Carmelo

4,109 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Forum Troll
AG
Well the Rockets have the MLE to give stil, haven't resigned Luc, and Ariza is gone, so.....
Forum Troll
AG
Post removed:
by user
Iowaggie
AG
MyNameIsKyle said:

If he's willing to be a 20-25 mpg 6th man then he's valuable, if he still thinks he is a focal point, he's a problem.

He can say he's willing to do whatever to sign with a winning team, but the reality is that he's better off in the Nets or Knicks organization.

But if he would go to Washington and sign with the Wizards, the John Wall, Howard, Carmelo lineup could rival the Laker's team of characters.
DTP02
AG
That signing by OKC never made any sense. Still surprised Presti went that direction. I know RC, his mentor, never would have done it.
45-70Ag
AG
Deluxe
AG
Quote:

Who is Carmelo Anthony, really?

Olympic Melo
is the platonic ideal of the NBA stretch forward: a player that can hold his own on the block, stretch the floor, and take on an efficient, low-usage offensive role. With the shorter FIBA 3-point line, surrounded by All-Star teammates and playing against inferior athletes, Carmelo Anthony has been a literal world-beater.

Hoodie Melo
is different.

Hoodie Melo was honed in Baltimore parks and school gyms, a talented young player getting his own shot, pounding the ball into the high-post and lining up that sweet, high-arcing midrange jumper. If you're a shooter, you can hear the sound: the lightest of swishes, maybe with a little ring from the basket bracket. Pure.

If you've ever played, if you've ever felt that moment when you're truly cooking, when you fade back and see your opponent's face and know you have him beaten before the ball hits the bottom of the net, you understand. It's a drug. And it's one that Carmelo Anthony just can't quit.

The Thunder brought Anthony in hoping they could get him to buy into a smaller offensive role. And to give him credit, he tried. As his usage dropped, Steven Adams came to the fore, with his rim-running unlocking the court where Melo's high-post game had padlocked the paint. Billy Donovan found a couple of plays that worked with each player's skillset. The offense breathed slightly easier.

But there was always a tension there not between Melo and his teammates, but between Olympic Melo and Hoodie Melo. You could see it in every screen he slipped to pop out and in the occasional hijacked high-post possession. And it boiled over at the end of the season, when a disjointed Thunder team was blindsided by a sharp, disciplined Jazz squad in the first round of the playoffs.
http://dailythunder.com/melos-money-means-tough-choices-for-the-thunder/

This is the perfect description of current Melo.

He's still immensely talented and probably still one of the premiere block scorers in the NBA. But he's not a good passer off the block so when the ball is fed to him, movement stops and your possession hangs in the balance of whether or not he knocks down his hand-in-face fadeaway. He's better at knocking down hand-in-face fadeaways than most players, but there's not really a place for it in today's game of scoping out high percentage twos and threes.

He's also remarkably unaware of any of that. He still seems to think of himself as a top tier player and I suppose he could still be a 23 and 10 guy. But any team that designs its offense such that Melo gets his 23 and 10 will be a very very bad team.

That doesn't even mention how bad he is in switch defense. He was horrible with help defense in OKC last year too, though I think part of that was 1) getting used to his rotations at the 4 instead of the 3 (as he had not played the 4 much in the NBA) and 2) the loss of Roberson severely hampered OKC's perimeter D...which left Melo in help situations too many times.

With that said, I was impressed with the way he handled the situation in OKC last year. He said the right things. He was willing to scale back his role. Overall he seemed like a very good dude. There's just his lingering identity crisis between 1) things he's good at and wants to do on the court and 2) things he needs to be doing if he wants to be part of an efficient offense. If he didn't have hundreds of millions in the bank, I'd probably feel bad for him haha.

If I was the Rockets, I'd probably steer clear. But I also think Houston might need to take a chance on him for the same reason why OKC took a chance on him last year. Sitting in Presti's chair before the season, he knew the team as constructed with Kanter/McDermott had no chance against Golden State. And the team with Melo instead of Kanter/McDermott likely had no chance against Golden State. But there was an upside with Olympic Melo that made it worth the gamble. It didn't pay off but it's not like the season would have turned out much different with Kanter/McDermott on the roster.

