What is Ben Simmons trade value?

4,811 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Iowaggie
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Philly pretty much as to move on from him at this point. Zero confidence.

4y/147mm left and 15% trade kicker

Elite defender, can't score outside the charge circle.

Zach Lowe:
Quote:

"I have news for Philly fans, the GMs of the other teams watch the playoffs very very closely," Lowe said, via Blazer's Edge. "And there are definitely teams that I have talked to in the last 48 hours who were once in on Simmons, who say, at lease to me, it could be posturing, "eh, we're a little less in than we used to be."

PatAg
AG
Basically the same player the Ags whooped
If you can't shoot you have a hard ceiling
West Texan
AG
I think Philly is probably gonna have to make a move like Boston did with Kemba. They're not getting back some elite player for him, so they'll have to throw in a pick to shed that salary.

Doc Rivers, in his infinite wisdom, certainly didn't help anything with his post game comments, and then Embiid piled on as well.

I'd take him in San Antonio as part of our roster over haul.
jeffdjohnson
West Texan said:

I think Philly is probably gonna have to make a move like Boston did with Kemba. They're not getting back some elite player for him, so they'll have to throw in a pick to shed that salary.

Doc Rivers, in his infinite wisdom, certainly didn't help anything with his post game comments, and then Embiid piled on as well.

I would think that Simmons has more value the Kemba. Simmons should really be in more of a Draymond Green role as opposed to the second-best player on your team. He gets exposed in the playoffs in his current role. Of course, he is also a guy making $30M who thinks of himself as the best player on a team. I'm not sure about his mental state and he might be less likely to accept his ideal position. Still, I'd imagine most teams would want him and give up something decent. But no one is likely to give up a huge return.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://theathletic.com/2664449/2021/06/21/hollinger-ben-simmons-trade-seems-inevitable-after-the-pass-but-how-can-sixers-pull-it-off/

Hollinger suggests LaVine for Simmons
West Texan
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

West Texan said:

I would think that Simmons has more value the Kemba. Simmons should really be in more of a Draymond Green role as opposed to the second-best player on your team. He gets exposed in the playoffs in his current role. Of course, he is also a guy making $30M who thinks of himself as the best player on a team. I'm not sure about his mental state and he might be less likely to accept his ideal position. Still, I'd imagine most teams would want him and give up something decent. But no one is likely to give up a huge return.

Simmons is making 30 million plus through 2025 to go be a super role player (which is what Draymond Green is). I agree that in the right role he'd be a really good piece on any team, but that's a giant contract that most contenders aren't gonna wanna take on. I just don't think they get a great return on him.
Carlo4
AG
He dated a Kardashian and lost her to the Suns Booker (according to my wife who follows all this stuff). Enough said.
Iowaggie
AG
West Texan said:

Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks suggested 3 options of interest

The Zach Levine one already mentioned above.
A deal with the Portland Trailblazers for CJ McCullom.
A sign and trade deal with the Spurs (DeMar).

Several others involving Minnesota and other teams, but it's either another playoff team that has hit their ceiling or these rebuilding teams that can build a team around him or the small market teams that can't get a Ben Simmons in free agency.

In two months, some fan base will have forgotten this performance and be excited to get Simmons.
West Texan
AG
Iowaggie said:

West Texan said:

Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks suggested 3 options of interest

The Zach Levine one already mentioned above.
A deal with the Portland Trailblazers for CJ McCullom.
A sign and trade deal with the Spurs (DeMar).

Several others involving Minnesota and other teams, but it's either another playoff team that has hit their ceiling or these rebuilding teams that can build a team around him or the small market teams that can't get a Ben Simmons in free agency.

In two months, some fan base will have forgotten this performance and be excited to get Simmons.

I don't know why the Bulls would wanna swap Lavine for Simmons. I can understand why Philly would want that deal, but it doesn't seem to make any sense from Chicago's side.
Guitarsoup
AG
Interesting thought I saw on Reddit

Utah trades:
Mike Conley
Jordan Clarkson
Picks

Utah receives
Simmons

Utah:
Gobert/Whiteside
Simmons/Gay
Bojan/ONeale
Ingles
Donovan Mitchell

76ers:

Embiid/Drummond
Tobias/Niang
Green/Thybulle
Clarkson/Curry
Conley/Maxey

Seems like a solid trade for both teams. Utah needs a secondary point, but Mitchell could handle that.
Iowaggie
AG
This is going well.

LawHall88
AG
Iowaggie
AG

I wonder how close NBA players keep their phone during practice.

LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Hard to believe he's an LSU tiger
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
And fined $1.4million?!? Jesus. Guy is killing his value.
Iowaggie
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Related: reportedly went to strip club immediately after being kicked out of practice.
Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

Related: reportedly went to strip club immediately after being kicked out of practice.
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

He is a guy with weird value to begin with, because not many people want a guy that plays great defense, but can't score, has questionable work ethic and has $145 million guaranteed to him over the next four years.

