Updated Bill Simmons NBA trade rankings

5,410 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spoiler - Doncic is ranked really high!

http://tradevalue.theringer.com/

M.C. Swag
AG
lol i don't understand how he has AD as 'utterly untouchable' when AD is literally on the cusp of being traded. Like I agree with the sentiment (AD is a franchise altering talent that could never receive fair value in a trade) but classifying these tiers with that verbiage is kinda weird.

I'd just stick to Tier 1: Elite of Elite/Hardware guys; Tier 2: Future hardware guys; Tier 3: All NBA talents, Tier 3: All stars, etc.

Doncic is absolutely one of the highest trade value targers. He's cheap, he's young, and he's already producing at an all-star level talent. That's literally the definition of a prime asset.
M.C. Swag
AG
btw I'd 100% trade Ben Simmons right now for De'Aaron Fox if I was Philly. Not a fan of Simmons' game at all. He's useless on offense if he never develops even a threat of a jumper.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^De'Aaron Fox doesn't get talked about enough and likely will be the best PG in what was considered at the time a pretty loaded PG class. But I definitely would keep Simmons over Fox. Jumpshot or not, he's still averaging only two points less per game than Fox. Throw in a higher rebounding, assists, and PER and I don't see how anyone can say they can make that trade, much less 100% make that trade.
M.C. Swag
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

^De'Aaron Fox doesn't get talked about enough and likely will be the best PG in what was considered at the time a pretty loaded PG class. But I definitely would keep Simmons over Fox. Jumpshot or not, he's still averaging only two points less per game than Fox. Throw in a higher rebounding, assists, and PER and I don't see how anyone can say they can make that trade, much less 100% make that trade.

I mean it's my opinion. Ive felt for awhile that Ben is overrated (and hated that he won RoY as a second year player). I specifically looked to see who was behind Ben in the trade value column and saw Fox. Dude is unreal. I was at the Mavs game vs the Kings and Fox made some amazing plays. I also love his attitude.

Basically, I'd do it is all I'm saying. I just watched Ben Simmons get shutdown in the playoffs. Offensively he's too easy to stop and doesn't really fit next to Embiid. Philly as a team makes more sense with Fox at PG than Ben to me. And my own gut about Simmons tells me he won't be a top 20 player until he even attempts an outside jumper (let alone makes em).
M.C. Swag
AG
lol Bill Simmons discussed his Trade Value column on his latest podcast. It's pretty entertaining hearing him try to defend Tatum as the #9 player.
chris1515
AG
Would you trade Doncic for LeBron right now?

Would the Mav's with LeBron make the finals? Would you trade that title for potentially 15 years of high level Doncic?
M.C. Swag
AG
chris1515 said:

Would you trade Doncic for LeBron right now?

Would the Mav's with LeBron make the finals? Would you trade that title for potentially 15 years of high level Doncic?

No. Couldn't do it. I'd need at least 5 years of guaranteed MVP level play. So like for a guy like AD, I'd do it. But as great as Lebron is, time will eventually catch up.
M.C. Swag
AG
Simmons just made the longest jump shot of his career...at 22 feet.

Recent Deadspin article talks about how Boston is able to sag off Simmons because he's completely incapable (or unwilling) to shoot from the outside:

"Yes, Ben Simmons's 22-footera bailout turnaround jumper with the shot clock running down, but a midrange jumper nonetheless!was the longest made shot of his NBA career.

Simmons was good in the Christmas loss, scoring 11 points on 4-of-9 shooting, plus 14 boards and eight assists, though with four turnovers. But Philadephia's offense ultimately runs through Joel Embiid and Jimmy Butler, and both men's jobs are made that much harder by opponents knowing they don't have to worry about Simmons's jumper.

Consistently throughout the game, the Celtics pulled a defender off Simmons and double-teamed elsewhere, particularly on Butler in the pick-and-roll or Embiid in the post. Both men still got their points, but they also combined for 10 turnoverssix by Embiid, who as the game went on found himself with the ball less and less.

This is potentially to be read as criticism of Brett Brown's gameplan, but it's also a function of the realities of the personnel on the court, and when a team finds itself playing basically 4-on-5 on offense because your opponent doesn't fear your point guard's shot, eventually you're going to stop passing into that double-team down low."

Simmons can't be an elite NBA player without that jump shot. He only makes it harder on his teammates.
ATM9000
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Recent Deadspin article talks about how Boston is able to sag off Simmons because he's completely incapable (or unwilling) to shoot from the outside:

"Yes, Ben Simmons's 22-footera bailout turnaround jumper with the shot clock running down, but a midrange jumper nonetheless!was the longest made shot of his NBA career.

Simmons was good in the Christmas loss, scoring 11 points on 4-of-9 shooting, plus 14 boards and eight assists, though with four turnovers. But Philadephia's offense ultimately runs through Joel Embiid and Jimmy Butler, and both men's jobs are made that much harder by opponents knowing they don't have to worry about Simmons's jumper.

Consistently throughout the game, the Celtics pulled a defender off Simmons and double-teamed elsewhere, particularly on Butler in the pick-and-roll or Embiid in the post. Both men still got their points, but they also combined for 10 turnoverssix by Embiid, who as the game went on found himself with the ball less and less.

This is potentially to be read as criticism of Brett Brown's gameplan, but it's also a function of the realities of the personnel on the court, and when a team finds itself playing basically 4-on-5 on offense because your opponent doesn't fear your point guard's shot, eventually you're going to stop passing into that double-team down low."

Simmons can't be an elite NBA player without that jump shot. He only makes it harder on his teammates.

So he can't or doesn't shoot... sure it is a hole in his game, but you have so many big men and wings who can shoot and D up that you can build around the shortfall. Simmons literally does everything else at such a high level that building around that shortfall is easy. There's no hard and fast rule or silver bullet that makes it an absolute that your PG must be a good shooter.. you just have to build your team a bit differently around it... but how's that different than any other superstar and how you build around them.
M.C. Swag
AG
In a vacuum, yea it's not a huge deal. But in the scope of their roster construction and how the NBA world views him it is. The 76ers have 0 players outside of Butler that can shot create for themselves and outside of Reddick none of them are actual shooting threats. The way Simmons is limited in outside shooting creates a congestion of defenders in the paint and makes Philly an effortless team to defend which allows opposing teams to weylay them when Philly goes on D. Is Simmons a really good player? Yea. Is he a top 10 league mvp candidate? No way. Does his skill set fit within his own roster? Hardly. He'd be perfect for a team like Boston, or hell, even Dallas. I just can't get over the fact that this guy is supposed to be the next Lebron when he doesn't even know which hand to shoot with.
M.C. Swag
AG
MW03
AG
Porzingis
M.C. Swag
AG
Simmons updated his rankings:

MW03
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Simmons updated his rankings:

Can't read it. It won't scroll past the honorable mentions.
94chem
Quote:

Bill or Ben?
M.C. Swag
AG
Ben Simmons sucks
M.C. Swag
AG
Iowaggie
AG
I'm sure Bill Simmons and ownership are excited to meet all demands.

The tweet has their current demands.

Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie said:

I'm sure Bill Simmons and ownership are excited to meet all demands.

The tweet has their current demands.

RIP the Ringer.
hph6203
AG
Seems pretty light depending on their salary and severance demands. Revenue sharing seems stupid, but I don't know that industry well.
PatAg
AG
Pretty dumb move on their part.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.