****Zion Williamson Rookie Season Thread****

7,473 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Iowaggie
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The most heavily anticipated NBA rookie since...Durant? LeBron?

Uniquely built, insanely athletic and entertaining player with a relentless motor, how about we chronicle the highlights of Zion's rookie season here. The good, bad, or ugly.

Here is the first highlight of Zion's rookie season to start this thread, in his first summer league game, Zion destroys the career of the Knick's Kevin Knox...abusing him the way a 16 year old boy playing hoops in his driveway might abuse his 5 year old brother.

Olsen
AG
... and he's done.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
My wife:

well that didn't last long
Petrino1
Durant wasn't hyped this much coming out of college. He had a lot of question marks about his strength and if his style of play would translate to the NBA since he was so Skinny. People thought he would be good, but not top 5 NBA player good. He was even chosen #2 behind Greg Oden.

I think Zion is the most hyped player since lebron. I can't remember a player ever getting this much coverage before playing an nba game besides lebron. Personally, I don't think he's going to live up to the hype. He won't be able to dunk over everyone in the nba like he did in College. He doesn't seem to have many other offensive weapons besides dunking. I think he will be an all star level type player, but not top 5 superstar like the hype would suggest.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Is he going to lose about 20 lbs preseason or is it going to come off during? Carrying 285 pounds over 82 games at 6 ft 7 is begging to get hurt.
PatAg
AG
There should be questions on if he can do more than dunk in the NBA, imo.
Guitarsoup
Isaih Smollett
seeing his 3 point shots blocked twice isn't encouraging
Iowaggie
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

My wife:

well that didn't last long

We've all heard that from our wives.
MookieBlaylock
AG
9 minutes is a long time
mAgnoliAg
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

Beignet SZN in full effect.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
He will be a bust
NoahAg
O'Doyle Rules said:

He will be a bust
I don't think he'll be a bust, but I don't think he'll reach the hype he's gotten.

He'll produce some highlight reel moments, but will peak early in his career. I just don't think his game is built for a long, sustainable career.
Guitarsoup
AG
Zion signed with Jordan Brand
amercer
AG
He seems like an incredible power forward, in a game that doesn't use power forwards anymore.

I'm a Lakers fan, but I'm not even that excited about AD because big men seem pretty irrelevant these days.

Zion is fun to watch though, and he seems like he's having a good time.
Guitarsoup
AG
95mm guaranteed dollars before playing a game in the NBA
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Would have liked to see him go with Nike or someone else to get his own line in a few years. Giannis just became what, like only the 5th current player to have his own signature shoe with Nike? Zion could have easily been next in line with his marketability.
CactusThomas
AG
Didn't Nike try to assassinate him in college?
CactusThomas
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I mean that's what he gets for playing in shoes designed for Paul George. With his play style, he should be playing in Lebrons or something more heavy duty.
CactusThomas
AG
Like some Hakeem Spaldings or the Shaqnosis
CactusThomas
AG
Anta or gtfo
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/7/25/20726562/zion-williamson-nba-duke-new-orleans-pelicans

Zion preview
Pumpkinhead
AG
Williamson scored 29 points last night vs the Bulls without making a single outside shot.

What a unique player. His athleticism is so off the chart it makes most of the other NBA players look like 'average' athletes. Is my bet on leading the league in made dunks this season.

M.C. Swag
AG
He's gonna be fun AF to watch
Pumpkinhead
AG
The TexAgs posters on here who opined Zion was overrated as a #1 draft pick, any of those posters want to change that opinion before his rookie season officially starts?

Zion Williamson is having one of the best pre-seasons in NBA history
https://www.theringer.com/nba-preview/2019/10/17/20918102/zion-williamson-nba-new-orleans-pelicans

Watch Zion bully Rudy Gobert.

Seven Costanza
AG
I assumed he would be very good, but was highly skeptical of the LeBron/Durant-type hype. He's looking really good, though.

He really has no comps. There's never been anyone like him.
PatAg
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

The TexAgs posters on here who opined Zion was overrated as a #1 draft pick, any of those posters want to change that opinion before his rookie season officially starts?

Zion Williamson is having one of the best pre-seasons in NBA history
https://www.theringer.com/nba-preview/2019/10/17/20918102/zion-williamson-nba-new-orleans-pelicans

Watch Zion bully Rudy Gobert.

no offense, but preseason doesn't mean anything, and never has.
M.C. Swag
AG
No offense, but those plays against Rudy Gobert (the reigning DPOY) mean something.

Zion showing great touch around the rim. His explosiveness and quickness is going to be a problem for defenders. He's like a baby-Shaq.
Carlo4
AG
Zion is now out a few weeks with a knee injury. Not serious, but needs time off.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27872589/sources-pelicans-rookie-zion-williamson-knee-expected-miss-weeks
BlackLab
AG
Can't stay healthy. Hurt at Duke, summer league, and now pre season.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Eye-Test in pre-season games where a guy like Gobert bounced off him like a rag doll absolutely meant something. He went around or through NBA players including several grown man vets same as he had done in college.

He is obviously a very special, unique force of nature.

Only thing that can stop him from being a top-30 player in the NBA THIS season as a rookie IMO is the knee stuff. Can his knees be durable carrying that body and doing the amazing athletic things that he does?
BlackLab
AG
Out 6-8 weeks after having knee surgery.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.