Luka

18,839 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
41-12-11 tonight in Mexico.
True Anomaly
AG
txagman1998
AG
I was wondering this week why the league had to send Dallas to Mexico City midweek for a game, then I saw a video of Luca greeting the crowd in Spanish. The fact that the Mavs now have an emerging superstar who is fluent in both English and Spanish is a marketing and public relations dream, both for the team and the league.
94chem
txagman1998 said:

I was wondering this week why the league had to send Dallas to Mexico City midweek for a game, then I saw a video of Luca greeting the crowd in Spanish. The fact that the Mavs now have an emerging superstar who is fluent in both English and Spanish is a marketing and public relations dream, both for the team and the league.

Now if they can just keep Daryl Morey from supporting a border wall...
WES2006AG
AG
94chem said:

txagman1998 said:

Now if they can just keep Daryl Morey from supporting a border wall...
Southlake
Starting to whine a bit too much.

Love him, but shut up!
PatAg
AG
Southlake said:

Starting to whine a bit too much.

Love him, but shut up!
nah
vzag
AG
(Rockets fan here)

I still can't believe that Luka dropped to the 3rd pick after being the MVP of the 2nd (EuroLeague) and 3rd (Liga ACB) best leagues in the world at age 19
Danny Vermin
Yeah, we also can't believe how lucky we got that three other teams didn't see this happening, although, I'm betting Atlanta is not too sad about Young.
vzag
AG
He was clearly the biggest "can't miss" prospect since Anthony Davis, those GMs just outsmarted themselves

Young is going to be a perennial All-NBA player, but Atlanta is going to get questioned if Reddish ends up being a bust
Post removed:
by user
The Shank Ag
aggie_fan13
AG
i really wish luka was a spur
M.C. Swag
AG
azulAg said:

i really wish luka was a spur
I dont
Ol Jock 99
AG
The Shank Ag said:

I'm 6'6". I know a handful of guys taller than me. None that make me feel small though.

Luka is 6'7". And Boban makes him look like a little kid.
MW03
AG

Another NBA first
MW03
AG

fat girlfriend
Reminds me of Larry.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Reminds me of Harden.
Kellso
Luka reminds me of an un-athletic Lebron.

I don't see the Harden comparisons at all. James Harden is an incredible shooter.

Luka reminds me of young Lebron because they were pretty impossible to stop if they got in the paint near the rim, but their outside shooting still leaves something to be desired.

I don't really see the Larry Bird comparisons either except for the fact they are both White. Luka misses way too many free throws to be compared to Bird at this point in time.

awrollins
Kellso said:

I don't see the Harden comparisons at all. James Harden is an incredible shooter.

Luka reminds me of young Lebron because they were pretty impossible to stop if they got in the paint near the rim, but their outside shooting still leaves something to be desired.

I don't really see the Larry Bird comparisons either except for the fact they are both White. Luka misses way too many free throws to be compared to Bird at this point in time.

People compare Luka to Harden because of how each controls the game and essentially creates almost every shot for their team. Also, the constants step backs from each help. But you make a really valid point.
MW03
AG
Kellso said:

Here's Jalen Rose talking about it. Interesting points.

hph6203
AG
The Bird comparisons are on skill on the court, not at the line. Passing and shooting and ball handling. It's not a perfect comparison. The way Luka plays is very Euro/soccer style and he does it better than pretty much anyone. His shooting will come around with effort and balance on the team.
Kellso
hph6203 said:

The Bird comparisons are on skill on the court, not at the line. Passing and shooting and ball handling. It's not a perfect comparison. The way Luka plays is very Euro/soccer style and he does it better than pretty much anyone. His shooting will come around with effort and balance on the team.
I just don't see Larry Bird at all. No one would compare them if Bird was black.

Bird's biggest skill was his incredible shooting ability. Everything else was gravy on top of that.

Luka skillset IMO closely aligns to Lebron. The Tall Point Forward whose size gives him advantages over smaller defenders. They can both can do anything that a traditional point guard can do, as well as grab a number of rebounds.

Lebron didn't really become an above average shooter until later in his career....which is how I see Luka.

One thing that Luka lacks which other great White players had (Bird, Dirk, Nash) is being a 90% plus free throw shooter.
You will win a lot of games if your best player is almost automatic from the line in late game situations. The Mavs have lost so many tight games this year because they did not close the game away at the free throw line.

If Luka can become 85% + from the free throw line and over 35% from 3 he will be a scary, scary player.
PatAg
AG
Luka seems most similar to Harden of anyone in the league.
MW03
AG
I think you discount the fact that Bird was playing the 3-4 and was good for 7 assists a game.
hph6203
AG
Late career bird was more of a shooter, but the thing that made Bird on the level that he achieved was a combination of his shooting abilities and the creativity in passing/controlling the defense and making them do what he wanted them to do.

Watch this highlight, it shows more of what Bird did than just being the first guy to go 50/40/90.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Basketball IQ through the roof
Good, not great athlete
Knows how to control and use body
Moves around the court effortlessly thanks to ELITE footwork and change of momentum/direction
Great passer, great court vision
Good three point shooter, not great
Tremendous finisher, especially through contact
Plays with some flash/flare
Has the tools (IQ, footwork, size) to be a good defender if he wanted to be
Underrated rebounder

So pretty much a James Harden clone IMO. Bird I can see because of natural basketball skill level and high basketball IQ, but I do think it's a lazy comparison sometimes just because they're both white. Somebody said LeBron earlier and...I can't see that like at all; like no similarities maybe outside of court vision.
MW03
AG

hph6203
AG
azul_rain
is the nba trying to take out luka ? why is he so hated by players ? cause hes white ?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
lolwut
azul_rain
shaq wont give him credit, montrez calls him a ***** ass white boy, then scumbag marcus morris steps on his hurt ankle
MW03
AG
Luka isn't hated. LAC is scared of him, though. They came in thinking if they bodied him and chirped, he'd crumble. Instead, he put up a singular performance. Now Morris is trying to do Morris things because he knows he can't check him. So he's going to try and take Luka out. It's been Morris' stick as long as he's been in the NBA.
MW03
AG
Shaq is Shaq. He's loyal, and close to guys Luka is being compared to. You go to Shaq for the funny, not for anything remotely meaningful about basketball.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.