raptors will probably improve some, Bulls about the same, Hawks may improve some unless Trae blows it up. Still don't think they improve 15-20 games to get into the playin.

They were a play in team a couple of years ago. If they can get a full healthy season out of Lamelo and Bridges to go along with Brandon Miller, they could be in the hunt for one of those last playoff spots. It's the hornets, so there's certainly a very real chance they fall flat on their face, but they do have some pieces to compete a little bit.
superunknown
AG
The comments on r/nba are sublime.

LawHall88
AG
West Texan
AG
Just a reminder that IT is undefeated
First Page Last Page
Page 120 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.