At this point, the Rockets maybe feel the need to do something to counter Boogie to Golden State. I suppose it's possible Melo (if he's willing to truly accept his new optimal role in the NBA) could help offset that. I don't see it, but Morey and D'Antoni are pretty smart dudes. Maybe they can make it work. Though I'm disappointed with how last year played out with the Thunder, I'll still root for Melo and the Rockets if for no other reason than they represent the best chance to beat Golden State.
M.C. Swag
AG
I don't see value in Melo at all. At this point i think he should be out of the league. Dude just posted the worst year of his career. And even at his peak, I'm not sure what he adds to the rockets that they even need. He's not a defender, rim protector, rebounder or distributor. He's just another iso player and at this stage of his career has pretty much limited himself to shooting 3s....(which might I add is below average).

He seems like a decent of enough locker room guy but he's not without drama. Remember, this is the guy who routinely shows up in the off season overweight and is just over a year removed from his public affair scandal.

I wouldn't want him on any of my teams. At best, he's taking shots and minutes away from future developmental guys. At worst, he brings exactly what he was a year ago.
Nino Brown
Depending on the deal I can see some value with the Rockets. He's not gonna be a locker room problem for one reason, CP3 won't allow it and they are close enough to give it a run. It's a new NBA we follow, the Rockets are concerned with staying somewhat in the spotlight to keep driving sponsorship revenue and merchandise sales. And if it's not working out half way through the year he can just fake an injury and sit out the rest of the season.
ATM9000
AG
I take Carmelo's last season with a grain of salt because Russ Westbrook tends to bring out everyone's B game.

People need to shift their paradigms of what Carmelo is and means at this point. He's not a superstar anymore and the league and he knows that. The Rockets are going all out for him because he's probably the best cheap swing man left out there. If he's talking about playing for the Rockets for peanuts, he's coming in to be a role player not a superstar.
Poot
I don't see Melo as a 3 at all. He's going to need to be a 4. I suppose a line-up at crunch time of CP3, Harden, Gordon, Melo and Capela would be pretty salty. But that depth... right now I think Gerald Green would be the starting 3... yikes.

Honestly, I'm OK with letting Luc go, even for 4.3. And Ariza at $15 mil/year? Reminds me of Parsons' departure. Those 2 are just guys. I trust in Morey to fill out the roster.
Guitarsoup
AG
Nm
PascalsWager
AG
Forget about a 3, someone will probably try Carmelo as a small ball 5.

For the Rockets it comes down to this question: Can Carmelo guard Draymond?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I think it's can melo keep draymond off the boards and fast break. When draymond camps at the threes point line no one has to guard him. Rockets just dared him to shoot 3s in the WCF.
M.C. Swag
AG
PascalsWager said:

Forget about a 3, someone will probably try Carmelo as a small ball 5.

For the Rockets it comes down to this question: Can Carmelo guard Draymond?
Can Carmelo guard anyone?
Deluxe
AG
The worrisome part of the Melo/Draymond matchup (at least as it played out in the last two OKC-GS matchups last year) is that Draymond knows exactly how to get in Melo's head. He talks a lot of **** and gets really physical with him. Obviously Draymond does this with a lot of guys, but it works especially well with Melo because Melo thinks he's still 2010 Melo on he court. So Melo gets really competitive and doesn't want to back down from Draymond challenge. This leads to lots of classic Melo missed 20 foot hand-in-face fadeaways.
Deluxe
AG
Huge props to the Rockets for just cutting the cord with Melo. I respect an organization that can tell quickly when something isn't working and make a change. Obviously he wasn't the Rockets only problem during their rough start, but he was a big one.

Melo just doesn't fit in today's game. Can't play perimeter defense. Can't play help defense. Doesn't close out. And his offensive game is a relic of NBA past.

I think if any team could have made it work, it was the Rockets by basically forcing him to play within their system. But unfortunately Melo just doesn't have the tools to play a support role in that system.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Melo from here. Surely no team that has playoff aspirations will want him. And I don't really see why a rebuilding team would want to waste time on him.
Texaggie7nine
He will sell tickets for a low market team
7nine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.