****Zion Williamson Rookie Season Thread****

7,531 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He won't stay healthy doing what he does at his size.
Obi Wan Ginobili
I thought this thread was stupid and unnecessary when I saw it, but I told myself to quit being a grumpy ass hat.

Now I realized I was right.
AnimalA10
AG
Needs to drop a few.

Guitarsoup
AG
Matsui
AG
Welp. That sucks.
AG@RICE
AG
I've always thought the best comparison for Zion is Blake Griffin. Zion is a bit bigger, but they have similar skill sets and thrive off the same kind of touches. Before you laugh/criticize too much, remember that Blake's rookie/sophomore season was like a Sportcenter highlight parade. Early in his career Blake was even discussed as a future HOFer. This knee injury just strengthens the comparison between the 2 players.
M.C. Swag
AG
AG@RICE said:

I've always thought the best comparison for Zion is Blake Griffin. Zion is a bit bigger, but they have similar skill sets and thrive off the same kind of touches. Before you laugh/criticize too much, remember that Blake's rookie/sophomore season was like a Sportcenter highlight parade. Early in his career Blake was even discussed as a future HOFer. This knee injury just strengthens the comparison between the 2 players.
That's a pretty common comparison. No one would laugh at it.

And if Zion has the career that Griffin has, it'll be a good one. Griffin not getting the credit he deserves for re-inventing his game because he's hidden in detroit haha.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Griffin is a good comparison. I liken him to early-career Charles Barkley as well. Regardless of his lack of height for his position and his extra bulk, he played with such a high motor that he was regularly beating guys that he had no business beating.

I hope Zion does well, it's hard not to like a guy who clearly loves playing. Two years ago he was having to play with 4 stiffs in a private school league that he probably could have averaged 80 points a game in if they had wanted him to. Great to see him elevate his level of play as the level of competition goes up. So many guys can't do that. But if he tries to play at 285, forget making it in the league 10 years.
TREX01
Bust
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Had to bump this to eat some crow. Once he got hurt I figured he'd be a Greg Oden or something similar, but jeez I just watched him rip Portland a new one tonight.
31 points, rebounds, 5 assists.

averaging 19.8 and 7.5 in his first 9 games, and New Orleans has won 5 of its last 7.
CactusThomas
AG
He good
Pumpkinhead
AG
Good article recently on the Ringer, Zion's advanced metrics are off the charts. If he stays healthy, going to be amazing to watch for next decade. Kid is already destroying the NBA vets at 19 years old and just a handful of games into his career. They just bounce off him as he goes to the rim or he just flat out jumps them.
Ulrich
He's damn good and I always thought he would be... but the Greg Oden comparison is still in play. Zion has still only played 9 games. I don't consider guys whose careers were ended by injuries to be busts, not in the same way as players who were healthy but simply not good enough.
Pumpkinhead
AG
32 points and 6 rebounds in 31 minutes of playing time vs Thunder last night. He can get to 30+ points in a game pretty easily despite almost all his shots happening within 3 feet of the rim. Rep1
Iowaggie
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.