Teams could get over the rift with the 76ers, just like there was no shortage of teams looking for Kawhi.

But you have to really work to build a team around Simmons, and there aren't many stars that you have to really work to build a team around.

Morey makes matters worse because of his insane demands. Portland offered CJ McCollum straight up for Simmons and Morey countered by asking for 5 first round picks in addition. Son, you aren't getting a James Harden trade for a guy afraid to dunk.

MookieBlaylock
AG

Pretty sure that wont hiold up
And doc rivers is a terrible coach
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Pacers extended Malcom Brogdon and he can't be traded this year now.

Sorry Morey, you had your shot at a very good trade with the Pacers.
jeffdjohnson
Guitarsoup said:

But you have to really work to build a team around Simmons, and there aren't many stars that you have to really work to build a team around.
Yeah, that is the catch-22. He isn't good enough to build a team around, but he also has the attitude that he should be the star. He would be perfect next to Luka for instance, but there is no way he would want to come to a team where a younger kid is the star and he is a sidekick. He might be good on a top team with older players that he respects, maybe GSW. Otherwise, he needs to go to a rebuilding team where he is the star (and they lose 50 games).
Guitarsoup
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yeah, that is the catch-22. He isn't good enough to build a team around, but he also has the attitude that he should be the star. He would be perfect next to Luka for instance, but there is no way he would want to come to a team where a younger kid is the star and he is a sidekick. He might be good on a top team with older players that he respects, maybe GSW. Otherwise, he needs to go to a rebuilding team where he is the star (and they lose 50 games).
I actually don't think he is ideal next to Luka right now since each of them need shooters around them. If Luka takes another step forward, I would revise that. But a guy like Luka is exceedingly easy to build around. Luka scores, rebounds, and makes his teammates better.

I think the ideal team would be like the 2014 Spurs. No real star. Great shooters at 4 of 5 spots on the floor, everyone plays defense, everyone passes. That's hard to build in a team, and you are more likely to see that in an older team than a younger team. And you still need a strong team leader, especially with Simmons on there.
Iowaggie
AG
I don't think there is an ideal team or coach for Simmons, but if there were it would be Spoelstra or Pop. He doesn't appear to work hard or on his game, and unlike Kyrie, his teammates don't seem to like him.

This has recently been retweeted by Jonathan Givony, but it's amazing how his draft prospectus is playing out today.

For several reasons, Simmons' candidacy as the No. 1 overall prospect is in peril.

1. Simmons' lack of competitiveness in some crucial games has raised questions about his character as a basketball player. While many top picks succumb to the NBA star lifestyle and emerge as average competitors, it's rare to see that at the collegiate level. From Blake Griffin to Michael Beasley to Carmelo Anthony, those elite college players were rarely questioned about their drive during their collegiate careers. Simmons has displayed an apathy for defense, contact and delivering winning plays in crucial moments. Those troubling revelations in Simmons' game are cause for concern among decision-makers on lottery teams with whom we've had contact.

Here's what NBA teams wonder: If Simmons cares so little about winning crucial college road games at Tennessee or Kentucky that could have delivered LSU to the NCAA tournament, how much will he consistently care about competing over a far more physically and mentally draining 82-game pro season?

4. The concerns about Simmons' character didn't magically appear the moment he arrived on campus in Baton Rouge. Those sentiments also have been expressed by members of the Australian national team who have spent time with him at the junior and senior levels. Australian players and coaches who have been around him don't speak about him in flattering terms, calling him "the Yank" to highlight how different he is compared with most of the players from that country, and perhaps highlight how much moving to the United States at a young age and immersing himself in the AAU world has shaped him.

Those who know him best say he needs things to revolve around him on and off the court and that he's often been close-minded to coaching or instruction.

Harry Dunne
Guitarsoup said:

The Nets were willing to take a guy like that.

If Simmons shot 35% from 3 he'd have no shortage of takers. The issue is more with his game than with his weirdness or playoff choking.
hph6203
AG
And they're regretting it all the time.
superunknown
AG
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1451263500639145987?t=18HwykZhHz_1IO1F0YBTXA&s=19
Harry Dunne
hph6203 said:

And they're regretting it all the time.
Are they?
hph6203
AG
We talking KD, Harden or Kyrie? Kyrie they're regretting it. Harden they're probably pretty okay with. KD they're happy with.
Iowaggie
AG

Iowaggie
AG
SAS ripping Kyrie and Ben Simmons

Iowaggie
AG
Not bad, Perk.

Newport Shorts, at that.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Hahaha that's great.
OCEN99
AG
From the Inside the NBA producers:

https://streamable.com/dmub8h
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.