2020 UIL Basketball Tournament

3,063 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by West Texan
fightinags2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any big high school hoops fans out there?

As we are now in the area quarterfinals, soon to be at regionals, we are getting some good matchups across the state.

DFW-
I'm checking out (#4) 21-0 South Grand Prairie vs (#3)23-1 Richardson (only loss to #1 ranked Waxahachie) tomorrow. Probably as good a matchup as you can get this early in the tourney with those combined records.

Richardson has two absolute studs... Cason Wallace and Rylan Griffen.

Duncanville, Waxahachie, Lancaster, and Coppell are also all worth trying to watch if you get the chance.

East Texas-
See if you can find out how close Atlanta High School is from you. Daimion Collins is playing in 3A and is absolutely crushing teams. Hope they keep on advancing, because that would be fun to get a chance to see him play if they make their way closer to the metroplex.

Houston-
Shadow Creek is supposedly pretty awesome. Atascosita is really good as well.

Austin-
Westlake's KJ Adams is committed to Kansas and has the look. I've only seen him play once, but was pretty impressed.

Panhandle-
Amarillo is loaded this year with multiple high major players. They play Palo Duro tomorrow in Andrews, TX

El Paso-
Chapin has KJ Lewis, who is the best player to come out of EP in awhile, and he is just a sophomore, but is built like a tank, and might wind up being the best player in his class.
West Texan
AG
Amarillo is legit. They've got size and score inside, and pretty much the whole team can shoot the 3. Brendan Hausen is a fantastic shooter and offers from all over. They're not as flashy and athletic as the dfw or Houston area schools, but they're super disciplined and just don't make mistakes.
Goose
AG
I was shocked at how easily Richardson handled SGP. Cason Wallace was a man among boys that night...Griffen included.
fightinags2013
AG
Updates on some of the teams I mentioned:

DFW-
Richardson (as mentioned by Goose) smoked SGP. They'll play Byron Nelson in Prosper tonight, and i'll be attending. BN has a stud sophomore who has a TCU & Stanford offer. For sure will pick up others over the next few years. If you get a chance to see Richardson, I wouldn't pass it up. Cason Wallace and R Griffen are the real deal. They beat Duncanville last year at home in Overtime as sophomores. Would love to see A&M get in on either of these guys.

Coppell was upset early. Duncanville and Waxahachie both play schools from Cypress. IF (and that is a big if) they both win- they'll set up a HUGE matchup with a trip to the state semi-finals on the line.

In 5A, Lancaster vs Mt Plesant should be good... and if Lancaster and Kimball (who plays Highland Park in Midlothian tonight) both win- Kimball vs Lancaster would be a big showdown of district foes. Arterio Morris out of Kimball can BALL.

East Texas-
Atlanta and Daimion Collins will play in Athens, TX against 3A #1 ranked Dallas Madison on Friday at 8. If you want to get tickets, check assistant Coach De'Ron Fobb's Twitter handle. He posted the code.

Amarillo plays Mansfield Timberview tonight. & Chapin plays Mansfield Summit. KJ Lewis picked up an offer from Kansas recently. Winners of these two games will play each other with a trip to state on the line.

Anybody else catch any good games down in Houston or other parts of the state? I heard about a 5 OT game down there, but I can't think of the team names...

Goose
AG
Crazy that Duncanville vs. Waxahachie, Richardson vs. Jesuit, and Kimball vs. Lancaster are all District opponents playing in Region finals.
fightinags2013
AG
Shame that a DFW game of the decade is going to be played at Waxahachie High school in front of less than 1,200 people. 50% capacity is a little over 1k at WHS. This game should have been played at Midlothian High or a similar gym with much bigger capacity. Rumor is that they couldn't decide on a neutral site, so coin flip decided it.

I guess if I can't get into this one, i'll make an effort to get into Richardson/Jesuit at Loos, or Lancaster/Kimball (location TBA). Faith Family/Dallas Carter @ Grand Prairie High would be my big fallback option
Goose
AG
Richardson Jesuit game sold out in a heartbeat.
fightinags2013
AG
Duncanville @ Waxahachie sold out in less than 1 minute.

Wife, dad, and I were all on the page. Dad snagged 4 and I got 2. Can't believe we were able to get them
Goose
AG
Uh, that Kimball vs Lancaster game was insane.
sawemoff07
AG
Atascosita vs summer creek was a fantastic game. Traded buckets in a one point game in the last minute. Summer creek hit a potential game winner with no time left but ball left his hands just after the buzzer and it was waved off.

fightinags2013
AG

Throwing some shade at Houston. Duncanville would be the heavy favorite if they advance to the final, and Richardson only marginally so.

If you like good hoops and are in dfw, this is the place to be
Goose
AG
Neighbor got ahold of tickets for the Richardson v Duncanville game and was nice enough to invite me. Should be a great matchup.
fightinags2013
AG
That's awesome. Any word on when they might be available publicly? Haven't seen anything yet.
TheCurl84
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Shame that a DFW game of the decade is going to be played at Waxahachie High school in front of less than 1,200 people. 50% capacity is a little over 1k at WHS. This game should have been played at Midlothian High or a similar gym with much bigger capacity. Rumor is that they couldn't decide on a neutral site, so coin flip decided it.

I guess if I can't get into this one, i'll make an effort to get into Richardson/Jesuit at Loos, or Lancaster/Kimball (location TBA). Faith Family/Dallas Carter @ Grand Prairie High would be my big fallback option

Waxahachie coach is a friend, and a fantastic basketball coach. He used to coach Colleyville Heritage. One year he played DeSoto in the game that would send the winner to the regional tournament. Based on the venue it was obvious what happened.

