NBA Suspends Season

12,959 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Iowaggie
jm94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The NBA announced that a player on the Utah Jazz has preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19. The test result was reported shortly prior to the tip-off of tonight's game between the Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena. At that time, tonight's game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena.

The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight's schedule of games until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.
azul_rain
Holy ****
W
AG
work load management.

everyone will be fresh for the playoffs!
suburban cowboy
AG
This is all Daryl Morey's fault
toucan82
I like that they're still playing tonight's games
True Anomaly
AG
Congrats to the NBA Champion Mavericks, the last winners of the 2019-20 NBA season
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Wonder what kind of Vlegas odds you could have gotten on Boban scoring the last points of the 2019-2020 season? (Assuming the rest of the season is canceled.)

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
azul_rain
Damn
MookieBlaylock
AG
Que?
Matsui
AG
Why would he post that. Haha.
LawHall88
AG
AggieOO
LawHall88 said:

I'll watch if it is Jordan vs Bird.

BMX Bandit

This thing needs much bigger names if they want people to watch
CactusThomas
AG
I will watch anything right now.

I mean, not when the WNBA players are up, but anyone else.
BMX Bandit
25 day return plan once they decide to come back

11 days workouts

14 days training camp.

Seems excessive.
LawHall88
AG
BMX Bandit said:

This thing needs much bigger names if they want people to watch
jeffdjohnson
Seems to me that there are some cities with no real community spread of COVID-19 (i.e. flattened curve). I don't see why the NBA can't go with the bubble idea to finish this thing off.

Scrap the regular season. Bring the 16 playoff teams into the bubble. 1 week training camp with 1 week scrimmage (maybe #1 East vs #8 West, #2 East vs #7 West, etc...). Playoffs start after 2 weeks with the first round best of 5. Games every other day. Daily testing of players while in the bubble. They could churn through the whole thing in 8-10 weeks. Too much money at stake not to try it. Plus think how entertaining the first round would be. 4 games everyday, probably starting at 11 a.m. local time til 11 p.m. local time. March madness style.
TyHolden
AG
Talk of reopening practice facilities. Could we have nba/mlb season?
W
AG
feels like the NBA is running out of time.

it's been 53 days since a game was played.

there won't be any games in the month of May. So there will be a minimum of 81 days without games.

and ultimately if the league is going to just cancel the games if any player or coach tests positive during the playoffs...they shouldn't bother to restart. Gotta have a plan to continue the playoffs despite a positive test
Isaih Smollett
when will they just announce the season's over?
BMX Bandit
CactusThomas
AG
Lol
Dan Scott
AG
Stop showing us Cavs at Warriors game 7!!! There are more classic games that this
Isaih Smollett
what do you expect out of a league in love with china
jeffdjohnson
W said:

feels like the NBA is running out of time.

it's been 53 days since a game was played.

there won't be any games in the month of May. So there will be a minimum of 81 days without games.

and ultimately if the league is going to just cancel the games if any player or coach tests positive during the playoffs...they shouldn't bother to restart. Gotta have a plan to continue the playoffs despite a positive test

Adam Silver is thinking the same way. It is risky because there is a chance that a team could lose multiple players at once and put an asterisk on the playoffs. At the same time, if they test everyone on game days then they can be reasonably confident that no one is spreading it during the games.

I think it is going to happen. Probably starting up mid-June with the playoffs in July and August. I think this will also permanently reset the NBA calendar to a Christmas day start. That is something that made sense to me. Let the NFL have the fall. Logistics aren't the problem, it is just balancing the risk vs. the money involved. At this point, the money is going to win out.
Iowaggie
AG
I think the playoff rosters will need to expand to regular roster + 5-10 G-League guys.

I think the better (but unrealistic) solution would be to have the 16 teams hold a draft where they select willing players from the 14 non-playoff teams as COVID-19 Reserve Players that you could use only one time if rostered players are sick. Have the draft go 8 -10 rounds and based on #1 seed getting #1 pick

Based on current records:

1. Bucks select Steph Curry
2. Lakers select Dame Lillard
3. Raptors select DeMar DeRozan
4. Clippers select Bradley Beal
5. Celtics select CJ McCollum
6. Nuggets select Derrick Rose who then gets injured
7. Jazz select Devin Booker
8. Heat select La'Marcus Aldridge
9. OKC select Brandon Ingram
10. Rockets select KAT
11. Pacers select Zach LaVine
12. Sixers select Draymond Green
13. Mavs select Andrew Wiggins
14. Grizzlies select Kevin Love to undo the OJ Mayo trade
15. Nets select Julius Randle
16. Magic select Jrue Holiday

17. Bucks select Buddy Hield
18. Lakers select DeJonte Murray
19. Raptors select Davis Bertrans
20. Clippers select John Collins
21. Celtics select Christian Wood
22. Nuggets select Mitchell Robinson
23. Jazz select Marquese Chrissss
24. Heat select Ricky Rubio
25. OKC select Larry Nance Jr.
26. Rockets select Elfrid Payton
27. Pacers select Nemanja Bjelica
28. Sixers select JJ Reddick
29. Mavs select Kelly Oubre Jr
30. Grizzlies select Rudy Gay
31. Nets select Colin Sexton
32. Magic select Bobby Portis

..meh...thought that unrealistic exercise would be more enjoyable. It really wasn't.
Isaih Smollett
NBA so scared they'll end up picking up this season next march to make one 2019-21 season
W
AG
that would be a good idea to go ahead and permanently start the season on Christmas Day each year.

it's better to compete against MLB in July & August...than the NFL & college football in November & most of December
BMX Bandit
Quote:

..meh...thought that unrealistic exercise would be more enjoyable. It really wasn't.

I've done that many times
45-70Ag
AG
I think the players will kill any chance of a season.
Iowaggie
AG
I feel like the WNBA missed out on a big opportunity by not playing.
Games with no crowds seems like a non-issue for that league, and people might have been so desperate for sports on TV, they could have gotten an audience.....until other sports started, of course.
NoahAg
Iowaggie said:

Games with no crowds seems like a non-issue for that league, and people might have been so desperate for sports on TV, they could have gotten an audience.....until other sports started, of course.

I'd rather watch my 11 year old throw bricks on our Lifetime goal in the driveway than subject myself to the WNBA.
Seven Costanza
AG
Iowaggie said:

Nobody is that bored.
CactusThomas
AG
I don't know you from Adam but I'd bet we would all rather watch your kids shoot bricks than WNBA.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.