NBA Players 'disdain' Stephen Curry and He Doesn't Understand It

5,900 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Harry Dunne
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-james-doesnt-like-stephen-curry-2017-4

Interesting article. I think a majority of the Warriors ranging from the team to Kerr have little to no self awareness with how their team, attitude and actions are received by the masses. I am sure some people envy Curry for his rise, he does himself no favors with the shimmying crap, pretending to poop on Cleveland's court, and other childish and arrogant things he does.
Pumpkinhead
AG
1) He came from an upper class family and grew up around the NBA.
2) He is a normal sized, normal looking guy who can barely dunk. Colleges barely recruited him out of high school.
3) He routinely kicks their asses and always looks like he is having a blast while doing it.
4) LeBron not getting along with Kyrie Irving was a much bigger deal. Also, seems guys like Klay, Durant, and Green seem to like playing with Steph...so....
5) LeBron has done just as much trash talking back at the Warriors (e.g., see the Steph Curry jersey wearing corpse that LeBron had at his 2016 Halloween party).

Quote:

Back in October, at James' Halloween party that made headlines for its mock tombstones that memorialized the Warriors' lost 3-1 Finals lead, sources told ESPN.com there was even a dummy dressed up like Curry on the floor of the haunted house that guests had no choice but to walk over when they arrived to get to the party.
Curry is awesome. I love watching a normal looking human destroy freakish athletic NBA players who look like they were grown in a lab.
PascalsWager
AG
I think its weird that people don't like him. Its HIS team. ANY star would want Durant to be on their team. I can't fault the Warriors organisation for drafting well and signing good contracts and then signing Durant. I can't blame their original 3 allstars, the fans, or any part of the Warriors except 1.

The blame, the fault, the rage, the hate should all be directed towards Durant. He got on a team that allows him to play 3 or 4 above average games in the ENTIRE playoffs and still cakewalk to the title. And NO ONE in the media holds his feet to fire. Frankly its surprising to me that EVERY SINGLE player in the league doesn't try to get on the Warriors.

In 2018 there's no personal cost or price to merely getting on Curry's team and riding coattails to easy title after easy title. Anyone who's already made good money should be taking veteran minimum contracts and getting on that team (LeBron and CP3). Because you can win by merely showing up and still get 100% credit.
Saint Pablo
Most of that is fair. A lot of the on court crap drives me absolutely insane and then the fact that KD went to GS is equally bothersome to me. I think those two reasons and the fact he is small and looks less macho are the biggest reasons that guys in the NBA don't like Curry.
BBQ4Me
AG
I just hate when he chews on his mouthpiece
Saint Pablo
PascalsWager said:

I think its weird that people don't like him. Its HIS team. ANY star would want Durant to be on their team. I can't fault the Warriors organisation for drafting well and signing good contracts and then signing Durant. I can't blame their original 3 allstars, the fans, or any part of the Warriors except 1.

The blame, the fault, the rage, the hate should all be directed towards Durant. He got on a team that allows him to play 3 or 4 above average games in the ENTIRE playoffs and still cakewalk to the title. And NO ONE in the media holds his feet to fire. Frankly its surprising to me that EVERY SINGLE player in the league doesn't try to get on the Warriors.

In 2018 there's no personal cost or price to merely getting on Curry's team and riding coattails to easy title after easy title. Anyone who's already made good money should be taking veteran minimum contracts and getting on that team (LeBron and CP3). Because you can win by merely showing up and still get 100% credit.
I agree that people should dislike Durant far more and I do
Bassmaster
AG
UMichAg said:

I just hate when he chews on his mouthpiece
This! When you are chewing on it 99% of the time you are on the court, what is the point in having it? Just get some gum, man.
500,000ags
AG
Durant is a professional coward IMO. His latest comments about needing validation from his peers would have never been reiterated by 99% of the all-time greats. Plus, his solution for his insecurity was to join the best team in the NBA and "validate" himself by winning. Smfh, that doesn't even make any sense.
PascalsWager
AG
Quote:

Durant is a professional coward IMO. His latest comments about needing validation from his peers would have never been reiterated by 99% of the all-time greats. Plus, his solution for his insecurity was to join the best team in the NBA and "validate" himself by winning. Smfh, that doesn't even make any sense.
I totally agree. The problem is, people can't stop praising the guy. In my opinion before the Durant "decision", the NBA media was one of the best at covering the sport. So many smart people and so many good takes, especially the further from ESPN you get. Grantland alumni and now the Ringer is still great at covering the league.