The two coaches must have decided that it had to be a neutral gym, but that the winner of a coin flip would decide which neutral gym. And I'm sure they stipulated the gym had to be in the "metroplex".

Obviously the Heritage coach won that flip. The game was played at 6:00pm at Weatherford High School....:.the last possible outpost in the "metroplex".

It was a Tuesday night. I'm sure the DeSoto fans thought they'd easily dispose of Colleyville Heritage, so they didn't bother with the trouble of getting to Weatherford. Gym was filled with Colleyville people. Heritage pulled the upset.
"God help us to respond reasonably and love irrationally, not the other way around."

-Brian Moss
fightinags2013
AG
That's awesome. He is a great coach and you can tell the players really like him. And FWIW they put in way more than 50% in there last Friday. Eye test said closer to 85%

A few years ago they played Midlothian in the playoffs and he didn't even bother flipping a coin. He just said they'd play at Midlothian, because he knew it would be 50/50 Waxahachie fans anyways.
fightinags2013
AG
Richardson/Duncanville at SMU Tuesday night sold out in under 15 minutes
Wicked Good Ag
I got to see another angle on the last second shot in Atascoita game

good call by the official

Duncanville vs Richardson could be one of the better games in last few years

Goose
AG
I hadn't seen Duncanville play this year until last night. But having seen them several times last year (and fully expecting them to win the state championship had it not been cancelled) I couldn't help but wonder if they were as good after losing Peavy.

They wasted no time in proving they're even better than last year. Zero holes in their lineup on offense or defense. With I think 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter they'd given up 37 points to a Richardson team averaging about 66/game throughout the playoffs. Impressive group. I'll be more than a little impressed if Westlake can avenge that loss early in the season, but I'll sure tune in to see if they can.
Goose
AG
If Kimball pulls off a win tonight against 30-0 Beaumont United it'll be a survive-and-advance story for the ages. United has been absolutely destroying opponents all season, playoffs included, so it'll be a huge task though.

Kimball only went 7-4 in District finishing second to Lancaster who went 16-0 (no surprise there) to win 5A Dist 12. But Kimball came into the playoffs with 8 losses and has been challenged in just about every game:

• Round 1 win over Wilson by 13, but then...
  • 6 pt win over a very good Frisco Wakeland team (23-3 to that point and TABC had ranked 18th in 5A
  • 4 pt win over South Oak Cliff who had already beaten them earlier in the year
  • 11 pt win over Highland Park that was a 2 pt game at half and HP was only down 5 at the end of 3
  • 1 pt OT win over Lancaster including coming from 18 down to start the 4th just to tie it. Lancaster was ranked #1 in 5A and had already beaten them twice in District, one time by 24 pts.
  • 4 pt OT win over Amarillo who was ranked 6th in 5A

It'd be a heck of a story if they can pull it off!

*For comparison, BU comes into the title game ranked #2 in 5A, has outscored their playoff opponents by an average of 20.8 ppg, and has only had one single digit win - a 5 pt win over Manvel who was 21-2 at the time and ranked 7th in 5A by TABC. (Their semifinal game was a 25 pt blowout of Glenn HS (Leander).
West Texan
AG
The ending of the 1A final earlier was awesome! Texline was up 12 going into the 4th, then Slidell went on a 16-0 run to take the lead. Texline down 2 and their best player stepped into a 3 and drilled it to win by 1.

Here's the final shot.
fightinags2013
AG
Yeah that Texline game was great.

This SA Cole/Tatum 3A game is looking like a snoozer. 61-37 with 7:44 to play in the 4th.
Cole has two juniors who are playing well and I remember both of them playing as freshman in the state semifinals in 2019. Vince Iwuchuckwu would be on their team, but transferred to a prep school.

One thing to note about Kimball, is that during this marginal run, they haven't even been leaning super heavy on stud player Arterio Morris. That or he just hasn't been putting up big numbers. Makes it even more surprising.
West Texan
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Yeah that Texline game was great.

This SA Cole/Tatum 3A game is looking like a snoozer. 61-37 with 7:44 to play in the 4th.
Cole has two juniors who are playing well and I remember both of them playing as freshman in the state semifinals in 2019. Vince Iwuchuckwu would be on their team, but transferred to a prep school.

One thing to note about Kimball, is that during this marginal run, they haven't even been leaning super heavy on stud player Arterio Morris. That or he just hasn't been putting up big numbers. Makes it even more surprising.

Those two guards for Cole are legit. They had zero issues with Tatum's press.
West Texan
AG
That Kimball Beaumont United game was crazy! Kid for United hits a 3 with 1 second left in the 4th to tie and send it to over time. Then the same kid hit another 3 with about 1 second left in OT to win it 71-70! Awesome game!
PhatMack19
AG
Kid is legit. First shot was unreal.

fightinags2013
AG
What a great game last night.

Anyone watch the 2A game this morning?

4A starts at 2, and 6A is at 7 tonight.
fightinags2013
AG
Zhuric Phelps is that dude. Won't be surprised if he is SMU's best player by his soph year. Impressive.

Duncanville struggled a bit in the first half, but turned it on late. Westlake made it a competitive game, but it wasn't enough.
West Texan
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Zhuric Phelps is that dude. Won't be surprised if he is SMU's best player by his soph year. Impressive.

Duncanville struggled a bit in the first half, but turned it on late. Westlake made it a competitive game, but it wasn't enough.

Westlake had no one that could stay in front of Phelps and he's a hell of a finisher at the rim. Dude could go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.