Scoring up?

1,980 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Seven Costanza
Dddfff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Casual NBA fan here... what is up with the ridiculous scores? Is it basically uncontested 3 point contest and layup drills?
Iowaggie
AG
The NBA didn't believe there were enough trips to the free throw line every night, so the refs were told to tighten up on the touch fouls.

I expect a team like the Rockets or Warriors to put up 90-100 points in a half at least once this year.
M.C. Swag
AG
Combination of a couple things, the biggest of which;

- New "freedom of movement" rules which governs touch fouls on off-ball players. Hopefully like the new QB rules in weeks 1/2 of the NFL, these nba refs are just making a point early.

- It's the first week of the season. Every year across the board, teams play fast (they're usually healthy and rested). The pace will naturally slow down as the minutes, games, and injuries stack up.

I expect the avg scoring to normalize after another week or two.
3rdGen2015
AG
Don't forget the new rule that resets the shot clock to 14 instead of 24 after an offensive rebound is pushing scoring up too.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Jordan was asked what he would average with the new NBA rules and he said probably 20 a night

The reporter said but Mike you averaged 30 a game and 34 in the playoffs

Jordan replied yeah but I am 55 years old

Bonfired
AG
Iowaggie said:

The NBA didn't believe there were enough trips to the free throw line every night, so the refs were told to tighten up on the touch fouls.

I expect a team like the Rockets or Warriors to put up 90-100 points in a half at least once this year.

Warriors hit that tonight...92 against the Bulls. 42 point halftime lead. Damn.
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."--Steven Wright
Iowaggie
AG
Now I could see the Warriors trying to get 100 points in the first half some night (just out of boredom), and while it could certainly be against a bad team defensive team like the Wizards, Hawks, or Cavs, I could also see them trying to do it as a challenge against a "good" defensive team.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The KD move to GS was terrible for the NBA product on the floor. It's going to have long lasting reverberations because of how successful they've been. Probably good for the NBA from a publicity standpoint overall, but I just don't get as excited watching games between my non-teams as I used to (I'm a Spurs fan)
Obi Wan Ginobili
MookieBlaylock said:

Jordan was asked what he would average with the new NBA rules and he said probably 20 a night

The reporter said but Mike you averaged 30 a game and 34 in the playoffs

Jordan replied yeah but I am 55 years old

Did he really say this? What a legend.
Hnander
Iowaggie said:

hnander
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't have any data on this, but it seems like it's starting to trend back down a bit over the last week. We're still seeing high scoring games, but it doesn't seem to be as frequent. Could be wrong, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.