BUT they broke my entire trust when they paraded Durant around like some brave hero. He essentially got to join that team without any consequences. And we're all supposed to pretend like he's achieving some amazing accomplishment by winning over and over while he's out there exerting 40% effort and giving dud performance after dud performance. The WORST part of it is the "Tsk Tsk" we get from these people when we let them know that we are NOT impressed by Durant as an individual.

We're looking at a world where as long as they stay healthy and together Durant is going to be remembered as the best player on 4 to 5 titles in a row. And in the end his legacy probably makes him the 2nd or 3rd greatest player of all time, if not he GOAT. He's won emphatically and completely no matter what irrelevant fans like you or I say.
claym711
AG
Curry is probably the least hatable star in the NBA. Basically just plays and dominates. Shoulder shimmy vs chest pounding mean mugging stuff others do. People are starting to hate because he wins.

People hated lebron. Now that he has lost several finals, people want to pull for him.
mazag08
AG
Curry is admirable as a player, but loses it all with the rest of his in game actions. He comes off like a punk who thinks his **** doesn't stink. But he actually backs it up.. so there's only so much you can hate him.
nkc1981
AG
claym711 said:

Curry is probably the least hatable star in the NBA.

I dont think thats the consensus at all outside of warriors "fans". Maybe a year or two ago, but I think a lot of people get annoyed by him these days. Hard to put my finger on what it is exactly but his mannerisms and body language on the court just annoy the **** out of me. Can respect how good of a shooter he is, but he just really bugs me watching him play. Between him and draymond and KD, the Warriors team collectively are extrememly unlikable.
QBCade
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

1) He came from an upper class family and grew up around the NBA.
2) He is a normal sized, normal looking guy who can barely dunk. Colleges barely recruited him out of high school.
3) He routinely kicks their asses and always looks like he is having a blast while doing it.
4) LeBron not getting along with Kyrie Irving was a much bigger deal. Also, seems guys like Klay, Durant, and Green seem to like playing with Steph...so....
5) LeBron has done just as much trash talking back at the Warriors (e.g., see the Steph Curry jersey wearing corpse that LeBron had at his 2016 Halloween party).

Quote:

Back in October, at James' Halloween party that made headlines for its mock tombstones that memorialized the Warriors' lost 3-1 Finals lead, sources told ESPN.com there was even a dummy dressed up like Curry on the floor of the haunted house that guests had no choice but to walk over when they arrived to get to the party.
Curry is awesome. I love watching a normal looking human destroy freakish athletic NBA players who look like they were grown in a lab.

NBA players that don't like him are just jealous, period. Yes, he like to stunt on folks, but he's a really good dude. Pretty down to earth especially for how famous he is.
PatAg
AG
mazag08 said:

Curry is admirable as a player, but loses it all with the rest of his in game actions. He comes off like a punk who thinks his **** doesn't stink. But he actually backs it up.. so there's only so much you can hate him.
If you are a fan of a team that has lost a tough series to the Warriors, your opinion isn't exactly the same as the rest of the nba.

I don't like the Warriors bandwagon fans, but I have no problem with Curry himself. Probably the worst thing is he has caused a lot of players to think they can mimic his game, when really he is the exception.
mazag08
AG
PatAg said:

mazag08 said:

If you are a fan of a team that has lost a tough series to the Warriors, your opinion isn't exactly the same as the rest of the nba.

I don't like the Warriors bandwagon fans, but I have no problem with Curry himself. Probably the worst thing is he has caused a lot of players to think they can mimic his game, when really he is the exception.

My opinion wasn't generated in the last two weeks, so there goes your theory. The poster who posted below my last post hit the nail on the head. I don't know if it's the mouthpiece, the smug smile when he doesn't think he fouled someone, or the shimmy. I'm not saying he's unique in this, but he's just as unlikeable as any other egotistical jackass. He just happens to always play well enough that you have to continue to respect him, even though he makes you cringe.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I hate Curry the same way I hated Kobe. I can't really tell you why I hate them, I just do.
Ulrich
As an NBA player, you may dislike LeBron, Durant, harden, Westbrook, etc., but you still know that one tiny slip and they can dunk all over you.

