***NBA Playoffs Thread***

36,192 Views | 446 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
West:
Play in matchups:
7 Los Angeles Lakers vs 8 Golden State Warriors
9 Memphis Grizzlies vs 10 San Antonio Spurs

Normal Playoffs:
1 Utah Jazz vs TBD
2 Phoenix Suns vs TBD
3 Denver Nuggets vs 6 Portland Trailblazers
4 Los Angeles Clippers vs 5 Dallas Mavericks

East:
Play in matchups:
7 Boston Celtics vs 8 Washington Wizards
9 Indiana Pacers vs 10 Charlotte Hornets

Normal Playoffs:
1 Philadelphia 76ers vs TBD
2 Brooklyn Nets vs TBD
3 Milwaukee Bucks vs 6 Miami Heat
4 New York Knicks vs 5 Atlanta Hawks
Saint Pablo
I'm excited as hell. Play in games should be a blast, it really feels like things are wide open this year.
PascalsWager
AG
Should do we picks on this thread?
Iowaggie
AG
I usually do not watch EC playoff series in the early rounds, but if Wizards beat Celtics, I'm all in for watching Westbrook and Beal take on the Nets. I'm pretty sure Westbrook will pick up several triple doubles on his way to losing in 4 games, but at least he'll go down swinging.
Saint Pablo
Yes!
CFTXAG10
AG
PascalsWager said:

Should do we picks on this thread?
Here is the site we usually use each year linked below. I created the group. Password required.

Link

Group: TexAgs NBA Playoff Pick Em 2021
Password: gigem

Saint Pablo
https://fantasy.espn.com/games/nba-playoff-basketball-battle-2021/group?id=2e9af00e-e22a-44b6-9336-2d4552048293&joining=true&joinKey=09507fe6-7ac9-3181-a8be-837a0598c0f0 This is a similar deal on ESPN, it goes round by round and has some picks other than game outcomes. Feel free to join this as well, password is gigem also
Iowaggie
AG
Question to those playoff picks: Are the play-in games now part of those contests or is it only the top 8 playoffs?
CFTXAG10
AG
Iowaggie said:

Question to those playoff picks: Are the play-in games now part of those contests or is it only the top 8 playoffs?
It looks like you have to assume play in winners.
Saint Pablo
CFTXAG10 said:

Iowaggie said:

I think you can edit your selections until games tip
CFTXAG10
AG
Saint Pablo said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Iowaggie said:

Can you edit them after the play in games once we know for sure 1-8? My only concern for this is LAL
Saint Pablo
CFTXAG10 said:

Saint Pablo said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Iowaggie said:

Can you edit them after the play in games once we know for sure 1-8? My only concern for this is LAL
Not sure, but I would assume so. I noticed I can still edit mine, but I guess we will see tomorrow.
Iowaggie
AG
Saint Pablo said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Iowaggie said:

I guess I should have just done it and had my question answered. Will definitely need to edit bracket depending on outcome of playin, especially in West.
Saint Pablo
Sheesh. Cannot believe Charlotte got smacked like that.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
It's almost as if a 10-seed doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Pacers had one fewer assist than Hornets had rebounds. Charlotte should be forced to have a defense only practice after the game tonight.
Saint Pablo
Lakers-Warriors tonight
MW03
AG
That jam by Brooks
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Lakers-Warriors tonight
LeBron a sweet 1 for 7 shooting at the half.
Iowaggie
AG
Classic dual between Curry and Caruso going on.
AggieKatie2
AG
I despise Lebron...

Refs protect him and his arrogant mistakes and flails like a baby on almost every foul like he's terribly injured.
wangus12
AG
Lebron with a deep dagger
CFTXAG10
AG
That was fun

I think Golden State takes the 8 seed. What a time to be a 1&2 having to face LeBron & AD or Curry's Warriors
Saint Pablo
Dammit. Hate LeBron but he good.
Iowaggie
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

That was fun

I think Golden State takes the 8 seed. What a time to be a 1&2 having to face LeBron & AD or Curry's Warriors

Could be the first time in the history of the nba that two play in teams meet in the conference finals.
Saint Pablo
No chance.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
After the Warriors led 55-42 at halftime, I knew the Lakers would fight back. I had expected the Warriors to hang on for the win, but the Lakers outscored the Warriors 61-45 in the 2nd half. As a Warriors fan, it was heartbreaking to watch the collapse, but I believe they will beat the Grizzlies to get the last playoffs spot.
Saint Pablo
They'll beat the Grizz.
Iowaggie
AG
I can't imagine the league would be too happy with a Jazz-Grizzlies series
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Iowaggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

That was fun

Could be the first time in the history of the nba that two play in teams meet in the conference finals.
Yeah, its highly unlikely. Assuming the Warriors get the No. 8 spot, they would have to beat the Utah Jazz 4 times, and that would require at least one road win in Salt Lake City. Even if they somehow beat the Jazz, they would have to beat the winner of the Dallas Mavericks vs LA Clippers series to reach the conference finals. That would require at least one road win at Dallas or Los Angeles.

