*****OFFICIAL 2018-2019 Houston Rockets*****

717,901 Views | 9025 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rvk246
AG@RICE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG@RICE
AG
oops dp:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25209229/why-carmelo-anthony-fit-oklahoma-city-different-houston-nba

Quote:

The Rockets are a bottom-10 defense with [Melo] on the floor (111.2 points per 100 possessions) and awesome without him (100.9 points per 100 possessions, right behind NBA-best Boston's 100.8). Again, small sample size and all that, but yikes.
Bulldog73
AG
1.3 point differential when he's in? I (clearly) don't understand advanced metrics, but that does not seem like a bigger differential at all.

- It has been established I failed at reading comprehension. I'll leave this here for posterity and proof of my fallibility.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Bulldog73 said:

1.3 point differential when he's in? I (clearly) don't understand advanced metrics, but that does not seem like a bigger differential at all.
agdaddy04
AG
I think you may need to re-read that article.
Bulldog73
AG
Yeah, I read it 109.0... Never-mind I is dumb.
WES2006AG
AG
No Westbrick again tonight for the Thunder
Dan Scott
AG
Chris Webber and Marv Albert don't realize that Eric Gordon isn't playing.
canadiaggie
AG
No movement and no discipline.

Morey needs to make a move.
WES2006AG
AG
That was a long st retch between baskets
Hickory High
AG
Panic time
3rdGen2015
AG
CP3, Melo, are you there? Hello? The game started over an hour ago. The second unit with Harden and Capela on the bench looked horrible.
WES2006AG
AG
The offense is horrible
Dan Scott
AG
This used to be fun
WES2006AG
AG
This has been embarrassing. Really hope this garbage doesn't infect the whole season but right now we are not anywhere close to being a good team.
canadiaggie
AG
Yeaaaah I'm starting to think it's worry time now.
Hickory High
AG
WES2006AG said:

Really hope this garbage doesn't infect the whole season
It already has
3rdGen2015
AG
I'm trying really hard to not overreact, but damn we're a bad team right now
mwm
Can they break 80?
Good Poster
AG
Is Carmelo shooting 9% good
WES2006AG
AG
Money Ag said:

Is Carmelo shooting 9% good

Can we leave him in OKC?
Ags #1
AG
His only make was. A Goal tend
TXAG14
Carmelo is going to get himself thrown into a mid season trade if he doesn't start performing.
WES2006AG
AG
TXAG14 said:

Carmelo is going to get himself thrown into a mid season trade if he doesn't start performing.

With how much he sucks at basketball now I can't imagine he has any value at all.
M.C. Swag
AG
TXAG14 said:

No one is trading for a player on a vet min. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Carmelo will simply be cut.
Harry Dunne
M.C. Swag said:

TXAG14 said:

No one is trading for a player on a vet min. Doesn't make a lick of sense. Carmelo will simply be cut.

Nonsense, it happens all the time. Most recently Miami and Dwyane Wade. It also happens often ( Joe Johnson and Derrick Rose in that big trade last season) where they are in there just to make numbers work and the other team turns around and waives them.

Not that I think Melo is going to be a hot commodity, but it doesn't have anything to do with him being on the veterans minimum. If anything, that makes him easier to trade straight up for something like a second round draft pick without having to make salaries match up. Not that he's playing anywhere close to the level of warranting a second round pick, but theoretically.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^Bingo. And there will always be teams that are in love with the idea of having a big name on the roster to draw in attendance, no matter how much he's lost it. There are still diehards out there that think Carmelo didn't get a fair shot in OKC and that's he's less than two years removed from being a 20PPG All-Star.

It's the same thing that happened with Iverson.
Harry Dunne
Head Ninja In Charge said:

^Bingo. And there will always be teams that are in love with the idea of having a big name on the roster to draw in attendance, no matter how much he's lost it. There are still diehards out there that think Carmelo didn't get a fair shot in OKC and that's he's less than two years removed from being a 20PPG All-Star.