Curry's game is all finesse. He's so graceful it almost looks like he's dancing and he can barely dunk. That's got to be frustrating and hard to understand how he's so great when he doesn't measure up physically. But then he still dances around and makes faces like all the physical powerhouses do.
dmart90
AG
claym711 said:

People hated lebron. Now that he has lost several finals, people want to pull for him.
I still hate Lebron. Seems like a terrible teammate. Horrible attitude. Great player, though.
Scientific
AG
I don't think people hate him as much as they do Draymond or KD. It's centered around the fact he is the face of the Warriors. I don't hate Curry, as much as I do the other two.

I don't blame the organization for taking on Durant. I don't blame Curry or Thompson for staying with only team they know. But Draymond rides their coattails, and KD pretty much tarnished his legacy even worse to the biggest die hard of fans.

I hate the Warriors, but it didn't start until 2016.
jdubd34
AG
Scientific said:

I don't think people hate him as much as they do Draymond or KD. It's centered around the fact he is the face of the Warriors. I don't hate Curry, as much as I do the other two.

I don't blame the organization for taking on Durant. I don't blame Curry or Thompson for staying with only team they know. But Draymond rides their coattails, and KD pretty much tarnished his legacy even worse to the biggest die hard of fans.

I hate the Warriors, but it didn't start until 2016.

This is my opinion as well. GS was a very likeable great team before Durant because they relied on their ball movement offense with Curry and Thompson doing things we've never seen before. Now it just feels like they only need a great effort from 1 or 2 of their stars in a given game, and the others can just coast to wins.
C Loves L
1. I can't stand the mouth piece chewing
2. I can't stand his voice
3. I can't stand his facial expressions
4. I can't stand the air he breathes
ColoradoMooseHerd
I live in Northern California. A lot of people loved him 4 or 5 years ago, but a lot of people here are even tired of him. Yes everyone here knows they are the best team around and can beat anyone. Hell they had the best record ever and then added Durant. They should destroy all teams.

Most people are very tired of the shimmy and his dancing and his antics and that is people in his home area, not Houston, San Antonio or other fans.
Pumpkinhead
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I live in Northern California. A lot of people loved him 4 or 5 years ago, but a lot of people here are even tired of him. Yes everyone here knows they are the best team around and can beat anyone. Hell they had the best record ever and then added Durant. They should destroy all teams.

Most people are very tired of the shimmy and his dancing and his antics and that is people in his home area, not Houston, San Antonio or other fans.

Recent jersey sales indicate Curry is pretty popular. More of Curry's jersey's were sold last Fall than any other player in the NBA, including LeBron.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/16/steph-currys-jersey-is-most-popular-of-all-nba-players/

Quote:

Steph Curry's jersey is the top-selling NBA jersey, according to sales results on NBAStore.com from October through December.
Quote:

Second on the list is Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James, third is Warriors' Kevin Durant, fourth is Milwaukee Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo and fifth is New York Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis.

I think some of this knocking of Curry and the Warriors on TexAgs is way off base. I get it...they are dominant right now and that draws a lot of hate, just like the Patriots, Bama football, Kentucky & Duke basketball, etc. Because it is partly human nature to try to tear down the guy on top (unless it is YOUR guy!) and love the underdog.

But let's not kid ourselves. The Warriors are VERY popular right now compared to the other NBA teams. The top three jersey's sold are Curry, LeBron, and then Durant...two Warriors players in the top 3...ratings of Warriors game are higher than the others, lots of endorsement money is flowing to San Francisco, etc.

ColoradoMooseHerd
Pumpkinhead said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Recent jersey sales indicate Curry is pretty popular. More of Curry's jersey's were sold last Fall than any other player in the NBA, including LeBron.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/16/steph-currys-jersey-is-most-popular-of-all-nba-players/

Quote:

Steph Curry's jersey is the top-selling NBA jersey, according to sales results on NBAStore.com from October through December.
Quote:

Second on the list is Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James, third is Warriors' Kevin Durant, fourth is Milwaukee Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo and fifth is New York Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis.