The Lakers would have to beat the Suns 4 times, and that would require at least one road win in Phoenix. Even if they somehow beat the Suns, they would have to beat the winner of the Portland Trailblazers vs Denver Nuggets series to reach the conference finals. That would require at least one road win at Portland or Denver.

As a realistic Warriors fan, I will be happy if they even push the Jazz to the limit. If they somehow win 4 games against the Jazz, I will be ecstatic. Anything can happen in the NBA playoffs. Indeed, the 42-40 No. 8 Golden State Warriors stunned the 67-15 No. 1 Dallas Mavericks 4-2 in the 1st round of the 2007 playoffs, becoming the 3rd 8th seeded team to eliminate the top seeded team from the playoffs and the first do it in a best-of-seven. However, the Utah Jazz eliminated the Warriors 4-1. The last No. 8 seed to win a first round playoff series was the 2012 Philadelphia 76ers, who upset the No. 1 Chicago Bulls 4-2. Subsequently, the Boston Celtics eliminated the Philadelphia 76ers 4-3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Philadelphia_76ers_season

NBA playoff history has shown how hard it is for the lowest playoff seeds to even win one playoff series, let alone two to reach the conference finals. That's why I believe it is very improbable for a Lakers vs Warriors conference finals.

https://www.sportscasting.com/how-many-times-has-the-no-8-seed-beaten-the-no-1-seed-in-the-nba-playoffs/
Pumpkinhead
AG
Caruso played Curry about as well as you can play him tonight. Was the 3rd most impactful guy for the Lakers tonight after AD and LeBron. He is going to get a ton of minutes this playoffs (got 30 tonight), as the Lakers are actually leaning on him quite a bit now.
94chem
Except for that rushed corner 3, AC was great down the stretch. They don't win without him.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Iowaggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

That was fun

Yeah, its highly unlikely. Assuming the Warriors get the No. 8 spot, they would have to beat the Utah Jazz 4 times, and that would require at least one road win in Salt Lake City. Even if they somehow beat the Jazz, they would have to beat the winners of the Dallas Mavericks vs LA Clippers series to reach the conference finals. That would require at least one road win at Dallas or Los Angeles.

The Lakers would have to beat the Suns 4 times, and that would require at least one road win in Phoenix. Even if they somehow beat the Suns, they would have to beat the winner of the Portland Trailblazers vs Denver Nuggets series to reach the conference finals. That would require at least one road win at Portland or Denver.

As a realistic Warriors fan, I will be happy if they even push the Jazz to the limit. If they somehow win 4 games against the Jazz, I will be ecstatic. Anything can happen in the NBA playoffs. Indeed, the 42-40 No. 8 Golden State Warriors stunned the 67-15 No. 1 Dallas Mavericks 4-2 in the 1st round of the 2007 playoffs, becoming the 3rd 8th seeded team to eliminate the top seeded team from the playoffs and the first do it in a best-of-seven. However, the Utah Jazz eliminated the Warriors 4-1. The last No. 8 seed to win a first round playoff series was the 2011 Memphis Grizzlies. who upset the No. 1 San Antonio Spurs 4-2. Subsequently, the Oklahoma City Thunder eliminated the Grizzlies 4-3.

NBA playoff history has shown how hard it is for the lowest playoff seeds to even win one playoff series, let alone win two to reach the conference finals. That's why I believe it is improbable for a Lakers vs Warriors conference finals.

I don't know who's programming this sentinent AI sports writing program, but it is really impressive.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
The last No. 8 seed to win a first round playoff series was the 2012 Philadelphia 76ers, who cruised past the No. 1 Chicago Bulls after Derrick Rose went down with an injury. Subsequently, the Boston Celtics eliminated the Philadelphia 76ers 4-3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_Philadelphia_76ers_season

I got my information from this website.

https://www.sportscasting.com/how-many-times-has-the-no-8-seed-beaten-the-no-1-seed-in-the-nba-playoffs/
Iowaggie
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Iowaggie said:

CFTXAG10 said:

That was fun

Yeah, its highly unlikely. Assuming the Warriors get the No. 8 spot, they would have to beat the Utah Jazz 4 times, and that would require at least one road win in Salt Lake City. Even if they somehow beat the Jazz, they would have to beat the winner of the Dallas Mavericks vs LA Clippers series to reach the conference finals. That would require at least one road win at Dallas or Los Angeles.

Really it was just a joke post because it can also be the first time in NBA history that the two play in teams get eliminated in the first round.

As always, I guess if one needs to explain the joke, it wasn't funny.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.