RIP John Havlicek

1,544 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CactusThomas
EKUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Died this evening at age 79.

Part of the Celtic teams with Bill Russell. Named on of the 50 greatest players in NBA history.
AgPediRPh
AG
Plus, arguably the most famous call in basketball history: Havlicek steals it!
Ferg
Was drafted by the OLD Cleveland Browns, even though he didn't play football at Ohio State.

OldArmy71
AG
I grew up a big fan of the Celtics in the early 60s (though my favorite player was Wilt). In those days, there was one NBA game a week on TV (only three channels), and it was usually the Celtics against somebody.

Loved seeing Havlicek play.

He played long enough into the 70s that I got to see him more as the NBA got more coverage.
pdaddy
AG
RIP Hondo.

One of my heroes as a kid. I was fortunate to grow up a mile and a half from the Boston Garden and either watched or listened to all the Celtics games with famous broadcaster Johnny Most calling the plays on the radio. Those were fun times in Boston with Hondo, Cowens, JoJo White and the rest.
pdaddy
AG
in 1986 I had a chance to meet the great JERRY West and I said to him "Jerry, you were phenomenal but my favorite player was John Havlicek, and Jerry smiled and said John is one of my all time favorites too."
Ferg
NCAA champion on a team with Jerry Lucas and Bobby Knight.

8 NBA Titles.

All time Celtic Leader in Points, Games and Minutes played.

In the 1976 NBA Finals he played 58 minutes of a 63 minute overtime against the Suns at age 36 in what was called the greatest NBA game of all time. There were no 3 pointers then and zone defense was illegal, some teams tried to mask it but the Celtics didn't even use it.
CactusThomas
AG
Hondo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.