Alvin Gentry

1,762 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Iowaggie
SilverTongueDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.nba.com/pelicans/pelicans-sign-head-coach-alvin-gentry-contract-extension

How does this guy still have a job much less getting an extension?

I've watched Gentry for years and he is loser as a head coach (2 winning seasons in 16 years).

I have no doubt he is a great assistant but there is no way that I would entrust a young and possibly very talented Pelicans team with a future to him.
GrayMatter
AG
And then you wonder why the Unibrow wanted out of NO. He saw the writing on the wall and drafting Zion isn't really going to help them as long as Gentry is their Head Coach.

If I'm reading between the lines, they're giving him a long enough leash to see what he can do with a talented roster otherwise they're gonna kick him to curb which is probably what's gonna end up happening.
Iowaggie
AG
I think the Pelicans are on a tight budget by an owner governor who prefers football to basketball, and I'm guessing they have Gentry on a cheap contract.

Gentry has had AD, but the roster around him has either been injured, not that good or constantly changing. There's just been some real interesting characters down there with AD and Gentry: Eflrid Payton, DeMarcus Cousins, Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson, Tyreke Evans, Kendrick Perkins, Nate Robinson, etc.

Jrue Holiday/Julius Randle/AD/E'Twaun Moore/Elfrid Payton/Mirotic/Jason Smith is OK, but not great, especially with such little depth (and they had they trade in February).

The year before they went through 23 guys on the roster that included Rondo & DeMarcus.
The year before that they went through 26 guys on the roster (replace Rondo above with Tyreke "Suspended" Evans and Lance Stephenson).

There's also been guys there that played pretty big minutes for the Pelicans that don't get a lot of minutes when on playoff teams: Dante Cunningham, Ryan Anderson, James Ennis, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.