I think some of this knocking of Curry and the Warriors on TexAgs is way off base. I get it...they are dominant right now and that draws a lot of hate, just like the Patriots, Bama football, Kentucky & Duke basketball, etc. Because it is partly human nature to try to tear down the guy on top (unless it is YOUR guy!) and love the underdog.

But let's not kid ourselves. The Warriors are VERY popular right now compared to the other NBA teams. The top three jersey's sold are Curry, LeBron, and then Durant...two Warriors players in the top 3...ratings of Warriors game are higher than the others, lots of endorsement money is flowing to San Francisco, etc.

Not sure your point. You can sell lots of jerseys and still be one of the most disliked players. Tom Brady has done it for years.

I am not a fan of Houston or San Antonio. I do live in Northern California. I can tell you only what I witness on daily basis, people believe that he is the greatest shooter to play the game. And people absolutely loved him when he one the first title and first mvp. But even people here have grown old of some of his act.

Pumpkinhead
AG
My point is that if there are folks in the Bay area wearing his jersey and his shoes and celebrating championship life, but at the same time are saying they are tired of his shimmies and dancing, well...okay then...I guess they have one of those love/hate things going on then. Perhaps just one of those luxuries of a spoiled fan base, like having to listen to Patriots or Bama football fans complain about Belichek, Brady, or Saban personality quirks.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Quote:

. The top three jersey's sold are Curry, LeBron, and then Durant...two Warriors players in the top 3...ratings of Warriors game are higher than the others, lots of endorsement money is flowing to San Francisco, etc.
So, three former MVPs and All Stars are the top jersey sales in the league? Color me shocked.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Quote:

. The top three jersey's sold are Curry, LeBron, and then Durant...two Warriors players in the top 3...ratings of Warriors game are higher than the others, lots of endorsement money is flowing to San Francisco, etc.
So, three former MVPs and All Stars are the top jersey sales in the league? Color me shocked.
Yep, all three of those guys have been really clean off the court and MVP awesome on the court. Not a shocker. At the end of the day, harmless stuff like shimmying and chewing a mouthpiece, or individual decisions by LeBron or Durant to choose what team they want to play on, are not going to move the needle down on how popular they still are.
ToHntortoFsh
The guys I like most are ones like Timmy and Kawhi who just play the game and play it well. A chest pound once in a while after a big play doesn't bother me. Admittedly I am a Spurs fan for life.

As for the Warriors, I used to like them but then they started really irritating the piss out of me. Curry throwing his mouth piece acting like a child, Draymond kicking people in the nuts and his schtick of acting like he doesnt know what reporters are talking about when they ask him questions he doesn't like, Durant is just weird the twitter thing and needing validation, Thompson I have no issue with and like, Zaza...well you know. I even hate Kerr now, mostly because of his denial of Zaza being a dirty sanchez lovin POS.

As a whole the flexing muscles, yelling after any dunk, shimmy, etc it just gets old.
Saint Pablo
ToHntortoFsh said:

The guys I like most are ones like Timmy and Kawhi who just play the game and play it well. A chest pound once in a while after a big play doesn't bother me. Admittedly I am a Spurs fan for life.

As for the Warriors, I used to like them but then they started really irritating the piss out of me. Curry throwing his mouth piece acting like a child, Draymond kicking people in the nuts and his schtick of acting like he doesnt know what reporters are talking about when they ask him questions he doesn't like, Durant is just weird the twitter thing and needing validation, Thompson I have no issue with and like, Zaza...well you know. I even hate Kerr now, mostly because of his denial of Zaza being a dirty sanchez lovin POS.

As a whole the flexing muscles, yelling after any dunk, shimmy, etc it just gets old.
Agreed
Mike Elko
AG
Anyone associated with Draymond Green. Sorry, Steph.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
claym711 said:

Curry is probably the least hatable star in the NBA. Basically just plays and dominates. Shoulder shimmy vs chest pounding mean mugging stuff others do. People are starting to hate because he wins.

Kawhi says hi.
amercer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

claym711 said:

Kawhi says hi.

Looks like you spoke a day too soon,
Harry Dunne
ToHntortoFsh said:

Mostly agree. Have always liked the Spurs and this is small compared to Draymond's antics, but the team and Duncan in particular were/are incessant crybabies about fouls. It's definitely an organizational thing - I remember seeing the entire bench in synchronization complaining about fouls like they were a studio audience with a cue card holder.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.