Thoughts on trading DSJ?

2,975 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by M.C. Swag
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen some chatter online about rumors the Mav's are exploring trade offers for Dennis Smith Jr.

What are your thoughts? IMO, I'd hang onto him for another year or so and see how he develops. Otherwise, I'd want something really good in return trade wise.

I'm not sure how well he fits with a Luka centric offense. BUT, he could still develop into a really good player.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Never heard of him so he is really not a factor in nba trades except as a low salary nobody
COAg15
AG
Shut it down folks, this guys never heard of him!
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't want to give him away (he has a lot of potential), but I don't think he's a good fit with Luka. If there's a good option in a trade, I'll take it. It just depends on what's out there.
gordo97
AG
Who do you want for him in return?
M.C. Swag
AG
I can't stand the "trade DSJ" contingent. I love the kid. He's done everything asked of him and is being punished for getting drafted a year before Luka. I hope this is another cooked up story by McMahon.
Mike Elko
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Never heard of him so he is really not a factor in nba trades except as a low salary nobody

Then you don't know s*** about basketball. But, we all realized that a long time ago.
PatAg
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I can't stand the "trade DSJ" contingent. I love the kid. He's done everything asked of him and is being punished for getting drafted a year before Luka. I hope this is another cooked up story by McMahon.

Yea, I've been tired of McMahons coverage in every sport for a while now.
True Anomaly
AG
No no no no never never never no never

...that being said, I'll go along with my leader Jake and give this Luka-DSJ pairing a full season to see how they gel, and even with a full offseason together to see how this works out.
West Texan
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Then you don't know s*** about basketball. But, we all realized that a long time ago.

Ignore mookie. He's smarter than every NBA gm ever. Just ask him.
mavsfan4ever
AG
If someone is dumb enough to give up a top 5 pick, I'd snap accept. But I doubt offers like that are coming.
chris1515
AG
I thought it was a Mark Stein report that sparked all the talk.

M.C. Swag
AG
chris1515 said:

I thought it was a Mark Stein report that sparked all the talk.

He initially reported that 'other front offices' are inquiring about DSJ's availability and then McMahon piled on with his own report which added the 'Mavs front office is gauging interest as well.'
Carlo4
AG
ESPN hinting that DSJ and Matthews most likely out to Phoenix or Orlando...
M.C. Swag
AG
Wes Matthews needs to go. Absolutely.

But DSJ...man, I hope the Mavs know what they're doing.
Old School Brother
He gone
chris1515
AG
What do you think we would get for DSJ?

Trading a young and talented lottery pick that is nowhere near his peak should be worth a lot I hope.
M.C. Swag
AG
chris1515 said:

What do you think we would get for DSJ?

Trading a young and talented lottery pick that is nowhere near his peak should be worth a lot I hope.
Totally wild speculation at this point but I think the Mavs would want to target:
1) Gordon (deal would need to include Wes Matthews)
2) Isaac
3) Bamba

^in that order from the Magic. Now obviously it's a matter of debate in terms of what would the magic would be willing to give up for DSJ but those 3 names above represent the best 'return' for the Mavs.
chris1515
AG
Gordon would be ok.

The other two, look pretty unimpressive. I know with Bamba it's way too early to tell...but he is off to a pretty slow start it looks like.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/orl

M.C. Swag
AG
chris1515 said:

Gordon would be ok.

The other two, look pretty unimpressive. I know with Bamba it's way too early to tell...but he is off to a pretty slow start it looks like.

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/orl

Bamba and Isaac are both young and extremely raw. Isaac specifically has all the physical attributes of a lock down, switchable defender from the 1 through 4 position. Defensively, he's an ideal fit for the Mavs. He has some work to do on his offense but that's ok. He's the same age as DSJ so there's plenty of room for growth.

Gordon is more than OK. He'd be a borderline All-Star next to Luka. He's a Super Saiyan Dwight Powell. Shoots 38% from 3 and can defend everyone. Not only that, but he's 23 and his contract decreases every year with his 4th year only being $18m. That's an absolute steal. I don't think the Magic would part with Gordon, but if he did, it'd be an absolute coup. Mavs fan should rejoice if they're able to offload Wes and a (reportededly) disgruntled DSJ for Gordon. 100% roster upgrade and foundational piece for a championship future.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.