end of an era

4,595 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggie_fan13
aggie_fan13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
no more duncan and dirk, kobe and wade, shaq and bosh, manu and tmac. pierce, nash, kidd, wallace ,richardson, nash, carter , garnett etc... i pray the nba will one day have as many greats playing at the same time again. my childhood is dead. RIP
fightinags2013
AG
Those guys will be missed, but The league is in good hands right now with guys either in their prime, or still at least fairly young.

Giannis, Harden, Steph, KD, Westbrook, A Davis, and Lillard just to name a few. If a star (Zion?) can land in NY or Chicago that'll be good for the league long term.

Also this year's rookie class is special, and we get Zion next year.
Post removed:
by user
BassCowboy33
MyNameIsKyle said:

Frankly, that's an era only Gen x and early gen y will miss. Sure, there are some great players, but the nba's current talent pool is probably the greatest of all time. May not be quite as top heavy, but overall it's better, IMO.
Born in '87, so I likely fall into this criteria. I'll miss the former far more than I miss any of the current batch of players.

I'm not sure we'll ever see players as unselfish as guys like Robinson, Olajuwon, Jordan, Duncan, or Nowitzki ever again. It's possible the league could come back around to more team-oriented, well-rounded basketball. But the younger half of millennials and into Gen Z--and, honestly, most casual fans--prefer the iso-chuck-up-threes type game we have today. It's less substance but has far more flash and pizzazz than the game most of us grew up on. It's really just about what type of basketball you prefer.
SquirrellyDan
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

MyNameIsKyle said:

Frankly, that's an era only Gen x and early gen y will miss. Sure, there are some great players, but the nba's current talent pool is probably the greatest of all time. May not be quite as top heavy, but overall it's better, IMO.
Born in '87, so I likely fall into this criteria. I'll miss the former far more than I miss any of the current batch of players.

I'm not sure we'll ever see players as unselfish as guys like Robinson, Olajuwon, Jordan, Duncan, or Nowitzki ever again. It's possible the league could come back around to more team-oriented, well-rounded basketball. But the younger half of millennials and into Gen Z--and, honestly, most casual fans--prefer the iso-chuck-up-threes type game we have today. It's less substance but has far more flash and pizzazz than the game most of us grew up on. It's really just about what type of basketball you prefer.
People who grew up watching the era with Bird, Magic, early Jordan, Kareem, Worthy, Thomas, McHale, etc. I'm sure felt similar when all those guys were on their way out. The game evolves...personally I hope we go back to focusing on post ups and an inside-out game, but I also appreciate the crazy things guys are doing today. 7 footers dribbling and shooting threes is awesome to watch.
94chem
Hate losing Beltre and Dirk the same year.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Is Vince Carter the last active player to be drafted from the 90's after this season?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
azulAg said:

no more duncan and dirk, kobe and wade, shaq and bosh, manu and tmac. pierce, nash, kidd, wallace ,richardson, nash, carter , garnett etc... i pray the nba will one day have as many greats playing at the same time again. my childhood is dead. RIP
This is basically everyone who was good on the first NBA2K. Just missing Iverson.
WES2006AG
AG
azulAg said:

Sounds like you really miss Steve Nash.
aggie_fan13
AG
underrated. deserved a better career. good guy all around
Iowaggie
AG
Question: Why would the league not put Dirk and Wade at home for game 82? It's not like there are a bunch of iconic players in the league and they wouldn't know this might happen? This isn't like Vince Carter finishing out his career on his 8th team. I know there are a lot of factors, but it's kind of a bummer that they have 1 more game to play and it's in Brooklyn and SA. At least for Dirk it is a meaningful opponent.
Iowaggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Is Vince Carter the last active player to be drafted from the 90's after this season?

Yes, and there aren't a lot left from early 2000s draft.

2000 - Jamal Crawford
2001 - T Parker, Pau, Tyson Chandler
2002 - Nene & U Haslem
2003 - Korver, (Wade), Calderon, Lebron, Carmelo?, Zaza

Could be missing guys there
Seven Costanza
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

It's possible the league could come back around to more team-oriented, well-rounded basketball. But the younger half of millennials and into Gen Z--and, honestly, most casual fans--prefer the iso-chuck-up-threes type game we have today. It's less substance but has far more flash and pizzazz than the game most of us grew up on. It's really just about what type of basketball you prefer.
In the 90's, you literally could clear out an entire half of the half-court and play one-on-one with the illegal defense rules. It was an incredibly unsophisticated game with several unskilled, plodding players out there just fouling the hell out of each other.

Outside of Houston, there is quite a bit more ball movement now and it's difficult to stay in the league if you aren't skilled.
94chem
Those Phoenix teams with KJ, Thunder Dan, and Sir Charles were a fun style to watch...but yeah, for the most part the Bulls never had to deal with teams that played an open game. Those years with Nash, Van Exell, and Dirk going against Sacramento and Phoenix (with Nash and Stoudamire) really made the NBA interesting again.
jschroeder

Quote:

1 more game to play and it's in Brooklyn and SA. At least for Dirk it is a meaningful opponent.
Should have been SA next to last game and Dallas for last game.