It's the same thing that happened with Iverson.

Diehards like Daryl Morey?

I kid. He's a steal at the vet minimum in the right role. He'd be great in the David West 12 minutes per game role with the Warriors, but I don't think even they would have won the last two championships if they had Carmelo playing 30 per night.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol i'm not saying it doesnt happen...im saying it wont happen. Maybe someone will swap 2 garbage/nothing players but theres not a chance any team gives up an actual draft commodity (even in the 2nd round) for a washed, me-first, vet like Melo.

He's playing himself into retirement and I would be shocked if he was collecting game checks in the 2019-2020* season.

* - edit for the obvious typo
nkc1981
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I would be shocked if he was collecting game checks in the 2018-2019 season.

Prepare to be shocked, cause we've got some news for you...
3rdGen2015
AG
M.C. Swag said:

lol i'm not saying it doesnt happen...im saying it wont happen. Maybe someone will swap 2 garbage/nothing players but theres not a chance any team gives up an actual draft commodity (even in the 2nd round) for a washed, me-first, vet like Melo.

He's playing himself into retirement and I would be shocked if he was collecting game checks in the 2018-2019 season.
I'll bet you whatever you want that he will be collecting game checks in the 2018-2019 season
M.C. Swag
AG
lol typo
Harry Dunne
I disagree again.

Like I said, he's a bargain and would be great as the 10-12 minute veteran off the bench. You don't think he's better in that role than Joe Johnson was last year? Getting paid the vet minimum?

Your mistake imo is setting your expectations in line with what Melo used to be and with what he used to get paid. He's a damn good value and your grievance should be with Morey for misjudging the situation and surrounding him with a roster that requires 30 minutes a game out of him.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol nah, I have/had 0 expectations for Melo for 3 years. I can show you my post history about Melo. I 100% believed he was washed last year, but I understood why the rockets signed him. There was no risk. Here's my exact post in July when it was rumored he would sign with Houston: Melo Sucks

Quote:

I don't see value in Melo at all. At this point i think he should be out of the league. Dude just posted the worst year of his career. And even at his peak, I'm not sure what he adds to the rockets that they even need. He's not a defender, rim protector, rebounder or distributor. He's just another iso player and at this stage of his career has pretty much limited himself to shooting 3s....(which might I add is below average).

He seems like a decent of enough locker room guy but he's not without drama. Remember, this is the guy who routinely shows up in the off season overweight and is just over a year removed from his public affair scandal.

I wouldn't want him on any of my teams. At best, he's taking shots and minutes away from future developmental guys. At worst, he brings exactly what he was a year ago.

But talking about the risk of signing melo vs what melo is as a player right now are two very different distinctions.

I'm baffled he's in the league still. Reducing his minutes would do nothing imo, but maybe you're right and some GM could fool themselvs into thinking there's even a shred of production left in an aging ISO player who has never played defense nor plays off-ball.
Harry Dunne
Well we agree on one thing, and that's that he's not very good anymore. Certainly not good enough to play 30 minutes a game for a contender.

That you think he's not good enough to be in the league and play 10-15 per at the vet minimum makes me think that you're not looking at the numbers at all but just going by your feeling that "he sucks"...and you're not neccessarily wrong, but it's all relative. If there were better big men out there with his skill set to be had for his salary, we would have them.

As far as reducing his minutes, it's pretty simple math. If you aren't as good with him out there, the fewer minutes he's out there the better you will be. It's the same premise with just about every bench player vs. every starter. The more capable your bench, the more minutes they can play, but there is going to be a dropoff regardless of who you put in there when CP, Harden & Capela come out. And not every bench player can be Eric Gordon or Lou Williams. If you have a big man that can shoot 35% from 3 AND play defense, he is not going to be a bench player.

So saying that he's not a capable 10 to 15 minute bench player is just wrong...but that's assuming you have a better player to put out there, which we don't, which is the problem.
First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 258

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.