I don't think we hated Dirk even during the prime SA v Dallas years.
MW03
AG
The thing that sucks most is that the end of this era is the end of the old NBA mentality about winning one for your city with your guys.

Kobe - 20 years with the lakers
Duncan - 19 years with the spurs
Dirk - 21 years with the mavs
Stockton - 19 years with the jazz
Miller - 18 seasons with the pacers
Manu - 16 seasons with the spurs

I know these guys are all exceptions, but even others spent 8-12 years with a single team. It made it fun to root for your guy to win one and against other guys you saw year in and year out. Now with all the team switching and super teams, you almost have to be a fan of the player over the team because you have no idea how "loyal" he's going to be.
aggie_fan13
AG
Never hated dirk the way I used to hate kobe. Looking back I respect them both, great adversaries. Hated playing both teams come playoffs. Knew it was gonna be a battle. Great. Basketball
Seven Costanza
AG
My memory of the '93 Suns is clearing out one side of the court and watching Barkley back his defender down starting way out at the 3-point line.

Similar thing with Mark Jackson with Indiana/New York.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
MW03 said:

The thing that sucks most is that the end of this era is the end of the old NBA mentality about winning one for your city with your guys.

I know these guys are all exceptions, but even others spent 8-12 years with a single team. It made it fun to root for your guy to win one and against other guys you saw year in and year out. Now with all the team switching and super teams, you almost have to be a fan of the player over the team because you have no idea how "loyal" he's going to be.
This is why Russell Westbrook is my favorite active non-Rocket NBA player.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

MW03 said:

This is why Russell Westbrook is my favorite active non-Rocket NBA player.
Olajuwon is still my all time favorite player, but I hate that this is the last jersey he wore.

WES2006AG
AG
I know you have provided photographic evidence but I am still choosing to suppress those memories.
jeffdjohnson
azulAg said:

I think there are just as many great players in the league now (and still coming up) that there were in the late 90's/2000's. The big difference is that I've changed, not the league. Now I am in my 30's and will never have that same level of fandom or emotional attachment to a player that I did as a 10 year old. I am happy about the Mavs getting Luka and excited to watch his career, but it isn't the same attachment when you have 2 kids and a mortgage. However there is some 10 year in the DFW metroplex watching Luka right now who will type out the same "end of an era" message in 15-20 years when Luka/Zion/Alex Caruso/etc... retire. Circle of life.
aggie_fan13
AG
i agree there is talent but there is almost little to no attachment. loyalty to an organization doesnt mean much anymore i guess
claym711
AG
Current NBA inspires zero fan passion from me. Bunch of guys that are just buddies, for the most part, hopping from team to team. Current rules make for uninteresting 3pt contests. t's also heavily political, image driven.
mazag08
AG
Dirk will definitely be missed. In his prime, there wasn't a single player who could challenge him on his pull-up fade away shot. It was lethal, and a lot of current players modeled their shooting after him.
Bulldog73
AG
Yeah, I remember praying that T-Mac could D him up due to length and athleticism. Of course, that would've required staying healthy and effort on the defensive end, even then Dirk was other worldly with his post game.
HossAg
AG
azulAg said:

i agree there is talent but there is almost little to no attachment. loyalty to an organization doesnt mean much anymore i guess

That's because orgs don't give a **** either. Isaiah Thomas getting traded by the Celtics should be a prime example for every player these days to do what's best for them.
aggie_fan13
AG
I agree, the way the clippers handled Blake was pathetic
Iowaggie
AG
HossAg said:

azulAg said:

That's because orgs don't give a **** either. Isaiah Thomas getting traded by the Celtics should be a prime example for every player these days to do what's best for them.
Should the Celtics have kept Thomas instead of trading for Kyrie?

The charge to build as good of franchise as possible is the duty of the organization.

I have no issue with players (or teams) doing what ever is in their best interest when dealing with contracts.
HossAg
AG
Didn't say either party should be loyal, just pointing out that players aren't loyal to orgs anymore for a reason.
CactusThomas
AG
But IT was a stupid example. Celtics didn't draft him. He was a scrub at Phoenix before coming to bean town.
HossAg
AG
Why do they have to draft him for it to be a good example? He was their franchise player that everyone loved and out of no where they trade him. Saying the team has to draft him for it to count is stupid.
CactusThomas
AG
Because, why would anyone see an issue with trading a player that was traded to you?

What kind of loyalty are you looking for? Teams acquire players only when someone on their roster retires?
aggie_fan13
AG
i wouldnt say he was a franchise player he had a handful of moments, but he was a town favorite.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.